[NOT REALISTIC] Nozzle Actuator sound

NightstalkerNOR

Exactly correct bbrz. Give up on that thought now Nightstalkernor as the GE motor doesn't create that sound at all when the nozzle moves. Only the P&W motors do and this module is GE motor driven.

Here is a video showing a GE powered F-16 with the nozzles closing without the distinct P&W nozzle sound. If the time doesn't pop up go to about 2:30 in the video which is right before throttle up.

Edited by Stubbies2003

One thing the GE does on start up with almost every single one I've crewed is create a nice 'boom' out the exhaust as the air/fuel mixture ignites. That would be a nice addition.

Can't find a better example but you get the idea.

System: Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo / Ryzen 5900X / 128gb Trident Z 3600mHz / ASUS TUF X570 / Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO / Asus Tuf RTX 3080ti / Asus Rog 1000w PSU / TM Warthog + TM Pedals

Modules/Terrains: All but the Mig-19, MB-339, P-47, I-16, CE II, and Yak-52

IRL: USAF F-16C AGR Crew Chief / Private Pilot

One thing the GE does on start up with almost every single one I've crewed is create a nice 'boom' out the exhaust as the air/fuel mixture ignites. That would be a nice addition.

Can't find a better example but you get the idea.

Yeah pickled motor start isn't exactly the norm. :)

Good example of a brief sec check and the lack of nozzle noise as well though.

I hereby request the nozzle actuator sound(!) - which may also be taken into consideration regarding other aircraft in DCS with this sound effect.

Can be heard when the jets are landing and taking off (please also not the loud reverb...very nice! :) )

The sound comes from 13th stage bleed air going through the Convergent Exhaust Nozzle Controller (CENC). Think of it as a large air tool like a dremel. This spins flex shaft that move the four nozzle actuator on PW engine. The F110-GE-129 engine uses engine oil to move the 4 actuator using the Engine Driven Hydraulic pump, not to be confuse with the two aircraft engine driven hydraulic pumps.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Yeah pickled motor start isn't exactly the norm. :)

Good example of a brief sec check and the lack of nozzle noise as well though.

Couldn't find a better example. Seems as though most of the start up videos on youtube cut out the actual motor ignition to clean up the audio or record from the front where you can't get the full effect.

System: Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo / Ryzen 5900X / 128gb Trident Z 3600mHz / ASUS TUF X570 / Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO / Asus Tuf RTX 3080ti / Asus Rog 1000w PSU / TM Warthog + TM Pedals

Couldn't find a better example. Seems as though most of the start up videos on youtube cut out the actual motor ignition to clean up the audio or record from the front where you can't get the full effect.

I will see if I can find one. I remember it happening mostly on the first start of the day and the colder ambient temp the more likely.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Yeah took me a bit to find a video showing a GE motor nozzle move as well. Most vids either showed it already closed and opening going to AB for ground runs or were Pratt motors.

WildWeasel303 said:
One thing the GE does on start up with almost every single one I've crewed is create a nice 'boom' out the exhaust as the air/fuel mixture ignites.

At 16 sec, F110-GE-100 on Block 30

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

WildWeasel303,

Have you worked with a lot of GE-129? I have not, starting to feel like maybe the "Boom start" is more of a GE-100 thing than a GE-129 thing. Like you, I saw it every day on GE-100, but not so sure on GE-129. What do you think?

Here at 0:02 is another one and a "pickled engine" start at 1:20. Both of these are F-110-GE-100 so not related to DCS F-16.

To whom it may concern,

WildWeasel303,

Have you worked with a lot of GE-129? I have not, starting to feel like maybe the "Boom start" is more of a GE-100 thing than a GE-129 thing. Like you, I saw it every day on GE-100, but not so sure on GE-129. What do you think?

Here at 0:02 is another one and a "pickled engine" start at 1:20. Both of these are F-110-GE-100 so not related to DCS F-16.

No 129's on my end. Our jets are Block 30's so we're on 100's as well (140th Wing). I can't recall the last time I was around a 129 without our jets running / me launching my bird out. Most of the 129's I've been around were from Shaw since they seem to go to Nellis around the same time we do. Nellis isn't exactly the greatest place to compare start ups with everything happening at once. :lol: