F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 23 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #221
Lieuie
Member
 
Lieuie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Posts: 148
Default

Read the bottom of Victory205's post. It says there's a revision in progress.
Lieuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #222
MatthlK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieuie View Post
Read the bottom of Victory205's post. It says there's a revision in progress.

Thanks. Interpreted the line just as a hint/reason for an edit that went online.
Didn't expect Victory205 to take it offline during revision. How dare he?

Can hardly wait.
__________________
Callsign „Antares“
MatthlK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #223
Nealius
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 3,267
Default

Is anyone experiencing severe dropping below deck level on bolters? I put the throttles to MIL right at (or a split second before) impacting the deck, then once I come off the deck for a bolter I bottom out at about 52-53ft MSL. Altimeter typically reads 70ft MSL when on the deck. In comparison, the Hornet never drops below 60ft MSL on a bolter. In VR it freaks me out because it looks like I'm going to clip the front-left radio antenna sticking out of the Stennis.
__________________
YouTube Channel: "Clutch"

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #224
=BJM=
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 835
Default

I am really looking forward to the next revision. I still continue to struggle in all phases of the landing, even after 54 hrs and 100+ landing attempts in the Tomcat. I am getting better, but I still can't believe how difficult it is.

Why are there not more tutorial videos on how to land? Is everyone else struggling like me? Of the videos available, I have yet to see one do it correctly...at least by the book or according to the paper by Victory205.
__________________
i5 7600K @4.6GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | 27" 2560x1440p | X-55 HOTAS and Pro Flight Rudder | TrackIR 5 | VoiceAttack
=BJM= is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #225
METEOP
Member
 
METEOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
I am really looking forward to the next revision. I still continue to struggle in all phases of the landing, even after 54 hrs and 100+ landing attempts in the Tomcat. I am getting better, but I still can't believe how difficult it is.

Why are there not more tutorial videos on how to land? Is everyone else struggling like me? Of the videos available, I have yet to see one do it correctly...at least by the book or according to the paper by Victory205.

I`ve simmed for decades and this is the first time that I have something in my hands that is truly difficult for me to do, so if we're the only ones at least we are two

So I'm reverting back to even smaller baby steps. Learning to fly the glidescope and ball in Case II profile. It`s progressively getting more and more natural. Of course Case II is so easy compared to Case I.

For some reason which I cannot explain, the better I get technically (according to Victory`s and other guides) the worse I get practically at the deck.

I've lost something compared to when I started practising for Case I. At first I had no idea what I was doing so I wasn't referring to the instruments, and though it was messy, I ended up landing a couple of time by getting the feeling for it rather than looking at the instruments. I feel like I'm concentrating too much on the instruments now.

I've lost that lovin' feeling...
__________________
METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 16Gb RAM, M.2 SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #226
Biggus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 94
Default

I have good days and bad days. I find it really hard to trim the plane in this patch, harder than it's ever been. I was able to break at 2nm and trim it nicely before I hit the 180. Now I need 4nm. I feel like it's very draggy and I'm using higher power settings, where the gauge isn't very high resolution. FF is around 5,200lb/m in level flight on the standard recovery mission. I'm managing mostly but not sure whether I should be preparing myself to unlearn the characteristics from this patch or whether this is close to real and I should be getting used to it.



I have been getting in the habit of turning the HUD off for my first five traps of the day. Then I allow myself one or two HUD-on traps. Getting out of that HUD comfort zone has made a big difference in my rate of learning. I'm nowhere near as precise trapping as I am with the HUD on, but I'm paying a hell of a lot more attention to the rate of changes in the rest of the pattern. If I could see the ball more clearly I'd be much happier though!

Last edited by Biggus; 04-30-2019 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Forgot a sentence because Jester gave me general anxiety disorder.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #227
Q-Ball
Junior Member
 
Q-Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by METEOP View Post
I`ve simmed for decades and this is the first time that I have something in my hands that is truly difficult for me to do, so if we're the only ones at least we are two

So I'm reverting back to even smaller baby steps. Learning to fly the glidescope and ball in Case II profile. It`s progressively getting more and more natural. Of course Case II is so easy compared to Case I.

For some reason which I cannot explain, the better I get technically (according to Victory`s and other guides) the worse I get practically at the deck.

I've lost something compared to when I started practising for Case I. At first I had no idea what I was doing so I wasn't referring to the instruments, and though it was messy, I ended up landing a couple of time by getting the feeling for it rather than looking at the instruments. I feel like I'm concentrating too much on the instruments now.

I've lost that lovin' feeling...
I've found my attempts getting progressively better, but only after lots and lots of practice. I've been breaking it down by phase (approach, break, downwind, turn to final, flying the ball/trap). I just flew this past weekend with the latest Bankler Case I revision (4.1; it seems he fixed where the Tomcat pilots were getting dinged on the total score for correct AoA abeam, so that's good).

I focused on the break not being an absolute disaster and minimizing altitude loss, adding back some power (~3k pph on the throttle) when coming wings-level so I didn't lose speed too quickly while getting the rest of the landing checklist taken care of and be fighting with the AoA and throttle by getting too slow, and watching the VVI like a hawk so it's not moving all over the place as I trim. I'm a bit fast now when coming abeam so I need to work on trim and throttle, but I've been breaking inside 2 DME at ~400 Kts and ending up consistently around 1.1-1.3 NM at the abeam position, so it's coming together.

I still need to work on flying the ball...a lot. But my success so far has come from breaking down the individual phases and working on them one at a time, even if it means waving off and starting over, because at a certain point you just need to accept that it's not gonna happen on this pass. For those having trouble, I found working on the mechanics at a field (preferably with a TACAN station so you can set your course and so forth) helped a lot, especially on the landing phase because the target is a lot bigger than the deck of a carrier.

I also heartily endorse Victory205's suggestion of turning off the HUD and using your flight instruments. It's *really* awkward at first, especially if you've flown other aircraft that display the necessary information to the HUD like most of my previous experience in DCS, but you get used to it...and you get much better information than the rudimentary HUD of the Tomcat provides.
Q-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #228
=BJM=
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by METEOP View Post
I`ve simmed for decades and this is the first time that I have something in my hands that is truly difficult for me to do, so if we're the only ones at least we are two

So I'm reverting back to even smaller baby steps. Learning to fly the glidescope and ball in Case II profile. It`s progressively getting more and more natural. Of course Case II is so easy compared to Case I.
I have flight simmed for decades as well...general aviation, airliners, WWI, WWII, modern fighters. The Tomcat is by far the most challenging and difficult aircraft I have ever tried to learn to fly. I am glad it just isn't me who is struggling, but I do wish I could figure out why.

I have started to fly Case II as well just to practice the line up and glideslope without having to worry about all the other complicated things that the Case I brings. It is a good way to train and I agree that breaking down the pattern into it's individual components is good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
I have good days and bad days. I find it really hard to trim the plane in this patch, harder than it's ever been.!
+1 Trimming seems to be a never ending endeavor with hands off stability impossible to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
I focused on the break not being an absolute disaster and minimizing altitude loss
This was hard for me to master as well...it is still very much a work in progress, but I am getting better. I found that I was not banking or pulling hard enough...the quicker I turn 180 onto the downwind, the more able I am to maintain altitude and stability.
__________________
i5 7600K @4.6GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | 27" 2560x1440p | X-55 HOTAS and Pro Flight Rudder | TrackIR 5 | VoiceAttack

Last edited by =BJM=; 04-30-2019 at 07:09 PM.
=BJM= is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #229
Q-Ball
Junior Member
 
Q-Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
This was hard for me to master as well...it is still very much a work in progress, but I am getting better. I found that I was not banking or pulling hard enough...the quicker I turn 180 onto the downwind, the more able I am to maintain altitude and stability.
I've found just the last few reps that if I pull hard enough initially to induce a bit of buffet and then modulate the pull weight on the stick to keep the VVI needle (relatively) still as I pass through 300 kts and start the wings moving, then move my hand to drop the gear and deploy the flaps, all the while watching the VVI needle, that the proper distance from the boat more or less takes care of itself, as long as I end up on the correct reciprocal bearing, +/- 5 degrees and then correct for nose drift as I trim. There's a lot of moving parts!

FWIW I didn't do any flight simming for about 20 years before I picked up DCS and made the gear investment late last year ahead of the Tomcat's release. While, for me, a plane like the A-10 is fairly docile and easy to fly, the Tomcat is a whole different beast. And I find it completely engrossing and quite satisfying as I continue to make progress with learning her.
Q-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:10 PM   #230
=BJM=
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
I've found just the last few reps that if I pull hard enough initially to induce a bit of buffet and then modulate the pull weight on the stick to keep the VVI needle (relatively) still as I pass through 300 kts and start the wings moving, then move my hand to drop the gear and deploy the flaps, all the while watching the VVI needle, that the proper distance from the boat more or less takes care of itself, as long as I end up on the correct reciprocal bearing, +/- 5 degrees and then correct for nose drift as I trim. There's a lot of moving parts!

FWIW I didn't do any flight simming for about 20 years before I picked up DCS and made the gear investment late last year ahead of the Tomcat's release. While, for me, a plane like the A-10 is fairly docile and easy to fly, the Tomcat is a whole different beast. And I find it completely engrossing and quite satisfying as I continue to make progress with learning her.

That is the exact procedure I have been using lately and it works perfectly for me as well. Maybe Victory205 can drop in and comment about our method to see if this is how it is supposed to be done.

Oh, and welcome to DCS and flight simming! The A-10..? Ha! It's like flying a Cessna 172 in comparison. Despite how challenging the Tomcat has been, it is a very rewarding experience and I cannot wait to master it. For me, the Tomcat has been the most wonderful flight sim experience and gets better and better each time I fly.
__________________
i5 7600K @4.6GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | 27" 2560x1440p | X-55 HOTAS and Pro Flight Rudder | TrackIR 5 | VoiceAttack
=BJM= is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.