Why is the Viper getting TWS before the Hornet?

key_stroked

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by the sound of it the fa-18 radar has more dependencies than the f-16s, from a development standpoint then it would represent the most efficient route to go "backwards"

in other words, the fa-18 tws never got put off, it just happens that the f-16 tws is able to be dropped in along the way.

not something worth getting jealous over

Edited by probad

The short answer is because this is what ED has decided to do. We can speculate on dependencies and difficulties, but the fact is that we don't know because ED has not provided any technical reasons for giving the Viper this feature first.

Edited by WOPR

Who says the Hornet isn’t getting TWS in parallel? Seems all we have are assumptions right now.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

If anybody from ED reads this, just some advice. If you are going to release TWS for the 16 before the 18, you need to explain it better that the information that has been released thus far.

You should provide specific details as to why the 18 is taking longer and why it's further behind a module that was released 2 weeks ago. Otherwise there will be pitchforks from the masses.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord

If anybody from ED reads this, just some advice. If you are going to release TWS for the 16 before the 18, you need to explain it better that the information that has been released thus far.

You should provide specific details as to why the 18 is taking longer and why it's further behind a module that was released 2 weeks ago. Otherwise there will be pitchforks from the masses.

But...The Hornet isn't further behind the Viper.

The Hornet has;

JDAMs

JSOWs

MAVs

HARMs

Harpoons

Center pylon fuel tank

exterior lights

moving map

IFF

Jettison

etc

You guys have got to calm down a bit, the order of features coming on line is irrelevant.

But...The Hornet isn't further behind the Viper.

Pretty sure he meant "further behind the Viper as regards this feature."

I tend to agree that the messaging from ED could have been better in this instance. TWS has been one of them most consistently asked for Hornet features since Day One, so announcing its debut as a feature for the brand new Viper instead of the Hornet was always going to generate negative responses in some quarters.

It would have been smarter to have got ahead of this conversation, as opposed to letting the speculation, conjecture and grumbling start first.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Viper getting TWS first...

Guys I'm sorry I've been supportive of most everything ED does. I'm one of the first people to talk other people down from flaming over issues and see the reasoning behind things. I've seen the post by Nine Line explaining the "efficiency" of keep the radar guy on the Viper to finish TWS...

But that is in unacceptable! If it's done then hold it till you have them both done! That's not how you keep a customer base happy. That's how you anger them. You have a group that's been loyal bought all your new releases including the Viper in my case. But the promise was that the Viper would not take priority and that after release those people would go back to the Hornet. To not get TWS at least at the same time is a slap in the face to every Hornet customer.

TWS has been the most called for function in the jet since day one...way more important than Mavs, JSOW, Harpoon, TGP etc etc etc etc

I'll get off my soapbox now and refrain from defending ED the next time something like this comes up....

Edited by Greekbull

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

• ED Team

Ok, here is the deal, and I am sure it won't make it any easier, but it was determined that it would be more efficient for the Radar guy to stay put and finish what he is doing on the Viper, THAT said, the work he is doing on the Viper is still mutually beneficial to the Hornet, and while it ends up that the Viper gets it first, the development aside from tying it into the Hornet systems will be all but done.

I heard horror stories from the past about old code that was left by ex-employees, and no one could figure it out or do much with it, I think they are being much more proactive with development now so that items can be better plugged into new modules...

I still get it though, this won't make people happy, but for now it makes the most sense. Sorry guys.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I won't lie, it is kinda annoying, to be honest. But I'm working with code all day and yeah, sometimes it's better to focus on a different side-project and get it done, keep going with the flow and all that, it is what it is. Sometimes, coders get stuck (I know I do) and going with the flow can help get them going. Plus, the Hornet gets the first MITL weapon in DCS (OK, it's an old weapon that wasn't used during our Hornet's time, but still), so that proves that systems work does continue regardless of everything else.

Maybe this could've been communicated a little better. TWS is long overdue for the Hornet. But at least this tells me that we're very close to getting TWS in the Hornet as well, if indeed, plugging the code and interfacing it is all that's needed. I just hope I'm right.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I guess the biggest point is this is a unforced error. If you finished TWS for the Viper...don't say a word. Get it finished for the Hornet and release them both at the same time.

You have a lot of people that have been waiting for TWS above all things for a long time and to come right out and give the Viper a huge A2A edge right out the gate is not something that makes people happy. I'm sure no one would have an issue if they came out at the same time but this isn't something that is very palatable at all. I'm definitely someone that usually drinks the kool-aid 99% of the time. And I'm not one to come on here and say much of anything other than point out bugs. But this one hurts.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I understand why you have chosen to do as you have done.

However it is in my view and unacceptable thing to do.

You know full well that many many hornet pilots have TWS as a single capability they have focused on, especially for MP.

You know that there is already anger that ED has delayed features for the Hornet to prioritise getting the Viper to EA

To now deploy TWS to the Viper *before* the Hornet, even if it is by a single OB, is in my mind optically unacceptable.

I was going to buy the viper at such point the Hornet had been completed with pace. As a result of this development . I have decided I will now not purchase the Viper from you as I can only it appears influence EDs behaviour by closing my wallet.

I will not purchase another module (I own most full fidelity jets) until I perceive that ED has changed its ways and respects the customers by giving features to those who have been waiting the longest.

Maybe you will in time listen to that.

Get it finished for the Hornet and release them both at the same time.

That doesn't really make sense - why force Viper users to wait just so Hornet users don't have their feelings hurt? I own both, I just want TWS as soon as possible, I don't care which gets it first - the Hornet is already much more capable from a sensors point of view with fully fleshed out LTWS, MSI and SA pages.

Ok, here is the deal, and I am sure it won't make it any easier, but it was determined that it would be more efficient for the Radar guy to stay put and finish what he is doing on the Viper, THAT said, the work he is doing on the Viper is still mutually beneficial to the Hornet, and while it ends up that the Viper gets it first, the development aside from tying it into the Hornet systems will be all but done.

Makes sense and will mean only a short delay for the Hornet's implementation.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

This is why I am not buying the F16 for a few years. I broke my general rule of not buying anything in early access(This isn't specific to DCS just games in general) . But I bought the F-18 to support ED because I like DCS so much..... But I got to say I got very angry when I saw the Viper reveal.... here I am sitting here with an 80 dollar plane that is developing at a snails pace. I have spent over 400 dollars on DCS( I don't buy the modules on sale purposefully) But if this is going to be the way of it. Releasing things half finished before finishing the things you already have then I am going to have to start sitting on my money.

Seriously? You thing making Viper owners wait a couple Of weeks (haha) for a functionality that people have been calling for for a year and a half isn’t ‘fair’ - especially on those who do not have the Viper

Yes when they're asking them to arbitrarily not release a finished feature just so the Hornet can get it first. Whether they release it when it's ready for the Viper or wait till the Hornet's ready to release it for both, you still get TWS in the Hornet on the same day in either scenario - the only difference is if you wait you've held back a feature that people could, in the meantime, be enjoying and finding and reporting the inevitable bugs with in order to not upset Hornet users. Like I said, it doesn't make sense.

You and I obviously disagree about levels of ‘fair’. No more to be said on the matter I feel

It's fair to feel this way I guess, but in the end if moving him back would delay both even further, I would make the same choice knowing I'd wear some pain in the short run.

Seeing Nineline talk about the radar being implemented as an API properly is a good thing on an entire DCS level, because it means that they can more readily change the radar simulation without breaking modules in strange and amazing ways like was happening a little while back.