StreamDeck beginner questions

Got a StreamDeck XL yesterday and started to play around with it.

First things first... as it seems i'm still old school because i searched for a decent manual only to find nothing beside a quick start guide.

Youtube video's seem the way to go these days to get the desired info but then... it's time consuming to look through entire long video's only to find out that the thing you're looking for isn't covered. So a decent manual which covers everything A to Z would be nice.

But even with the lack of a decent manual things are in general quite straight forward so i started to experiment with some stuff to make it communicate with DCS and there i ran into my first problem.

LShift and RShift both give LShift in DCS (or others L R modifiers). Found the solution in some Github post (differentiate Left/Right modifiers). So we're getting there... but not quite (i don't like to go through Github because i fail to understand how the programs on there need to be installed, only on a few occasions one find a .exe installer).

Problem:

DCS does not recognise any aditional key beyond the first modifier (or some keys).

If i use RShift+F1 for an action... assign it like that in StreamDeck and press the button DCS only sees the RShift and not the F1 keystroke.

StreamDeck itself seems to output the entire keychain because if i use whatever keytester and press the button, RShift and F1 show op.

Same goes for some keys: Home is detected by DCS and in a keytester, Pause/Break is not detected by DCS but in a keytester it shows up fine.

I also installed some profiles i found here as test and they contain quite a few multiple keystroke functions so i guess it should function somehow.

I have set the software to run as admin (seems to solve a few issues but mine...LOL) and have the latest software / firmware version installed.

What do i miss?

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

For Pause I have the same problem, I changed it to P.

With a Streamdeck profile, you need to copy the Keyboard.diff.lua file corresponding to a plane to get the Streamdeck commands works

My profile

https://github.com/Togg-streamdeck/dcs/blob/master/DCS.streamDeckProfile

For the F/A-18

https://github.com/Togg-streamdeck/dcs/blob/master/f18/Keyboard.diff.lua

Copy it to :

C:\Users\USER\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet\keyboard

Edited by Togg

Just ran a little test in Elite Dangerous.

There is works fine, RShift+F1 is recognised as it should.

Pause/break key doesn't work their either though...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hey Togg: what about key combinations?

I can't get those to work in DCS, Elite Dangerous is fine as is any keytester i've tried.

What software version are you running?

Good tip on the Pause --> P.

Edited by Lange_666

Yes, non of the combo's won't work in DCS (but do in Elite), no matter what key combo. It only sees the first key.

If i set L-ALT+RShift+J is only sees the L-ALT and then cuts off.

DCS and IL-2 don't work (in DCS the (first) modifier is the only key that gets through, in IL-2 only the key that is combined with modifier(s)).

Elite works but with only one modifier, if 2 modifiers are used at the same time, only the modifiers show up.

X-plane works as it should (except for the Pause key which is recognized as KEY1)

Got the same software version as you (latest).

Edited by Lange_666

Been trying all morning to get this to work, atm still no joy:

Things tried (that i found along my search route):

- Installing StreamDeck in default directory (C:/Program Files....)

- Installing StreamDeck in anything else then default directory.

- Running as Admin

- Running sims as Admin

- Clearing Saved Games Input and remake them.

- Uninstalling, rebooting, clearing out everything i could find, including registry

- Removing VoiceAttack (and clearing it out totally)

A few people in the forum dealt with the same problem, among them...Strut, frostycab (he got it working with the Admin trick)....

All with no effect. The only step i can't take is reverting to an older software version. For a lot of people reverting back to 3.0 solved the issue but that software is old and before the introduction of the left/right modifiers. All links to older software lead to nowhere.

Also found that re-installing DCS doesn't solve the problem either, didn't try that yet, just did read it as a solution that didn't work.

Still the same problem as mentioned above:

- DCS and IL-2 don't work (in DCS the (first) modifier is the only key that gets through, in IL-2 only the key that is combined with modifier(s)).

Problem is the same in Stable and Open Beta (both installed on different drives).

- Elite works but with only one modifier, if 2 modifiers are used at the same time, only the modifiers show up, not the actual key that go with it (same as in DCS but there it's cut-off at the first modifier).

- Elite works if both StreamDeck and Elite are set to Run As Admin.

- X-Plane_11 works as it should (except for the Pause key which is recognized as KEY1).

Edited by Lange_666

Little update on things tried:

- Removed all input device besides mouse/keyboard and the StreamDeck XL: no joy

- Uninstalled and installed the first software version (finally found it) which supported the XL: no joy.

- Installed Super Macro's plugin because someone mentioned he could use that as substitute for the same problem: no joy.

- Searched through the Elgato Discord channels for the same problem. Found a couple but no solution.

- Tried with Windows Virtual Keyboard: All modifiers light show up but the key that goes with it doesn't light up but...it works.

Edited by Lange_666

Got it working!!

Just...

Don't ask me how, i don't have a clue... LOL.

This morning i thought, let's see how it responds to another keytester so i went for an online one and there it worked, as expected, just fine.

Went into IL-2 but instead of going into settings and keymapping for the test, i went straight ingame and much to my amazement the StreamDeck worked...:huh:

How...? Why all of sudden...?

I tried also the SuperMacro's i put up because this never worked, not with a single key either, worked just fine. What...?

Then went into settings, keymapping and there...it did not work. Only the last character showed up when a StreamDesk button was pressed.

Went into DCS and there it worked too (i was less amazed right now)...:thumbup:

Went into controls and there it didn't work either, DCS only sees the first character the StreamDeck send out.

So i can't setup an action on the StreamDeck and then go into controls and press the StreamDeck buttons to register this action. If it contains more then one key-press it doesn't record (it does not in IL-2, i works in Elite only if both are set to Admin, it works in X-Plane so that still stands so the question is why the difference between all these sims?).

But i did the same before, just setup a StreamDeck action with a combined key-press, go into DCS and try right away in game and it never worked.

Why then now all of a sudden? Can't get my head around it...

Booted the PC, same thing, still works. Shut down PC, waited a bit, rebooted... still works.

I'm a happy man right now, took me 3 days but i still don't know why. Since last night and this morning nothing changed. Just can't get my head around it...

But right now...:joystick: :pilotfly: :joystick:

Edited by Lange_666

Since last night and this morning nothing changed.

I have to correct myself. I did add two buttons to my StreamDeck profile last night that i used as test for the sims. One to turn the brightness up, the other to turn the brightness of the keys down, didn't retest DCS and IL-2 after that.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Any news? Im also trying to get Stream deck to work in IL2 with modifiers. So far I discovered that sometimes IL2 does get the Modifier+key input but most of the time it does not. It looks like its random, since most of the time it only recognizes the last key but every now and then it does recognize the combo.

How do you work?

Set it up on the Streamdeck first and then use the Streamdeck output to bind your key's in IL-2? If you go that road, it doesn't work (nor does it in DCS).

I set up the commands in the Stream Deck app, then go into IL2, click on to bind the action and then press the SD button. Some times for LShf+E, for example, it recognizes only E. I click on retry and press the SD button again, sometimes it is recognized as LShft+E. I repeat the cycle many times. On occasion I even get three Lshft+E in a row, then B, then LShf+B again and then only B five times straight. Something similar happens in DCS. If you press the SD button many times, it eventually registers correctly. I wonder why it happens. Do you believe we could contact SD support?

Update:

I opened windows virtual keyboard and left it open in the background. This incresed the chance of getting the correct input both in DCS and IL2 to about 60% up from 20 or so %. Odd

Edited by Bombtastic

It doesn't work correctly that way. Had the same problem in the beginning. You have to work the other way around. Set up your binding in IL2 or DCS and then the same in the SD.