F-5 Needs Better Armament

Frankthetank

According to Wikipedia, the F-5E can carry 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 4 AIM-120 AMRAAMs, or 4 AGM-65 Mavericks. The simulated F-5 can only carry 2 Sidewinders and a bunch of bombs. Can we please get an update so that the simulated F-5E can carry a more realistic missile load? 4 missiles is already light armament compared to the 6 carried by the MiG-29, 8 carried by the F-15 and F-16, and 10 carried by the Su-27.

Thank you,

Frank

The F-5S can deploy AMMRAMs it’s a much more modern version of the F-5 used only in Singapore.

The Aircraft in DCS is the F-5E Tiger II with the AN/APQ-159-3 which doesn’t have video pass through on the radar display. Go back to wikipedia and see what it says that can do.

This was the model they wanted to make. This is the one we have. You want the F/A-18 to do what you’re asking for.

It can carry the equivalent weight in dumb and guided bombs; why not missiles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5

If the pylon isn't wired for a missile launch, then it really can't utilize them. You have to pay attention to the variant of F-5 in question. E-3s (what we have) only had their tips wired for missiles IIRC.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I wish the cluster munitions for the F-5 could be tweaked as they seem fairly useless with a very small dispersion. Maybe add the MK20 rockeye with better dispersion and effect.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

I wish the cluster munitions for the F-5 could be tweaked as they seem fairly useless with a very small dispersion. Maybe add the MK20 rockeye with better dispersion and effect.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Every CBU, aside from the CBU-97, is borked. The CBU-52, Mk.20, CBU-87 and CBU-99 all have such a tiny dispersion, they're useless. This has been an issue since release of the F-5, without anything being done. Another abandon area by ED and BST.

Every CBU, aside from the CBU-97, is borked. The CBU-52, Mk.20, CBU-87 and CBU-99 all have such a tiny dispersion, they're useless. This has been an issue since release of the F-5, without anything being done. Another abandon area by ED and BST.

I don't know about those bombs exactly, but can't you program the bombs itself to have specific altitude/dispersion value, as they after all do have the altitude sensors etc?

Or is it just for the weapons system task to deliver that information based various other means to the bombs?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It can carry the equivalent weight in dumb and guided bombs; why not missiles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5

Belsimtek build F-5E-3 F-5E (OPFOR) "aggressor" version, not a M, S or other export version. To build then, need build a license, a new module and get develop time. Has some weapons as fire bombs with can implemented into them, but need integrate them into the DCS core.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

It has been an issue even before the release of the F-5!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Belsimtek build F-5E-1 F-5E (OPFOR) "aggressor" version, not a M, S or other export version. To build then, need build a license, a new module and get develop time. Has some weapons as fire bombs with can implemented into them, but need integrate them into the DCS core.

Is there something special in the "

" ("OPFOR is for army designation for enemy, while airforce has own) version of the F-5E?

What I basically know is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5#Single-seat_versions

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The F-5E needs GAU-13 and GPU/5A gun pods, and certain F-5E have fuel tanks slapped to the wingtips. Would love to see these modeled, but you know...if wishes were horses...

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

According to Wikipedia, the F-5E can carry 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 4 AIM-120 AMRAAMs, or 4 AGM-65 Mavericks. The simulated F-5 can only carry 2 Sidewinders and a bunch of bombs. Can we please get an update so that the simulated F-5E can carry a more realistic missile load? 4 missiles is already light armament compared to the 6 carried by the MiG-29, 8 carried by the F-15 and F-16, and 10 carried by the Su-27.

Thank you,

Frank

Simply put, for our variant of the F-5, Wikipedia is wrong. Later versions of the F-5, upgraded with modern avionics and systems, can indeed carry 4 AIM-9s, or 4 AIM-120s or 4 AGM-65s or variations of.

However the variant of F-5 that Belsimtek have simulated, the F-5E-3, has none of those modern systems. It's an aggressor aircraft, in USAF service, and as such it didn't require any expensive modern avionics or weapons - it's there to provide a real time aggressor aircraft for pilots to fly against in training - so the USAF didn't upgrade them.

Your argument would have made much more sense if you said "I wish for a new, modern, variant of the F-5" because something like the F-5EM (which can do all those things) then comes to the table. But as is mentioned above by Silver Dragon, that requires a whole new licence, a new development cycle...you'll be waiting a while even if the stars did align and all of this happened.

Despite the weapons and radar overmatch, the F-5 in DCS can be a handful for modern jets, if flown right. Having modern AIM-9Ms, or AIM-120Cs, is nice but that's not what makes a great pilot. This is coming from someone is who is not a great pilot, or even a good pilot, I'm just an okay pilot (simulated). If you're having trouble in the F-5 against larger, more powerful modern aircraft, either train with the F-5 in the BFM area more or maybe switch to a different aircraft?

The F-5E needs GAU-13 and GPU/5A gun pods, and certain F-5E have fuel tanks slapped to the wingtips. Would love to see these modeled, but you know...if wishes were horses...

I think you're thinking of the F-5A for the tip tanks. And there is a mod.

Which is cosmetic and doesn't hold any gas. I believe the guy who wrote it said there's no plumbing in the core code. They do look cool, but an AIM-9 looks even better :thumbup:

I like my F-5 just the way it is. Warts and all. Ok, an F-5 with 6 AIM-54Cs would be even better at picking up the chicks, but I think you'd have to mount them above the wings. That wouldn't look so cool.

OP, ''F-5'' is a generic model. Just as Ford Mustangs vary depending on year and options selected, so do aircraft. This SPECIFIC MODEL of F-5 has none of those things.

As for wikipedia, it's useful for broad strokes history, but it's not focusing on any specific aircraft, just general characteristics. The ''specifications'' provided, if you look more closely, are for a VERY SPECIFIC version of the aircraft that is NOT ours. If you want a SPAMRAAM may I suggest the F-18.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yes theres a mod...and a big hullabaloo for installing it too. Im not that interested in them...but AFAIK some F-5E models did have tip tanks. Something I found on google, but yeah I know...google is 100% reliable info.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

You show me one picture of an F-5E with tip tanks and I will happily believe anything you say from now on

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

You show me one picture of an F-5E with tip tanks and I will happily believe anything you say from now on

I never said it was true......

My wallpaper and skins

• 3 weeks later...