F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 19 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 PM   #181
nicka117

Guys, just an FYI, you can fly a much more stable approach if you set up your throttle curves to get a proportional response in fuel flow. I was getting big spikes in fuel flow with small adjustments and that was creating some big problems in glideslope. I actually found that setting the throttle to slider and then going with negative curves gave me the best response between 3500 lbs and 6500 lbs per hour modulation. Made a huge difference.
nicka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #182
=BJM=

I am finding the throttle to be extremely sensitive as well. A few millimeters movement is what I am finding is needed and that is hard to achieve while landing or refueling.

Good tips here and thank you...do you have a screenshot of the throttle curves.

I have been going crazy with stick curves but never considered throttle curves.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:35 PM   #183
Wizard_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka117 View Post
Guys, just an FYI, you can fly a much more stable approach if you set up your throttle curves to get a proportional response in fuel flow. I was getting big spikes in fuel flow with small adjustments and that was creating some big problems in glideslope. I actually found that setting the throttle to slider and then going with negative curves gave me the best response between 3500 lbs and 6500 lbs per hour modulation. Made a huge difference.

What throttle do you have? I've got a warthog, I'll try that, I currently have it set to slider already but maybe the negative curve will help too.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #184
valrond

Quote:

Can you show us your curve, please?
valrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #185
nicka117

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
I am finding the throttle to be extremely sensitive as well. A few millimeters movement is what I am finding is needed and that is hard to achieve while landing or refueling.

Good tips here and thank you...do you have a screenshot of the throttle curves.

I have been going crazy with stick curves but never considered throttle curves.
hey sorry guys, forgot to get a screenshot last night but I currently have -15 on the curves for the throttle. I have to continue tinkering with it but it feels a lot better--and by that I mean that I can look down and control fuel flow very precisely with reasonable throttle movements, ie no FF spikes with tiny movements, but no huge movements needed to move fuel flow.

I think the key is to climb up to 2k and put the Tomcat into landing config and onspeed, and then pause out, tweek the curves a little, and then fly a couple simulated landing patterns, and pause out to tweak some more. You want to be able to fly level onspeed and then precisely control rate of decent in base turn, and then be able to transition to level wings 500-700 rate of decent in the groove.

Yes, I do have the warthog.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #186
valrond

Quote:
hey sorry guys, forgot to get a screenshot last night but I currently have -15 on the curves for the throttle. I have to continue tinkering with it but it feels a lot better--and by that I mean that I can look down and control fuel flow very precisely with reasonable throttle movements, ie no FF spikes with tiny movements, but no huge movements needed to move fuel flow.

I think the key is to climb up to 2k and put the Tomcat into landing config and onspeed, and then pause out, tweek the curves a little, and then fly a couple simulated landing patterns, and pause out to tweak some more. You want to be able to fly level onspeed and then precisely control rate of decent in base turn, and then be able to transition to level wings 500-700 rate of decent in the groove.

Thanks mate, I'll give it a try. I think it will be helpful for the Tomcat AND the F18, as I have to make very small movements to keep the FF from spiking.
valrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #187
nicka117

Quote:
Originally Posted by valrond View Post
Thanks mate, I'll give it a try. I think it will be helpful for the Tomcat AND the F18, as I have to make very small movements to keep the FF from spiking.
yeah, the F-14 was driving me crazy. I would just lean on the throttle and the Fuel Flow would shoot up 3000 lbs and then settle back down. Unworkable.

I've been playing with the f-18 curves too but its hard to tell with the RPM gauge vs looking at a fuel flow tape. I'm playing with -7 curves on the F-18 and it feels pretty good.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #188
=BJM=

Quote:

Thanks nicka! So just to confirm...that is negative 15 curves for the throttle, correct?

I might not be able to fly again until Monday but will try this out for sure! I have the X55 HOTAS but hopefully these curves will apply for me as well. I know negative curves have helped with pitch and roll.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #189
nicka117

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
Thanks nicka! So just to confirm...that is negative 15 curves for the throttle, correct?

I might not be able to fly again until Monday but will try this out for sure! I have the X55 HOTAS but hopefully these curves will apply for me as well. I know negative curves have helped with pitch and roll.
Yep, negative 15. I may at some point experiment with setting a custom user curve and report back.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:57 PM   #190
=BJM=

Quote:
Yep, negative 15. I may at some point experiment with setting a custom user curve and report back.
Just did a quick test while refueling and in the landing pattern and I really noticed an improvement in thrust control and stability. I will test further but so far so good! Thanks!

In regards to another issue I am having...is anyone having to apply a good bit of aft stick input in the approach turn to remain on speed?

I am 1.2 abeam the LSO platform, 600 ft, 15 deg AoA and on speed with a green donut. I begin my turn with left stick and slight left rudder. I bump the throttle up just a tad but as I start to bank, the nose drops a few degrees and the AoA indexer shows I am fast. I have to apply aft stick to bring the nose back to around 10 deg or so. During the turn I continually juggle pitch and throttle to remain on speed. Is the correct behavior or is my technique wrong?