F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 21 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #201
Q-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by METEOP View Post
On another note, I foud this very usefull :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...hlight=bankler
I've found the Bankler CASE I mission very useful as well. Also, I can actually land on the boat now! Though my highest score so far is about 30/75 I'm still a mess in the downwind, and still learning to fly the ball.

Question for the SMEs: I keep getting dinged in the Bankler mission for having AoA around 15 units abeam, vs the 10.5 or so that the mission insists I should be at. This conflicts with my understanding of "trimmed level, on-speed". Is this just a bug and they haven't translated the requirements for the Hornet to the Tomcat for that portion of the pattern, or am I doing it wrong? I haven't flown the Hornet, so I am not familiar with the CASE I requirements.
Q-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #202
Victory205

They are FUBARed. You aren’t.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #203
Victory103

BZ on the gouge paper, just found it and answered a few questions I had. Plans to cover other events like tanking?
Victory103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #204
probad

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=232264

check his handing tips guide
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #205
METEOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
They are FUBARed. You aren’t.
I haven't really looked at the results that the scripts generate, yet. Maybe some input would be helpful to help bankler tune his mission.

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 16Gb RAM, M.2 SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #206
bobshopsupreme

Stupid question - where do I find the guide reference in the first post (for this and for the practical handling tips etc)? I see a paperclip attachment on the main forum page but if I click on it I just see a little AOA diagram. Everyone else seems to have downloaded these big PDFs. I don't see any other attachments or hyperlinks.

Thanks in advance for setting me straight.
bobshopsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #207
Fracture

Not a stupid question you just missed the little bye line.

"Last edited by Victory205; 04-19-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Revison in Progress"

He's working on an updated version.
Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #208
bobshopsupreme

Ah okay, thanks. I saw the byline but didn't know that meant that the current versions are withdrawn until the update is finished.

In a way it was a good thing as it forced me to do some good old fashioned practice. You don't want to get behind the drag curve on this plane and I wasn't using enough power in the turn to final. I'm now trapping 2 or 3 wires that would make Leslie Nielson proud rather than Meg Ryan, but I just need to get the sight picture memorised. First carrier experience since US Navy Fighters in the 90s. Things have come on a bit...
bobshopsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #209
Nealius
Veteran

Is the burble modeled? I did some on-speed practice, just doing CASE I circuits with a 1,000ALG deck and getting used to keeping her on the orange donut. No problems there. Then when I get to the boat I'll be fine and on speed in the groove all the way down to about 200-300 feet behind the boat. Then my AoA suddenly gets fast out of nowhere and I float away from the deck for a wave-off.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #210
METEOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
Then my AoA suddenly gets fast out of nowhere and I float away from the deck for a wave-off.
Same problem here! Is it caused by the cushioning of the air mass close to the water? I always feel like I need to cut throttle but it makes a hard landing which defeats the purpose of flying the ball all the way.

So currently I 'cheat' by using DLC down aggressively and manage to catch 3 wire most of the time but I have a feeling this isn't right.

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 16Gb RAM, M.2 SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote