PLEASE fix the Mig-21 canopy glass.

Deano87

But the MiG-21 was made to startup and takeoff in a very short time, especially when the enemy is making a surprise attack or something. In such a scenario the ground crew would not have much time to clean anything.

And you mix "maintanance" with rearming and refueling a battle ready aircraft. If the aircraft is not servicable, its not on the pad.

If it is, the canoy is CLEAN and the fighter is refueled, armed, ready for the assigned task!

Thats it.

If you cant see in a fighter, you are dead. The canopys are keept clean, in combat enviremont, by a "low maintenance" aircraft! I promise you that! For real! Its a thing amongst ground crew guys! All over the world! Its their job dude!

This has nothing to do with real life or realism. Just say you want a clean canopy, that is a valid point. I get it can be frustrating to people and I see why they want a clean canopy.

When people start telling me that as an aircraft mechanic I worried so much about the canopy being clean is what I have a problem with. I never thought about it in a busy day. Places like Korea, where one squadron can fly over 50 sorties in one day, not once did I worried that canopy was dirty with bugs or otherwise. I was busy refueling the jet, inspecting the engine and the rest of the aircraft, making minor repairs and making sure the younger/less experience mechanics got their jets ready.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

This has nothing to do with real life or realism. Just say you want a clean canopy, that is a valid point. I get it can be frustrating to people and I see why they want a clean canopy.

When people start telling me that as an aircraft mechanic I worried so much about the canopy being clean is what I have a problem with. I never thought about it in a busy day. Places like Korea, where one squadron can fly over 50 sorties in one day, not once did I worried that canopy was dirty with bugs or otherwise. I was busy refueling the jet, inspecting the engine and the rest of the aircraft, making minor repairs and making sure the younger/less experience mechanics got their jets ready.

Yep. Because an aiplane flying all day and night dont get this dirty canopy. A museum aircraft standing in the same spot for +10 years, outdoors,do.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 2 weeks later...

A former crew chief who will rename nameless has told me that he was chewed out for leaving a canopy dirty, and that it is normally washed once a day ( and good chiefs will clean the inside gauges as well), and when it gets to scuffed they have canopy polish kits on base just waiting to be used by new airmen to fix it. Also this would of all been done to aircraft prior to them getting selected as the alert aircraft so yes alert aircraft are kept clean also.

To whom it may concern,

Thats called backlighting. A trick you can use as a cameraman and as a canopy is a big glasbody it reflects the light in a cool way. Good job finding cool pics!

Stil, not as dirty as the mig.... Some smears and fingerprints but that is invisible from the inside when the light is on the outside with you looking out. Test it out with your car.

Lol,trying to spot enemy aircraft through that canopy is nigh on impossible,period.........now don't get me wrong,I love all aircraft graphics to look as if they've been used,and the weathering on the MiG-21 is great......but the canopy ???

At present it's like looking through a 50 year unloved old greenhouse window !.....but what's infuriating,is that once upon a time it was fine,so who thought that this current effect was a good idea ?

Especially in dear old DCS where spotting aircraft the best of times is difficult to say the least !!.......add into that mix,the current MiG-21 'greenhouse effect' as I like to call it,and basically your screwed doh.gif

I love the MiG-21 as a module to fly,it's cockpit is beautifully rendered,with all the buttons in the world to keep us flying jocks happy,but anything more than flying is quite frankly a joke.

Going online and putting your wits against against anyone with a clear canopy is sheer suicide......so yes a clear canopy kind of makes sense guys.Surely the devs could fix this simple necessity for us......without it,the module is best left on the shelf for online combat,anyway,IMHO.

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

how does 4 pics of anything invalidate what I said?

I am a stranger in the internet, nothing I say should invalidate nor validate you. If some one agrees with you it does not validate your opinion, same way someone disagree with you does not invalidate it.

If you tell me in your years of experience working or flying on aircraft the canopy was clean to a level far above the one represented in DCS Mig-21, OK.

I disagree with you and saying in my years working on aircraft, starting in 1997 to 2012 cleaning canopy was not a big priority and when we did clean it (before the first flight of every day) We only had Isopropyl alcohol and water 50/50 mix. Have you tried cleaning bugs and stains of plastic with water and alcohol? The manual that describes how to clean the canopy mentions other cleaner but alcohol and water is the only thing we typically used unless a pilot complaint about the cockpit. You could not rub the canopy to get bugs and stains out because supposedly rubbing it would cause damage and scratches. You where only suppose to do single long strokes. So to get bug off you had to wait for nobody to be around so you can try to rub some of them off.

Anyway, have a I ever work on a Mig-21Bis? No

So, it does not matter what I say.

We are having a difference of opinion and I am ton trying to disproof you experience not invalidate you opinion. Simply stating my own opinion on the matter.

Which is; The cockpit on the DCS Mig-21 looks typical to my experience in RL. If you guys don't want it, cool. Hope they change it. But that has nothing to do with whether it is realistic or not.

To whom it may concern,

I also work in aviation and everyone at my base knows you just put water on the bugs with a hoose or even a really soaked blanket, wait 10 min and then wipe them of with a clean towel..... use a lot of water to get them moist! Thats how we do it. Works perfecly!

Thats why also when they fly in rain the aircraft "washes itself." (High speed flying thro rain is like highpressure wash.

I have never washed a jet but the helicopter guys wash the tailbooms every week. ;) Helicopters are dirty aircrafts! :)

Edited by hovring

I am a stranger in the internet, nothing I say should invalidate nor validate you. If some one agrees with you it does not validate your opinion, same way someone disagree with you does not invalidate it.

If you tell me in your years of experience working or flying on aircraft the canopy was clean to a level far above the one represented in DCS Mig-21, OK.

I disagree with you and saying in my years working on aircraft, starting in 1997 to 2012 cleaning canopy was not a big priority and when we did clean it (before the first flight of every day) We only had Isopropyl alcohol and water 50/50 mix. Have you tried cleaning bugs and stains of plastic with water and alcohol? The manual that describes how to clean the canopy mentions other cleaner but alcohol and water is the only thing we typically used unless a pilot complaint about the cockpit. You could not rub the canopy to get bugs and stains out because supposedly rubbing it would cause damage and scratches. You where only suppose to do single long strokes. So to get bug off you had to wait for nobody to be around so you can try to rub some of them off.

Anyway, have a I ever work on a Mig-21Bis? No

So, it does not matter what I say.

We are having a difference of opinion and I am ton trying to disproof you experience not invalidate you opinion. Simply stating my own opinion on the matter.

Which is; The cockpit on the DCS Mig-21 looks typical to my experience in RL. If you guys don't want it, cool. Hope they change it. But that has nothing to do with whether it is realistic or not.

Well all you did was explain that cleaning a canopy is hard, nothing here disapproving the experience that I brought up. crew chiefs clean canopies, no one else left to do it if they don't. if the canopy is dirty its the crew chiefs responsibility to clean it, polish it, or replace (it if it is decided that it need replacing).

A clean canopy is realistic.

A dirty canopy is also realistic.

But a dirty canopy realistically it is a condition that is expected to be fixed as soon as you can, Maybe it will come after a few more flights, maybe after you replace the the one of the intake lights, or maybe after servicing the tires if there is enough time, but its not never. The mig21 canopy seems to have been abandoned by its crew chief.