R-27ER update?

Schmidtfire

From my understanding ED did not do CFD for the current AIM-7

Literally a few posts back:

The fact is that the AIM-7 made a new model according to the results of the simulation in the CFD software, and the R-27 is still the old one.

Over time, we will do it for R-27 too.

They have done CFD on AIM-7, and R-27 with an older software. Likely also all other missiles.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
..."Okie" has 6000hrs in different fighters. 850 traps (300 night). A-4, F-14, F-5 agressor pilot, F-16 etc. Very knowledgeable about air-air combat and tactics. But it might be bad memory or the Aim-120A he compare it against... Great Q/A, and another one recently came out.

Considering the era he was going to be doing that in it has to be the 120A maybe at best the B, but not even early C's.

I wouldn`t complain too loudly or they might fix the current bug where R-27ERs are acting like ETs and are homing in on a target without illumination.

Isn't there a bug-report about this somewhere? Just wondering.

Saw it the first time today in TacView.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

I wouldn`t complain too loudly or they might fix the current bug where R-27ERs are acting like ETs and are homing in on a target without illumination.

14 years in FC/DCS, 100% Flanker pilot - ER's mostly can't reach/hit target, tracking so bad, guidance so bad, ET miss because just one flare and ppl here talking about "R-27ERs are acting like ETs and are homing in on a target without illumination" as some big thing even i never noticed that behavior or make kill on that way. :huh:

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

You mean homing on a jammer?

ER will never guide on a target that is not locked in STT unless it is a HOJ shot.

14 years in FC/DCS, 100% Flanker pilot - ER's mostly can't reach/hit target, tracking so bad, guidance so bad, ET miss because just one flare and ppl here talking about "R-27ERs are acting like ETs and are homing in on a target without illumination" as some big thing even i never noticed that behavior or make kill on that way. :huh:

Of course you didn't notice it. When it happened you've been hanging on your chute while your last shot ER was still chasing its target (as long as it was tracking the moment before you got shot down).

But if you want I can send you a TACVIEW-file where you can watch it happen. (AI Su-30 with R-27ER).

Back in the days when I flew the Flanker I was always ok with the ERs and ETs. At least you had enough of them with you. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You mean homing on a jammer?

ER will never guide on a target that is not locked in STT unless it is a HOJ shot.

The shooting aircraft needs to have a target locked. Fires an R-27ER and keeps tracking. Then he gets hit and crashes but the 27ER keeps tracking like the shooter was still there and supporting.

You can still spoof the missile and it will run out of energy and all... but it keeps tracking without support in case the support was quit by shooting down the shooter.

No one says its tracking when you fire it without a lock and you're alive. Seems to be a bug happening because DCS fails to tell the missile it's not supported anymore. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The shooting aircraft needs to have a target locked. Fires an R-27ER and keeps tracking. Then he gets hit and crashes but the 27ER keeps tracking like the shooter was still there and supporting.

You can still spoof the missile and it will run out of energy and all... but it keeps tracking without support in case the support was quit by shooting down the shooter.

No one says its tracking when you fire it without a lock and you're alive. Seems to be a bug happening because DCS fails to tell the missile it's not supported anymore. :joystick:

That about you talking can be lagg. Once i had situation where i kill F15C, avoid his missile and then after 11sec i was splashed by that damn missile that make U-Turn, chase me and hit... after 11sec. Experts here said to me = LAGG (not missile problem). :joystick:

But i'd like to see that bug reproduced few times... again i never seen that.

Edited by Falcon_S

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

That about you talking can be lagg. Once i had situation where i kill F15C, avoid his missile and then after 11sec i was splashed by that damn missile that make U-Turn, chase me and hit... after 11sec. Experts here said to me = LAGG (not missile problem). :joystick:

But i'd like to see that bug reproduced few times... again i never seen that.

No problem. Set up an SP test mission. Lock your target and launch. Wait for him to begin evasive maneuvering. Turn off your radar and turn away. It will continue tracking as he continues to maneuver. Happens 100%. Even better is not to give him countermeasures. Then it never chases anything but the target during all of this.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

As i thought - ECM is ON and Missile go HOJ as expected.

ECM OFF - no that famous tracking. So, seems you guys shoting on ECM, HOJ.

ER Tracking Test ECM ON .rar

ER Tracking Test ECM OFF .rar

Isn't the launch mode supposed to be STT or HOJ? Can the missile change tracking modes mid-flight, if the supporting radar illumination is lost?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

This is DCS. Your jammer emits constantly, it's not a an SPJ-like jammer (And in fact DCS known nothing about how your radar is tuned - this information just doesn't exist) so with the bandit radar gone, you'd expect the SPJ to have nothing to repeat after 5 sec (imagining perfect timing where the SPJ 'listened' just before the radar stopped emitting, then tried to do its thing for 5 sec) ... so it would just go silent.

THis doesn't happen in DCS, it's just a constant source of noise that the missile can home in on. However, missiles should be flying pure pursuit at this point, so if you got hit it's sort of on you.

Also, turn off your jammer once you're inside 20-25nm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

As i thought - ECM is ON and Missile go HOJ as expected.

ECM OFF - no that famous tracking. So, seems you guys shoting on ECM, HOJ.

Sorry. ECM or no ECM, it tracks without radar support.

EDIT: Turns out this isn’t true. Read the next few posts.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I see, the ER unlocked will "track" the target, but it will only do 1.5g (including countering gravity). It does not really follow the target, it just turns whenever the target turns.

But still the missile will never hit the target.

I tried firing an R-27ER, watched the missile in F6 going directly to the maneuvering target. Moments before the imact I turned the radar off and watched the missile instantly turn away from the intercept hitting and flying far in front of the target.

This non-radar ER guidance is nothing but a "visual effect". It is not actually going for the target as a object in 3d space, but somehow its movement correlates with the target movement.

In fact all Fox 1 in DCS are plagued by this bug, which means that in almost all cases losing lock even for a split second will mean that the missile will magically turn away from its last intercept course into a chaff: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=253434

So on a server where players use chaff you should never see ER's "guiding" without lock, as without lock they are instantly trashed due to the bug.

Tacview-20200107-193155-DCS-ins.zip.zip

Tacview-20200107-194418-DCS.zip.zip

I see, the ER unlocked will "track" the target, but it will only do 1.5g (including countering gravity). It does not really follow the target, it just turns whenever the target turns...

This non-radar ER guidance is nothing but a "visual effect". It is not actually going for the target as a object in 3d space, but somehow its movement correlates with the target movement...

:) You mean it wasn’t my expect piloting that caused the miss? But you’re right. I wasn’t paying close enough attention. I opened the TRK file in the ME and removed the trigger that destroyed the shooter right after he launched his missile. With everything else the same and guidance all the way, the R-27ER behaved very differently. It still missed but at least it was pulling higher Gs while in pursuit.

Are you sure about the HOJ aspect?

_____