HP Reverb Stutters

Bones308th

The Reverb is straight forward, I use the WMR beta and steam vr beta software. WMR starts up immediately when the pc starts and the HMD is on, then click on the DCS icon (standalone) and steam vr starts along with the game. Everything else is a non issue. As for altering the text file for reprojection and the colour bars as described, I followed reddit, deleting // as stated and it worked as was described. Really the Reverb is nearly as hassle free as the old CV1 I had. It just works and is a really simple setup.

Just to clarify, the WMR software can also be launched via steam, and is the MR portal house. If for whatever reason my WMR software (house) did not start automatically on pc startup, or I had shutdown the software to turn off the hmd while using the PC for non VR stuff. I would just go into my steam library and from the VR software section, launch it and proceed as before/normal. You need steam VR to play DCS as well as the WMR software as far as I am aware, until DCS bring in direct WMR utilization.

zoomer thanks for your reply - but still a bit confused about how it all fits together and particularly when you say

"Just to clarify, the WMR software can also be launched via steam, and is the MR portal house"

note I have 3 bits of software installed the 1)mixed reality portal (or house) which I don't think is installed via steam and then 2)WMR for steam VR (installed on steam) and 3)Steam VR (installed on steam):

Essentially when I load up (via desktop shortcut) (1) (the portal) my headset also fires up and I can explore my desktop in VR using this app as well as launch DCS from inside VR...…..where I have the issue is the WMR for Steam VR app installed via steam (2) - this does not load up when my PC is on - in fact when I click on it within steam I can see a big green "launch" button (note at this point my steam VR is not running) - however the only thing the launch button does (for WMR) when I click on it - is launch the separate steam VR app (3) on steam!(steam VR now appears in green) - note when I launch WMR with steam VR already running it says "WMR will launch into an environment in your HMD as well as on the desktop - performance my not be acceptable in this mode - to launch the game on your desktop please exit steamVR before launching the game" and when I hit ok I get a strange error "an error occurred while updating steamVR (app running) 14644"- would appreciate some clarification on how the WMR app needs to be used when running something like DCS or X planes11 - to date have only been running steam VR before entering the game and not trying to do anything with WMR for steam VR (note I always have the portal running in the background)...….

green = off because application can render at full framerate

light blue = on because application is cpu bound

dark blue = on because application is gpu bound

The WMR for Steam (non Beta) achieves native resolution at 188% in SteamVR

The WMR for SteamVR beta is 74% at native as it fixes the scaler. SteamVR applies a factor of 1.4 oversampling at 100% (IMHO more than the Reverb needs) based on compensation for lenses (probably for the Vive).

Interesting. So I get the same issue as the OP. Where I see double if I look right or left very quickly.

I'm running PD 1.0 and SS around 100% - beta.

I could try 74%.

zoomer thanks for your reply - but still a bit confused about how it all fits together and particularly when you say

"Just to clarify, the WMR software can also be launched via steam, and is the MR portal house"

note I have 3 bits of software installed the 1)mixed reality portal (or house) which I don't think is installed via steam and then 2)WMR for steam VR (installed on steam) and 3)Steam VR (installed on steam):

Essentially when I load up (via desktop shortcut) (1) (the portal) my headset also fires up and I can explore my desktop in VR using this app as well as launch DCS from inside VR...…..where I have the issue is the WMR for Steam VR app installed via steam (2) - this does not load up when my PC is on - in fact when I click on it within steam I can see a big green "launch" button (note at this point my steam VR is not running) - however the only thing the launch button does (for WMR) when I click on it - is launch the separate steam VR app (3) on steam!(steam VR now appears in green) - note when I launch WMR with steam VR already running it says "WMR will launch into an environment in your HMD as well as on the desktop - performance my not be acceptable in this mode - to launch the game on your desktop please exit steamVR before launching the game" and when I hit ok I get a strange error "an error occurred while updating steamVR (app running) 14644"- would appreciate some clarification on how the WMR app needs to be used when running something like DCS or X planes11 - to date have only been running steam VR before entering the game and not trying to do anything with WMR for steam VR (note I always have the portal running in the background)...….

