Question on learning weapons - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
dburne
Veteran

Default Question on learning weapons

Hey gang,

So I have been determined to finally learn the Hornet, I want to get where I can fly combat and be somewhat proficient.
I have been using Chuck's excellent Guide, and so far have gotten through cold start, takeoff, landing, carrier takeoff and landing, and navigation - waypoints, ADF, and TACAN . Many hours put into this so far and feeling good about it.

So now I am ready to move on to weapons training. In looking at Chuck's Guide there appears to be many different types of weapons to learn here. Does one need to learn all of these, or are there a few maybe that get used the most that I could start with?

Any advice much appreciated!

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
fitness88
Veteran

Hey dburne...I started with dumb bombs then went on to JDAM/JSOW using the TPOD then the Maverick.
Have you spent time learning the very complex radar system and RWR along with the SCS and weapon designation? The best way is to go up with someone w/comms and you can cut the learning time down a lot!
Unfortunately I can't get people easily to fly 1 on 1 for that purpose...
fitness88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
dburne
Veteran

Ok thanks for the tip! No only have done what I had listed so far, so have the rest to go including radar system etc.
I am doing each section over and over though many times till I am quite comfortable with each one.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
Old 10-13-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
fitness88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post
Ok thanks for the tip! No only have done what I had listed so far, so have the rest to go including radar system etc.
I am doing each section over and over though many times till I am quite comfortable with each one.

I did and am still doing constant reference to Chuck's and the stock manual. Once you get the knowledge then you have to work on warfare tactics, SA and so on...
Remember the best/fastest way to learn is to fly and do trial and error testing with one other person.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:27 AM   #5
Supmua

There're plenty of great video tutorials on Youtube from Redkite, Jabbers, Spudknocker, Grim reapers, etc. Grim reapers alone put out some 54 tutorial videos on the Hornet. You could spend weeks if not months watching all these videos.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.
Supmua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:32 AM   #6
fitness88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
There're plenty of great video tutorials on Youtube from Redkite, Jabbers, Spudknocker, Grim reapers, etc. Grim reapers alone put out some 54 tutorial videos on the Hornet. You could spend weeks if not months watching all these videos.

Then you have to go and actually try doing it. I find with another pilot working radar for example back and forth tells you a lot quick.

By the way, would you know if it's possible to know which plane is locking you up when you see a group of planes?

Last edited by fitness88; 10-14-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #7
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness88 View Post
By the way, would you know if it's possible to know which plane is locking you up when you see a group of planes?
As I understand it on the RWR page the aircraft symbol will have a semi circle above its identity of its emitting radar, when it locks your aircraft up you get a semi circle below too. So identity say "18' for an F18 would have a bracket above AND below if it's locked you. Only one above if emitting but no lock.
i7-7820X, ASUS ROG Strix X229, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz, 11GB Nvidia Geforce 1080Ti, 1x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 1x 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2, Windows 10. VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Throttle, Saitek combat rudder pedals, Oculus Rift S and CV1.

.....................................................................................................................................................
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
Yes thanks, I have been watching some videos as well.
Mostly I am using Chuck's guide in the Kneeboard as I have some memory issues, which helps as I can easily reference parts of the task I am learning.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
CBStu

I am currently learning Sidewinders w/ JHMCS. I use a mission in the Persian Gulf map for AIM-9X for this. One thing I have noticed is when I read through Chucks guide there may be 10-12 steps. But when I do the mission it only takes 3-4 to get going. I don't know if the plane in the missions is somewhat preset or what but it's a welcome surprise. One problem w/ this mission is it is me against 4 Migs and they are not far away, so I have to do the setup really quickly or I end up w/ a couple behind me. I bet over the weekend I flew that mission 50-60 times. I hit left shift-R to restart and just keep trying. I also hit pause pretty often to go back to Chucks guide or Youtube check some detail.
CBStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
pokeraccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post
Yes thanks, I have been watching some videos as well.
Mostly I am using Chuck's guide in the Kneeboard as I have some memory issues, which helps as I can easily reference parts of the task I am learning.
Try to see if this Kneeboard Reference guide help you at least at this early learning stage, dealing with all the weapons systems.

I did that as a reference at the beginning of my journey in DCS and F18 and find it still useful in my KB, sometimes.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=247186

bye
pokeraccio is offline   Reply With Quote