Asrock and memory

I have an H-170m motherboard . Manual and website show it supports XMP 2.0 . Partspicker and others show 3200mhz memory as compatible . But the manual and the website shows only 2133 hz dimms as compatible . What gives ? Will an H-110m support 3200 mhz or not ?

Thanks in advance for replies .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have an H-110m motherboard . Manual and website show it supports XMP 2.0 . Partspicker and others show 3200mhz memory as compatible . But the manual and the website shows only 2133 hz dimms as compatible . What gives ? Will an H-110m support 3200 mhz or not ?

Thanks in advance for replies .

Go by the manual and QVL PCPP is show its compatible because its DDR4 ram. PCPP does not have it set up to tell you exactly what timing and mhz will work with that motherboard. Also a lot of times the specs of the ram over the standard of the specs of the cpu is called OC mode and that will depend on the Memory controller on the CPU if it would work.

For Example:

Standard DDR4 RAM for the 9700k is 2666mhz anything over that is considered OC. They can't guarantee you will hit those timing above the that. Say you wanted 4000mhz if you don't have a good IMC you won't be able to hit that or will have problems.

Correct me if wrong but I think that's how it goes.

Best bet is to choose from the QVL and manual from the website

Go by the manual and QVL PCPP is show its compatible because its DDR4 ram. PCPP does not have it set up to tell you exactly what timing and mhz will work with that motherboard. Also a lot of times the specs of the ram over the standard of the specs of the cpu is called OC mode and that will depend on the Memory controller on the CPU if it would work.

For Example:

Standard DDR4 RAM for the 9700k is 2666mhz anything over that is considered OC. They can't guarantee you will hit those timing above the that. Say you wanted 4000mhz if you don't have a good IMC you won't be able to hit that or will have problems.

Thank you . I am under the impression that XMP itself sets the timings automatically . And i understand that selecting from the QVL provides the best guaranteed results . The other board manufactures specify what speeds they support ((3200 3600) etc , but for at least this board , Asrock only lists 2133 modules ,( even though in the features they note will support 2400 with 7th gen cpus ) .

My question is , can anyone verify if the H170 will run 3200mhz ram at 3200 ?

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Note : edited posts to show H170 instead of H110 .

Having looked at the RIGHT mb memory QVL this time , i did find 2400 and oc . Unfortunately the only oc's are adata and

Some brand i never heard of...still digging .

Edited by Svsmokey

For Example:

Had a little trouble with the PCPP acronym , which had me confused with what you are saying :) I understand better now . Thanks for the reply . As the QVL doesn't list much in the way of oc dimms , i guess i'll stick to the original plan & buy a motherboard . Was hoping to save $200 . C'est la vive avec pc's .