Oh boy, your description at a quick glance looks like you're trying to unscramble an egg. As you say, and like you, my WMR portal or house (whatever) starts automatically on widows startup, I then just double click on the desktop icon for DCS (non-steam version) on my actual desktop (monitor) and not in VR (hmd environment). DCS then starts in VR and steam VR also starts automatically. I then alt enter to maximize the mirror on my monitor, put on the hmd and work the in game menu from there.

If I had manually shutdown the WMR software on the desktop as I was no longer using the hmd, but using the pc for something else. To restart the WMR software (portal/house) I just go into my steam library and launch the MMR VR software from there and proceed as above.

Yeah me too, though I recently saw a chart on the ww2 flight sim forum RE the reverb with various headsets and the ss/pd settings to get the closest to the native resolution. It said that ss @ 76% was 9 million pixels in the reverb. Made me wonder, but it’s hard to know if the info is out of date.

• 2 months later...
Oh boy, your description at a quick glance looks like you're trying to unscramble an egg. As you say, and like you, my WMR portal or house (whatever) starts automatically on widows startup, I then just double click on the desktop icon for DCS (non-steam version) on my actual desktop (monitor) and not in VR (hmd environment). DCS then starts in VR and steam VR also starts automatically. I then alt enter to maximize the mirror on my monitor, put on the hmd and work the in game menu from there.

If I had manually shutdown the WMR software on the desktop as I was no longer using the hmd, but using the pc for something else. To restart the WMR software (portal/house) I just go into my steam library and launch the MMR VR software from there and proceed as above.

I see you use non Steam DCS, like I do. Did you manage to get Reprojection working (and showing the indicator?) . I can't for the life of me get it to work, and I tried moving the Steam VR beta folder and made sure the right config is set.... :huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I see you use non Steam DCS, like I do. Did you manage to get Reprojection working (and showing the indicator?) . I can't for the life of me get it to work, and I tried moving the Steam VR beta folder and made sure the right config is set.... :huh:

I have non Steam DCS, (open beta 2.5.5.x xx) and do not have any problems with activating it. Both reproj and reproj indicator works as it shall.

Did you follow the vr4DCS.com guide in detail with everything?

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I have non Steam DCS, (open beta 2.5.5.x xx) and do not have any problems with activating it. Both reproj and reproj indicator works as it shall.

Did you follow the vr4DCS.com guide in detail with everything?

Thanks for the info.

No I didn't, it seems I got everything from there down except:

"Windows 10 – 1909 (with recent patches)"

the windows 10 version I have is several months older as I try to limit my downtime/maintenance with Microsoft crap that always happens with updates.

However I was under the impression reprojection was working even on W10 versions from 2-3 years ago, but perhaps a mismatch between windows version, and WMR drivers is causing some issue... IDK

Guess I will have to update and check after that (but man, I'm not too happy to do it :D )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the info.

No I didn't, it seems I got everything from there down except:

"Windows 10 – 1909 (with recent patches)"

the windows 10 version I have is several months older as I try to limit my downtime/maintenance with Microsoft crap that always happens with updates.

However I was under the impression reprojection was working even on W10 versions from 2-3 years ago, but perhaps a mismatch between windows version, and WMR drivers is causing some issue... IDK

Guess I will have to update and check after that (but man, I'm not too happy to do it :D )

I actually think 1909 or the earlier 1903(?) is a really good idea to update to because of the changes that are made specially fir VR WMR. I would upgrade to get better funktions

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I actually think 1909 or the earlier 1903(?) is a really good idea to update to because of the changes that are made specially fir VR WMR. I would upgrade to get better funktions

Thanks, I think that's my next step, no sense wasting more time and asking around until I try that.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the reprojectionindicator when alls is ok and you hit 90FPS, no limiting frame times on the CPU or the GPU

Thanks, I think that's my next step, no sense wasting more time and asking around until I try that.

Regards

I Think thats a good idea.

If you havent used the fpsVR( like 4usd on the Steam shop), it is extremely handy.

You see it in real time in the googles and you also see what is the limiting factor, frame times for GPU, CPU, loading on GPU,CPU, RAM Usage and also GPU RAM usage, it seems like I easily can hit 11Gb an max out my video RAM on the 2080ti.

fpsvr3.png' alt='fpsvr3.png'>

Here I on purpose made a higher setting and did a lowpass over a village, causing the frame time on the GPU to go above 22.2ms, that is, it wont keep 45 fps because the time to make the fram is too long on hte GPU. The CPU fram time is 11ms and would be enough for 90fps at that moment.

