Is it possible to move a DCS install to a different SDD drive without reinstalling?

sandcat

Yes. I just moved everything to another drive, reconfigured Skatezilla's launcher app and did a repair. Also did some manual changes in the registry, but don't think that's important. Maybe for VAICOM. 50 second operation without the file move.

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Would it work if I duplicate the dcs install folder to the new drive, then uninstall, then reinstall on the new folder?

Will the game preserve settings for joystick and graphics after a uninstall?

Because I would like not to have to use 3rd party tools or registry

Why waste the time?

Just copy it over then, and edit the shortcuts to the new destination and start it from there. No need to uninstall.

All settings are in Saved Games so you're safe!

To get the best out of DCS you should absolutely get the installer (it will save you in the future when you need a repair), and a you'll want a Mod manager as well. I promise!

Cheers!

BTW: Regedit is your friend too!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I just copied from one ssd to the other when I changed to a bigger one, used the same path on both so all I had to do was to switch the driveletters in Windows.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

I didn't change drive letters because I was transferring from my C drive. I Copied and pasted to a dedicated drive with just DCS on it.

Then all I had to do was go to DCS Open Beta/Bin (or what ever version you have) right click on DCS_Updater.exe and "send to" desktop.

Now it checks for updates every time I launch the sim. If you don't want to check for updates every time, right click on DCS.exe and send that to the desktop. (or wherever you want the launcher.)

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

I have had a different approach over the years. Get a new larger SSD and clone the original drive to the new drive. Windows does not know the difference. A lot less effort and trouble. Then use the smaller drive for storage.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain