F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 24 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #231
Q-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
That is the exact procedure I have been using lately and it works perfectly for me as well. Maybe Victory205 can drop in and comment about our method to see if this is how it is supposed to be done.

Oh, and welcome to DCS and flight simming! The A-10..? Ha! It's like flying a Cessna 172 in comparison. Despite how challenging the Tomcat has been, it is a very rewarding experience and I cannot wait to master it. For me, the Tomcat has been the most wonderful flight sim experience and gets better and better each time I fly.
Cessna 172 was more or less my previous flight sim experience. I was doing MS Flight Sim 5.x when it was still on floppy disks and then for various reasons (school mostly at the time, then other interests) stopped for a long time. Glad I got back into it. The Warthog is very much the proverbial minivan to the Tomcat's sports car.

Just re-reading my copy of the doc, Victory205 emphasizes feel, but I noticed something that I had missed before:

Quote:
Keep your head out of the cockpit. Visually pull the nose along the horizon...
I haven't been doing that. I've been referencing the VDI. I should try it the other way and see if that smooths things out.
Q-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #232
elaintahra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Here is the Case I Landing Tips Paper Part Deux.

It's a a 7200+ word PDF so you can reference it offline.

Fly the Ball
Where can I download it?
elaintahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #233
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaintahra View Post
Where can I download it?
It was taken down temporarly and is being revised. Hopefully we get it back soon. Victory205's papers are priceless and are really the only things that tell us how to actually fly the Tomcat.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 PM   #234
METEOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
I also heartily endorse Victory205's suggestion of turning off the HUD and using your flight instruments. It's *really* awkward at first, especially if you've flown other aircraft that display the necessary information to the HUD like most of my previous experience in DCS, but you get used to it...and you get much better information than the rudimentary HUD of the Tomcat provides.
Yes I'm also going 'commando' myself

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 16Gb RAM, M.2 SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #235
Eldur

This reminds me of the webpages that are taken down completey for maintnance while they still could be used, just because the company's building a completely new one and doesn't like their old one anymore (and they probably never heard of testing environments either)...

But in this case I could understand that Victory just doesn't want us to learn things that might not be 100% correct anymore because it's utterly hard to unlearn things you learnt wrong in the first place
Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 AM   #236
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldur View Post
This reminds me of the webpages that are taken down completey for maintnance while they still could be used, just because the company's building a completely new one and doesn't like their old one anymore (and they probably never heard of testing environments either)...

But in this case I could understand that Victory just doesn't want us to learn things that might not be 100% correct anymore because it's utterly hard to unlearn things you learnt wrong in the first place
From what I understand, HB is tuning the FM and also how the Tomcat handles in the landing configuration, so hopefully we see these improvements soon and Victory205 is updating his tips according to the FM changes.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #237
Greyhound11

My main problem, and the part that kind of gets glossed over in the previous rev which may be being rectified now, is the descent on downwind. I've gotten my start and my break on point, and in the hornet I can set my AOA and then control my decent with power, but the relationship is different in the tomcat as power adjustments adjust AOA. So I hope he expands that a bit.

Also for some reason on my few recent tries my DLC hasn't been popping out so that needs som investigation on my end.
Greyhound11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #238
TonyG

I find a little bump forward with power addition helps keep the nose down, and conversely, with power reductions a little back stick. If you’ve got it trimmed properly, you shouldn’t need to trim with small power adjustments as it will settle back to where it was (on speed). This is very different from the Hornet.

Addition of power adds pitch, reduction of power lowers the nose.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #239
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
I find a little bump forward with power addition helps keep the nose down, and conversely, with power reductions a little back stick. If you’ve got it trimmed properly, you shouldn’t need to trim with small power adjustments as it will settle back to where it was (on speed). This is very different from the Hornet.

Addition of power adds pitch, reduction of power lowers the nose.
The Tomcat definetly needs pitch stick inputs while flying on speed in the landing configuration, even if trimmed perfectly.

I find the need for stick input is greatly increased in the approach turn. Once I start to turn, the nose drops and my AoA indicates that I am fast. I have to reduce throttle a bit and apply continous aft stick input through the turn to keep the nose up in my attempt to stay on speed.

In comparison, the Hornet will not require any pitch input once AoA is trimmed and you are on speed. I could literally go into the control settings and unassign my pitch axis and still land perfectly with just throttle and roll inputs.

Last edited by =BJM=; 05-04-2019 at 08:29 PM.
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #240
Y0UNGBL00D

And that's what I'm trying to unlearn. Slowly but surely.
Y0UNGBL00D is offline   Reply With Quote