need some info about task manager/set priority

fitness88

High is good when runnig DCS.

Running applications at high priority may slow performance as other application get less I/O time.

Some of us even force it to High and only use chip cores and no Hyper threading using tools like Process lasso just to make sure DCS gets eveything it needs....

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I have 2 different programs that I run at the same time, DCS is one of them. Both are set to priority high by default.

Both programs are crashing at the same time after 15-30 minutes.

Should I reduce the priority of one of the programs to priority normal?

I'd set DCS to Above Normal and all others to normal. DCS just needs to be higher than others. Setting it High vs Above Normal wouldn't make it run any faster.

What is the other program running High? All process in Windows should run normal by default. Did you change anything to make them run High by default?

I'd set DCS to Above Normal and all others to normal. DCS just needs to be higher than others. Setting it High vs Above Normal wouldn't make it run any faster.

What is the other program running High? All process in Windows should run normal by default. Did you change anything to make them run High by default?

I didn't change anything in the priority settings and my understanding is any changes are only for the current session. By default at start of each prgram Big Screen app and DCS both run at priority High.

I will try what you suggested, manually reduce DCS to Above Normal and set Big Screen app to normal and see what happens.

Thanks...will let you know.

p.s. May be coincidence but I started noticing this issue after installing the latest DCS update version 2.5.6.55363.

I've used both programs at the same time today long enough to know that changing DCS to Above Normal and setting Big Screen app to normal corrected the issue...so thanks on that tip:thumbup:

But how do I change these priorities permanently so I don't have do this each time?

I've used both programs at the same time today long enough to know that changing DCS to Above Normal and setting Big Screen app to normal corrected the issue...so thanks on that tip:thumbup:

But how do I change these priorities permanently so I don't have do this each time?

Well, that's what I don't get. DCS.exe by default for me launches in Normal. I don't know why yours is launching at High by default.

Only dwm.exe which is Windows desktop management that runs at High for me. And that should remain high. dwm is important process.

If you don't want to figure out what is causing DCS High by default, I guess you can just force it using Process Lasso suggested by David OC above.

attachment.php?attachmentid=248771&stc=1&d=1601453631

DCSprocess.jpg.1f22aac20abf5c71a0a8479f48074864.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg