DCS and Pimax

Wags

Yeah I was able to download and re-install PiTool 197 elsewhere. But I'm not sure how to flash the firmware it used?

In the PiTool folder is an app called "Dfu.exe" which asks for a .dfu file. In \dfudriver is a file called p2.dfu - but that is a terrible generic name. Would that be the firmware file for 244 that I'm looking for?

Nevermind, I just flashed it to see, and it is indeed the 244 firmware. So all good and back to where I was with prior performance. So there you go, each pitool deploys with a p2.dfu file in\dfudriver that seems to be the firmware for that version.

Easy enough once you know, but a better file name wouldn't kill them surely.

Edited by SneakyBastd

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

I just preordered the 8Kx! Was this a smart thing to do given the situation?Pimax is saying they are Ready to go into mass production "soon" Im taking that with a grain of salt. Im wanting pimax customer opinions from here on this forum.I am not in a huge hurry as I have an Index but I really would like current Pimax customers Thoughts (would you preorder? right now?)Lots of hate and discontent towards this company.....Please let me know what you think and thanks in advance.

Hello

I have owned the Pimax 5K+ for around a year now and have been more than satisfied with the product. I ordered it directly via the Pimax store so it was much cheaper that way than going through the more secure Amazon shopfront. My experience was somewhat disconcerting but only in the way that the Pimax customer service regime was very immature at that time. Pimax's own website did not show that they had shipped my HMD until after I had received it and that was a worry but it did in fact arrive around the date that had been advertised when I ordered.

So the disappointment/anxiety was more a function of Western levels of expectation rather than any incompetence or bad practice on behalf of Pimax. Other users of Pimax products have different experiences and many are well documented. I saw it then as a heightened risk that I was prepared to take, this was at a time when there was no other way to get a Pimax but now I would order directly from China without a concern, knowing that I will simply have to be patient and the product will arrive. They do come very well packaged and shipped.

Later this year hopefully I shall be ordering the Pimax 8KX after it releases and is freely available. Again I shall order direct from China. I do believe that we are somewhat spoilt in the West in terms of customer service and expect that everyone globally behaves the same or should behave the same. In some quarters there may also be a certain amount of xenophobic reaction, people preferring to shower the Chinese with suspicion. If this is of concern then it may be best to wait for the product to be available through Amazon.

I certainly have no doubts about the quality of the headsets and the software PiTool is improving rapidly giving the user much greater flexibility and functionality.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

I agree with Euan.

I also bought my 5k+ about a year ago, but via Amazon. I've been very happy with it. I will get an 8kX, perhaps through amazon again. I've seen that they can make nice headsets, but still think they have a long way to go before convincing everyone their sales/marketing/support is mature.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

I just preordered the 8Kx! Was this a smart thing to do given the situation?Pimax is saying they are Ready to go into mass production "soon" Im taking that with a grain of salt. Im wanting pimax customer opinions from here on this forum.I am not in a huge hurry as I have an Index but I really would like current Pimax customers Thoughts (would you preorder? right now?)Lots of hate and discontent towards this company.....Please let me know what you think and thanks in advance.

I did pre-order the 8kx,I really like my 5k+ and look forward to the new Clarity of the next generation,I've had some dealings with Pimax support concerning my pre-order and found them very helpful,So all around I've been happy with my choice.

Patrick

mini.gif

I don't use the Oculus Store, I don't use the HMD for anything but DCS and IL-2. I use Steam for SteamVR which works seamlessly most of the time. With regard to the 8KX it would be perfectly safe to go ahead and pre-order today as I am confident that they will ship them within the next few months but I will wait until shipping has commenced before I make that step. I will certainly be getting one though as it will be the best of class on release.

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Afternoon gents,

Quick question. I have the PIMAX 8K and I love it. DCS runs great. Bought a new top of the line PC to run it with the latest NVIDIA Geforce GTX 2080 TI. 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB ram.

The question is I want to run the pixel density higher without loss of performance. Right now I have the PIMAX tool set at 1.5 and the in game set at 1. When I bump the in game up to 1.2 I notice a decrease in performance. Running it the way I do now is awesome but I want to eliminate the horizon and building looking jagged at a distance. Any tips? I noticed when I bump the PD up it helps. How can I get it to run smoother with PD at 1.5 for Pi Tool and in game? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, this behaviour is very much expected. I have learnt to raise the PiTool setting to 1.5 and then keep the DCS pixel density at no more than 1.2. Essentially they both do the same thing so with our current high-end hardware we are still asking too much to be able to ramp everything up exponentially. I have good performance in both IL-2 and DCS after lots of tweaking with PiTool to get the most advantageous parameters.

Afternoon gents,

Quick question. I have the PIMAX 8K and I love it. DCS runs great. Bought a new top of the line PC to run it with the latest NVIDIA Geforce GTX 2080 TI. 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB ram.

The question is I want to run the pixel density higher without loss of performance. Right now I have the PIMAX tool set at 1.5 and the in game set at 1. When I bump the in game up to 1.2 I notice a decrease in performance. Running it the way I do now is awesome but I want to eliminate the horizon and building looking jagged at a distance. Any tips? I noticed when I bump the PD up it helps. How can I get it to run smoother with PD at 1.5 for Pi Tool and in game? Any help would be appreciated.

Love my 5k+ too - meanwhile Pitool has become very stable and widely configurable and compatible to SteamVR.

