F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 20 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #191
Victory205

Yes. It flys like a real airplane. See landing tips paper.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #192
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Yes. It flys like a real airplane. See landing tips paper.
The following section is what I am having trouble following:

Using coordinated rudder and lateral stick, smoothly roll into a 25 degree angle of bank. You are looking for a slight rate of descent, about 150 fpm in order to arrive at the 90 heading at 450 MSL. This requires a very slight addition of power. Sometimes, simply trying to stay level results in the correct descent rate. Pitch attitude should be about a degree or less than level.

Trimmed on speed downwind, my pitch is about 10 degrees. The above states that in the approach turn, pitch attitude should be about a degree or less than level. Are you saying that in the approach turn, the nose will drop from 10 deg down the the horizon? What I am doing now is trying to keep the pitch at 10deg during the turn with aft stick input and I think that this is what I may be doing incorrectly.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #193
Victory205

The pilot needs to set the pitch and power for a slight rate of descent during the first 90 degrees of the turn. Make it do what you want it to do. Practice flying the turn before you try to land on the ship. Put a little focused work in and you'll figure it out.

Last edited by Victory205; 04-12-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Victory205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:34 AM   #194
METEOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
I bump the throttle up just a tad but as I start to bank, the nose drops a few degrees and the AoA indexer shows I am fast. I have to apply aft stick to bring the nose back to around 10 deg or so. During the turn I continually juggle pitch and throttle to remain on speed. Is the correct behavior or is my technique wrong?
Feels like dancing with the devil doesn't it?

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 16Gb RAM, M.2 SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:39 AM   #195
METEOP

On another note, I foud this very usefull :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...hlight=bankler

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 16Gb RAM, M.2 SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:31 AM   #196
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by METEOP View Post
Feels like dancing with the devil doesn't it?
That is indeed a very good description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by METEOP View Post
On another note, I foud this very usefull :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...hlight=bankler
I have seen this before but never tried it out because I have no problems flying the Hornet and landing consistently. I see the newly added Tomcat support so I may check it out to see what I am doing wrong. Although, I don't know how much useful feedback I would receive at this time because my issue right now is more of an inability to handle and properly control the Tomcat.

I have about 100 landings so far in the Tomcat and I am still a mess from the break onwards. Poor altitude control, difficulty getting on speed...once I do achieve stable 600 ft and on speed (from a 4 nm upwind) I lose it all again in the approach turn.

I don't know what it is about the Tomcat but it is just very challenging for me...more so than any flight sim aircraft...ever. I am not a real pilot and far from an expert at anything but I have been flight simming since the mid 80's and can't remember struggling as much as I am right now.

I suppose I just need a lot more stick time to get a feel for it.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #197
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
That is indeed a very good description.

I have seen this before but never tried it out because I have no problems flying the Hornet and landing consistently. I see the newly added Tomcat support so I may check it out to see what I am doing wrong. Although, I don't know how much useful feedback I would receive at this time because my issue right now is more of an inability to handle and properly control the Tomcat.

I have about 100 landings so far in the Tomcat and I am still a mess from the break onwards. Poor altitude control, difficulty getting on speed...once I do achieve stable 600 ft and on speed (from a 4 nm upwind) I lose it all again in the approach turn.

I don't know what it is about the Tomcat but it is just very challenging for me...more so than any flight sim aircraft...ever. I am not a real pilot and far from an expert at anything but I have been flight simming since the mid 80's and can't remember struggling as much as I am right now.

I suppose I just need a lot more stick time to get a feel for it.
Very challenging indeed.
The steep learning curve on the F-14 Tomcat shows the era she is from.
Flight systems and controls are different from what I have always been accustomed to in flight sim.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #198
viper2097

Did a few case 1 landings and yesterday my first Case 3 with turned off HUD. (Visibility was around 5nm). ICLS bars only on the VDI.
I think, in future I will turn on the HUD only for A-A engagement .

I love this aircraft so much. Especially, becaus it FLIES and needs to be flown.
Not just a "use the control stick to move the FPM on the HUD" tiddelitüdü thingi xD.

Seriously:
I recognized how the cat made me a better pilot.
Much more situational awareness and combining things then just stick with the eyes on the HUD. Much more feeling for an aircraft and what it intends to do when you do this or that.
After flying the cat now for ~20h pure airtime and with ~30 traps, I tried a Case1 again with the Hornet.
Did a 3 wire while I made some coffee...
System: i7-4790K@4.5GHz, 32GB Ram, Strix 1080 8GB, M.2 SSD, Win10Pro, 27" 1080p curved S27D590
Equipment: TrackIR 5 w/ Trackclip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, TFRP pedals
viper2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #199
Dino Might

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post
Did a few case 1 landings and yesterday my first Case 3 with turned off HUD. (Visibility was around 5nm). ICLS bars only on the VDI.

I love this aircraft so much. Especially, becaus it FLIES and needs to be flown.
Not just a "use the control stick to move the FPM on the HUD" tiddelitüdü thingi xD.

Seriously:
I recognized how the cat made me a better pilot.
Much more situational awareness and combining things then just stick with the eyes on the HUD. Much more feeling for an aircraft and what it intends to do when you do this or that.
After flying the cat now for ~20h pure airtime and with ~30 traps, I tried a Case1 again with the Hornet.
Did a 3 wire while I made some coffee...
It's fun when you start to really feel comfortable with the instrument scan and can pick off airspeed, alt, and descent rate in a quick glance.

The F5 was my best learning aircraft of the bunch, having to scan the instruments for things like bombing, flying a landing pattern, and dogfighting. It also got me used to gauging engines by fuel flow rate.
Dino Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:14 AM   #200
VampireNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Yes. It flys like a real airplane. ....
Really? This is the cockpit of a real air plane, and I am having difficulty locating the AOA indexer lights..

But seriously, I am actually a little sad it seems that so many people have never flown an actual aircraft without FBW/HUD in a sim (or IRL) before. This whole Tomcat control thing has taken the DCS world by storm lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post
Don't forget for A-G use either, which I believe is what the HUD was actually designed for mostly - weapons delivery. Is interesting that after a while all the crap on the HUD actually just starts to get in the way - don't forget about the Declutter switch for the HUD as well, very nice in A-G bombing to tidy up the pipper view.

Last edited by VampireNZ; 04-16-2019 at 02:20 AM.
VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote