F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 26 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #251
Greyhound11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
It's down for some edits and has been for awhile.

I feel like since the trim system was tweaked a patch or so ago, life got harder trapping. So I'm doing less trapping and more land based stuff on multiplayer. I don't want to repeat the training scars I still have from the early Hornet patches when it comes to carrier recoveries.
But AOA being AOA, wouldnt you experience any issues in both approaches? or just doing straight ins (still have to trim)
Greyhound11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #252
Biggus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound11 View Post
But AOA being AOA, wouldnt you experience any issues in both approaches? or just doing straight ins (still have to trim)

Yes, but I'm not spending an hour and a half a day just trapping now. I was up until the last week or so when I realised that the FM was still being tuned quite substantially. Now I spend that hour and a half on other things.

I do straight-ins very rarely as they're only useful for practicing glideslope interception for me, and that's a skill better developed in a proper case 1 pattern anyway.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #253
Cytarabine

Nothing more disappointing when you hit the deck and know - this is going to be a 1-wire and Jester confirms that with ‘That’s a 1 wire’.
Cytarabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #254
Greyhound11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
Yes, but I'm not spending an hour and a half a day just trapping now. I was up until the last week or so when I realised that the FM was still being tuned quite substantially. Now I spend that hour and a half on other things.

I do straight-ins very rarely as they're only useful for practicing glideslope interception for me, and that's a skill better developed in a proper case 1 pattern anyway.
I've been kind of doing the same thing, focusing more on the combat aspect. My downwind I just cannot get right. If I am on AOA and slow enough to descend, minor throttle adjustments either cost hundreds of feet in altitude and leading the descent with throttle seems waaaaaaay to slow to be realistic, and if it works, i'll shoot up back through 800, 1000 ft etc. then when i think i have it right, sometimes it'll just fall off and start losing control so ill plug in burner for a go around and it just does not care and rolls over and puts me in the drink.

I dont like to compare to the hornet because we all know this is a MASSIVELY different beast, but i am doing something crazy wrong in the cat that it seems like basic flight principles are not coming remotely close to correcting and I cannot figure out what it is.

anxiously awaiting the revamp on this doc.
Greyhound11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #255
SCPGrinder66

I think one thing that is very different in the tomcat, especially for those coming from the hornet, is that it is not wrong to make pitch adjustments with the stick. In the hornet, we learned once on-speed to never touch the stick for pitch... IMO in the tomcat it's a constant adjustment with pitch as well as with throttle...you just have to remember that in the landing config, pitch is an airspeed control, not altitude or glideslope - you do that with throttle... you can see this clearly in tomcat CV ops videos where the tailerons are flapping around on final... I always thought this was part of the 'turkey' nickname

If you get fast after some throttle input, try some small nose up inputs and you'll see it come back on-speed

Last edited by SCPGrinder66; 05-13-2019 at 07:20 PM.
SCPGrinder66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #256
SCPGrinder66

https://youtu.be/yR8IWvWn5YU?t=391

here's a good example...at 6:41
SCPGrinder66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #257
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPGrinder66 View Post
https://youtu.be/yR8IWvWn5YU?t=391

here's a good example...at 6:41
While I certainly wouldn't disagree that small pitch corrections are required, the stabs move with DLC inputs also, so the stick movements may not be as much as it seems (although I admit I'm not sure how much).
Flamin_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #258
Mule

I can't see the link for the pdf.

Does anyone have a copy they can share?
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #259
Lucas_From_Hell

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Victory!

If you don't mind, I have a curiosity question about DLC. Are there situations where it is not toggled on for landing (either gross weight, weather or personal preference), or was using it mandatory at all times?
Lucas_From_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #260
ENO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I can't see the link for the pdf.

Does anyone have a copy they can share?
I thought for sure I’d have it tucked away but now I’m scrambling. If you find a copy let me know and I’ll do the same for you.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art
ENO is offline   Reply With Quote