Euan is completely right, with the basic resolution and options to increase visual quality, you could easily overwhelm every system.

The observation of jagged looking objects at a distance is the only real disadvantage of the Pimax first generation headsets in comparison. It results of the displays used in the first Pimax 8k / 5k headset. I would expect the new 8kX and newer Pimax generation headsets to not show this behaviour anymore.

To counteract it is recommendable to increase the displays Hz: for the 5k+ with serial number starting with 202(...) to 110Hz with the special Firmware for this serial number. For ongoing serial numbers starting with 203/204 with newer firmware to increase the display frequency to 120HZ ( 144 hz with the newest Pitool/Firmware I would consider too high to handle DCS ).

Edited by - Voight -

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Much appreciated gentlemen. I was playing with it again last night and it still looks insane. Running PI tool at 1.5 with all setting on as high as they can go in game. In game PD is at 1. No lag or stuttering at all. Love it. Looking forward to the new Super Carrier. On another note, do you think Vulcan will clear up some of the VR issues? I run IL-2 with Pimax and everything is breathtaking. No jagged edges on horizon or building, no lag or stuttering. Runs absolutely insane. Everything set as high as possible.

Vulkan will be a huge step in terms of performance gain for DCS, not only for VR, but as well for conventionai monitor performance. Vulkan is much better optimized for the use of multicore CPUs than EDGE is. Nowadays, everyone has got a multicore CPU running, which could use its potential for a Vulkan engine far more better than with EDGE.

In particular for VR Vulkan will be the most prefered engine to use, as it got implemented the newest openXR technology as an upcoming standard to run VR application from scratch with all VR headsets from different manufacturer.

It surely will take some time, as everything regarding VR is in constant development. But signs, like Oculus is now starting to implement OpenXR to their VR headset drivers, show that it will become a standard, like DirectX had become for graphical applications on Windows Systems.

Vulkan goes far from this, as not being limited by Windows but more open to be used for the developer and user.

The implementation of VR in DCS is very good made by ED, I would say. But it surely took a lot of coding and time to deal with it for the devs, especially to adopt the VR functionality in DCS to the current different standards of the manufacturer, like SteamVR/OpenVR, Windows Mixed Reality and Oculus. Vulkan surely will make life easier to the devs, when all manufacturer switched to the predictable common standard of OpenXR, where all newest technology to run VR headsets are bundled and updated for best performance and visual quality on base of Vulkan API.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

With the newest version of Steam VR, I'm looking at the video settings. Where should be be at in resolution per eye? I'm currently set to 2556x2552 per eye, with DCS PD set at 1.4 and it seems to give me acceptable performance.

What's AUTO do on res per eye?

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!

Vulkan will be a huge step in terms of performance gain for DCS, not only for VR, but as well for conventionai monitor performance. Vulkan is much better optimized for the use of multicore CPUs than EDGE is. Nowadays, everyone has got a multicore CPU running, which could use its potential for a Vulkan engine far more better than with EDGE.

In particular for VR Vulkan will be the most prefered engine to use, as it got implemented the newest openXR technology as an upcoming standard to run VR application from scratch with all VR headsets from different manufacturer.

It surely will take some time, as everything regarding VR is in constant development. But signs, like Oculus is now starting to implement OpenXR to their VR headset drivers, show that it will become a standard, like DirectX had become for graphical applications on Windows Systems.

Vulkan goes far from this, as not being limited by Windows but more open to be used for the developer and user.

The implementation of VR in DCS is very good made by ED, I would say. But it surely took a lot of coding and time to deal with it for the devs, especially to adopt the VR functionality in DCS to the current different standards of the manufacturer, like SteamVR/OpenVR, Windows Mixed Reality and Oculus. Vulkan surely will make life easier to the devs, when all manufacturer switched to the predictable common standard of OpenXR, where all newest technology to run VR headsets are bundled and updated for best performance and visual quality on base of Vulkan API.

Interesting comments. Do you by chance have any sources?

I've noticed that with my 5.4 GHz 9900K, the CPU is still the bottleneck in DCS VR for me. My RTX Titan is usually only being used 50-60% and I STILL get FPS drops from 90 to 45.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

xplane 11 has vulkan on its beta i'm going to try it. Both dcs & xplane are just too much for my system in vr i really hope vulkan can help.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I've noticed that with my 5.4 GHz 9900K, the CPU is still the bottleneck in DCS VR for me. My RTX Titan is usually only being used 50-60% and I STILL get FPS drops from 90 to 45.

There is not a computer rig today, that can give full fps in VR with no drops in DCS.

I doubt even the 30xx series of Nvidia cards will do it, going to take either a lot more CPU horsepower and/or the games making better use of the cores/threads. Maybe Vulcan will help.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Have you used fpsVR ? You can use it with the Reverb, I dont know for you other VR-set(s).

There is some info in this forum from ED developers or moderators about Vulcan. Probably a long wait but when implemented it really should make a difference.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Have you used fpsVR ? You can use it with the Reverb, I dont know for you other VR-set(s).

There is some info in this forum from ED developers or moderators about Vulcan. Probably a long wait but when implemented it really should make a difference.

Ah cool. No, never heard of it. Purchasing now.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Ah cool. No, never heard of it. Purchasing now.

Guess you found out about the good things with fpsVR ?

Anyone heard any info about how the covid-19 affects the 8KX ?

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe