What percentage of DCS Pilots can Reliably Air Refuel at least one Airframe?

CBenson89

Wake turbulence isn’t a problem if you approach the tanker correctly. Don’t fly directly behind the tanker, go to the correct holding position off to the side, then come in below the tanker. You won’t hit the wake.

Posted by folks who clearly haven't flown behind a KC-135 MPRS in DCS with an F-18 with wake turbulence on.

Regardless of how it works in real life, in DCS it throws you all over the place.

• Like 1

PS as for refuelling, try Harrier, night time no moon, high cross winds, high turbulence, asymmetric heavy load out, clouds. Makes it a bit more fun that just scooting up and filling up which is easy. The only thing i would say is having a good Hotas makes a solid difference, be it the 18, 14, 16,JF17 or A10.

Probably 18 is the easiest, but its hard to grade as per someone else's comment its a transferable skill in some regards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Posted by folks who clearly haven't flown behind a KC-135 MPRS in DCS with an F-18 with wake turbulence on.

Regardless of how it works in real life, in DCS it throws you all over the place.

Why would anyone fly F-18 behind KC-135 in wake turbulence zone. Makes no sense.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

This probably isn't the right attitude for enouraging more players to try multiplayer.:(

I'm not trying to ''encourage'' anybody to ''do'' anything. It's an observation based on what I've seen online. Whether somebody can fly in formation has little to do with whether they can or should enjoy multiplayer, it IS however directly correlated to their ability to AAR and vice versa. As most people I've observed cannot fly formation, logically, they probably also cannot AAR.

Formation flight is, in the real world, one of the 101 topics new pilots learn, a simple act of discipline and concentration... Discipline and concentration, as well as patience, are severely lacking in gamers, even the type that play DCS, 95% of whom are mostly interested in mashing the spacebar at each other as quickly as possible, with a rare few pausing long enough to do so in a semi-thoughtful fashion.

That's just a fact of online gaming, regardless of platform, ''feelz'' are irrelevant.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I put in many hours trying to AAR with a Saitek X52 Pro using TrackIR but couldn't successfully do it.

After getting a TM Warthog and VR I was successful on the 2nd attempt.

Naturally those many hours of practice on inferior hardware played a part but proper hardware had a much bigger impact for me.

I would like to report a hijacking. The OP is about who can reliably refuel one of the modules/aircraft. :-) Where why how when what is their psychological make-up does not pertain. Digressing in to arguments over opinions makes no sense as opinions are opinions and not facts. Can you refuel air to air is a fact.

Have fun playing the game any way you like, we create our own reality. Happy flying.

Harrier, Hornet and Tomcat - routine. I struggle with the Mirage however and can't figure out how y'all manage the boom! My hat is definitely off to you Air Force folks! :notworthy:

That reminds me... couple of folks here mentioned wake turbulence. I've seen a video a while back showing a C5 getting gas. The biggest issue for these guys was jet wash hitting the rudder.

This big monster was shaking left and right and on top of that the air flow between receiver's nose and the the tanker was causing C5's nose to dip and the tanker's ass to move up.

Just watching the pilot's face throughout the ordeal gave me an idea how easy that was:D

He had to fly like this for over 5 min.

Funny you say that... I think last night was the first time I refueled the Hornet behind the 135 MPRS with wake turb on (I hadn't previously realized it was off). Hardly saw a difference; felt a slight rolling moment, easily corrected. No problem plugging or staying connected.

I'd already developed the habit of approaching the basket from below though, so I guess that's why. You can definitely stay out of most of the wake if you do that.

I can barely refuel the Mirage during the day, and it's a struggle. Seeing how many comments mention that better equipment makes it easier is a relief because it honestly seems impossible to do it reliably with my old TWCS throttle and T16000 flight stick. I know upgrading my rudder pedals from crap thrustmaster budget stuff to the MFGs it was a HUGE different in yaw control in all of my modules.

So I'm a singleplayer guy and I've put hours and hours in the F-18 and the M-2000 trying to AAR and I've only topped off the F-18 once, and I can refuel the M-2000 but just barely, with several disconnects and reconnects, and only during the day.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

So for example the server i spend time on, DDCS, is a pretty high calibre, some very experienced people on there which is evident if we pop on other servers its becomes very easy.

I tried DDCS wasn’t so bad. But it has the same problem every server does, it’s constantly running the OB. It’s ridiculous that every server all the time has to run OB. Many players prefer not to be beta testers.

And MP is usually bad missions or no missions. No flight plan or objectives, just a big furball at the bullseye.

In DDCS if you try to spawn on a carrier you get dumped in the ocean and die. That’s bizarre. I also can’t load out. Lots of strange stuff going on that’s not explained.

So yeah DCS MP kinda sucks. That’s why most people are SP

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I'm not trying to ''encourage'' anybody to ''do'' anything. It's an observation based on what I've seen online. Whether somebody can fly in formation has little to do with whether they can or should enjoy multiplayer, it IS however directly correlated to their ability to AAR and vice versa. As most people I've observed cannot fly formation, logically, they probably also cannot AAR.

Formation flight is, in the real world, one of the 101 topics new pilots learn, a simple act of discipline and concentration... Discipline and concentration, as well as patience, are severely lacking in gamers, even the type that play DCS, 95% of whom are mostly interested in mashing the spacebar at each other as quickly as possible, with a rare few pausing long enough to do so in a semi-thoughtful fashion.

That's just a fact of online gaming, regardless of platform, ''feelz'' are irrelevant.

:doh:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I'm able to refuel in Hornet (I have 372 AARs an according to the Logbook), Viper (284 AARs) and Hog (just 8 but can do that too), day and night, with wake turbulence on (Viking was harder for me in that regard) and without disconnects. I do recall those days when I thought I'll never be able to do that though and it took me a long time honing this skill (I still try to practice AAR on regular basis). I mostly play singleplayer, but do multiplayer occasionally too. Personally learning to fly in formation with the tanker helped me as well as good hardware made a lot of difference as tiny movements of the throttle are required.

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

I could not be more useless at AAR or formation flying.

Mind you I don't have a throttle, or a rudder...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I’ve done that and avoided the turbulence by approaching correctly.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

For me no problem at all with the Hornet and Tomcat in any weather, almost routine and probably my favourite moment in any flight along with landing on the boat. My only struggle is when I somehow screw it up with fuel management and find myself in a situation when I have gas for only a few minutes, then tension and anxiety makes me sweat a lot :))

Did it, got the t-shirt, off to do things that are more fun.

:lol: same

In most cases, respawning is way too easier and less painful than refuel

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I can, I can... now, who's doing percentages?

I can too, (1.0 + 1.0) / 2.0 = 1.0 out of 2.0, so 0.50 (200%)?

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52