Yep, fpsVR is the business. FYI the frame count you can get from SteamVR Beta without fpsVR (you can enable the graph to show in VR same as in the tiny SteamVR window)

SteamVR Beta -> 3 Lines -> Settings -> Developer -> Show GPU Performance Graph in Headset (ON)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reverb disconnect/reconnect

Hi not sure if this is the right thread to post in...

So I got a new Reverb V2 the other day and it's great, amazing, holy S*&^! Except while playing DCS, and it seems only while playing DCS the headset will freeze, and then strobe and the sound will switch to my PC speakers. It lasts about 3-5 seconds. And it keeps randomly happening. I'm not convinced the HMD is defective though because it won't seem to do it in any other application that I've tried. Anyone got any thoughts on what could be causing this? Thanks in advance. Also, I followed that guide by Thud I think their name was. Super useful. So I do have the settings mentioned in there set in Nvidia control panel.

My lack of reprojection was indeed the windows version, I had 1803 and going to 1903 made the reprojection work right away.

I notice however a drop of 15% in raw FPS now in DCS (15% longer frametime), however with reprojection working things are looking bloody great now (smooth)!

Thanks for the help/tips guys.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My lack of reprojection was indeed the windows version, I had 1803 and going to 1903 made the reprojection work right away.

I notice however a drop of 15% in raw FPS now in DCS (15% longer frametime), however with reprojection working things are looking bloody great now (smooth)!

Thanks for the help/tips guys.

Cool ! :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

Need some help, I cant get the reprojection to work or get the indicator box. this is what my file looks like in notepad.

{

"driver_Holographic" : {

},

"driver_Holographic_Experimental": {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

// disabled = turn off motion reprojection

//

// Comment out or remove this line to use the SteamVR settings for controlling motion reprojection

"motionReprojectionMode" : "disabled",

// Motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected

// green = off because application can render at full framerate

// cyan = on because application is cpu bound

// blue = on because application is gpu bound

// red = off because application running at less than half framerate or motion reprojection disabled

//

// green + cyan + blue = motion reprojection half-framerate mode or application requested motion reprojection

"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : false,

// Motion indicator size and position in 0-1 space

"motionReprojectionIndicatorSize": 0.015,

"motionReprojectionIndicatorXPosition": 0.3125,

"motionReprojectionIndicatorYPosition": 0.3125,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,

// disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.

//

// Setting thumbstickControlsMoveEnabled to true may cause application compatibility issues

"thumbstickControlsTurnEnabled": false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn, false = default application thumbstick behavior

"thumbstickControlsMoveEnabled": false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial move, false = default application thumbstick behavior

"thumbstickControlsReversed": false,

"thumbstickTurnSmooth": false,

"thumbstickDeadzone": 0.25,

"thumbstickUseForSystemMenu": true,

// During some transitions (typically entering Home), controller events start accumulate and the system has difficulties to catch up

// Settings a mximum age for a contoller input allows ensuring that the events queue does not grow indefinitely

"obsoleteStateMaxTimeInSeconds": 1.0,

// Disable DX12 support

"forceDisableDX12": false,

// Feature still in development

"enableSkeletalInput": true

},

// If motionReprojectionMode is disabled, these applications will still respect SteamVR settings

"MotionReprojectionDisabledExceptions" : {

"hlvr.exe" : true

},

"NoInterEyeRotation" : {

"battlezone_dx11.exe" : true,

"battlezone_dx12.exe" : true,

"DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true,

"Fallout4VR.exe" : true

}

}

INTEL i9 9900k @ 5Ghz, Asus Z390 strix ROG, 32gb 3200mhz Ram, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, Corsair RM850i, Corsair H110i,, HP REVERB, Win 10 64bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Need some help, I cant get the reprojection to work

Namnl-s.png

Delete marked line in the picture and copy paste this line:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

That should give you reprojection = auto, keep 90 fps when it can and switch to 45 fps with reprojection when between 90 and 45, (and reprojection of below 45fps I think).

For the indicator, change false to true in this line:

"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : false,

Save the file, thats it.

Some people hav ehade problems with more than one "Default vrsettings" file, and changing one not being used by steamVR. There should really be only one but if you have more than one, find out which is the correct one.