Does DECM ALQ-164 pod work or not?

DmitriKozlowsky

Beta vs Beta... not the best test.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Neither radar nor ecm are extensively 'simulated' in DCS. Ecm does not ''jam'' anything, it reduces the range at which you can be targeted. Whether the pod works in the Harrier or not I don't know, but it is not likely to be any different from the other ecm units ingame.

• Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Neither radar nor ecm are extensively 'simulated' in DCS. Ecm does not ''jam'' anything, it reduces the range at which you can be targeted. Whether the pod works in the Harrier or not I don't know, but it is not likely to be any different from the other ecm units ingame.

ECM does deny other player radar equipped player controlled aircraft (e.g. F-15, M2000, MiG-21) range information as well as IFF response. That is for DECM in DCS in general. I do not know if the DECM pod for the Harrier is functional already.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 7 months later...

To clarify my earlier point, the jammer does function and reduces the range that other radars can establish a lock (DCS noise jamming effectively).

It will allow an ECM fitted AV8B to get closer to Surface-to-air systems and fighters before being locked or fired on. How close depends on the system and likely it's skill level.

It will allow an ECM fitted AV8B to get closer to Surface-to-air systems and fighters before being locked or fired on. How close depends on the system and likely it's skill level.

This has been my (anecdotal) experience. There's so little difference I don't bother 99.99% of the time.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

Easiest way is to test it with tacview.

Setup an SA10/11 or whatever you want site. And I'd test it for early, vs mid, vs late era sites, i.e. sa2, sa6, sa10/11

Fly harrier without ecm into it, check at what range it engages. x3

Replay mission with ECM on, chaeck at what range it engages. x3

compare results.

With other ECM systems in game (mainly FC3) they basically reduce the range / increase the time you can be fired on by some 10-25% or something like that, so it doesn't make you sam-proof to any great degree.

Though it would be great if a dev could actually answer this question for us.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 1 year later...

Imo it works very well.
Have heard of cool things like extra time for missile swarms, sam missiles exploding when it's turned from receive to transmit, I think it's a life saver. The additional burn through time can make a world of difference when using the Harrier in the SEAD role.