FM Homing Elbrus Rescue, what am I doing wrong?

buedi

Hi there,

I got back into DCS after a while and started flying the Huey again. I wanted to do the Elbrus Rescue mission and to find the troops, you use the FM homing system of the Huey.

What I do:

1. Turn on the FM Radio
  2. Dial in 40.50 MHz
  3. Set the Switch to T/R first, I hear a Tone, so I think I got the right frequency.
  4. Put the know to Homing
  5. On the instrument Panel, put the sensitivity Switch to High
  6. As far as I understand, now the CDI should move... but it does not.

Am I missing something in that list? I hope I do and it is not broken :-)

Exactly, that is the needel I am looking at. I even started another mission since my post which also required homing a FM signal at 40.50 MHz and I had the same result.

I watched Videos how it works, I read Chucks guide and I am pretty sure I am doing it right, now that I tried it 5 times.

Did you create that Screenshot just now?

I am on the latest stable release of DCS World btw, just in case you are running the Beta.

Edit: I also watched the Video you linked. What is interesting, that he hears the tone of the FM signal not only on the T/R position, but also on the homing position. I only hear it on the T/R position. On the homing position, the tone goes away.

Edited by buedi

Yes, I flew around and even found the guys by just flying around and they were popping their flares, but I did not hear a tone or saw the needle moving when on the Homing position. The tone on the T/R position even works when I am still in the startup procedure, so the signal is picked up.

You guys replying, did you test it in the latest stable release or are you running the beta?

If you are making your own mission, are you using MIST and CTLD?

If so, you will need to load in both the beacon.ogg sound file and the beaconsilent.ogg for Radio beacon homing. This can be done by adding a two Sound To Country actions. Pick an unused country, like Australia so no one actually hears the audio when joining at the start of the mission. If you don't add the two Audio files, radio beacons will not work. Make sure not to rename the file as well.

Source: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD

Just a thought, did you really turn the dial all around to homing, fully clockwise? I ask because there are more settings between T/R and homing.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Just a thought, did you really turn the dial all around to homing, fully clockwise? I ask because there are more settings between T/R and homing.

Is there a way to delete something from the internet, so nobody can find it... never? This is so embarrassing!

That switch indeed has 4 positions and not only 3. The Retrain Home is written so close together, it never came to my mind that these are 2 separate positions.

You were right! I just checked it and I cannot believe that I fiddled around for hours and did not give that little knob a little bit more spin :doh:

You were right! I just checked it and I cannot believe that I fiddled around for hours and did not give that little knob a little bit more spin :doh:

I just thought about it because I done the same mistake myself, so no need to feel embarrassed alone ;-)

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5