BFM Defensive Tactics Discussion - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #11
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aquila* View Post
That said and assuming you endorse GGTharos's good advice, the question is now : what can your aircraft do better than the MiG-23? The answer is : turning. And the higher the AoA, the worse the MiG behaves. This assuming that you both have energy. Which is, IMHO, where you did bad. Your original post is all about leaking out and wasting energy: idle, high G turn ant then climb. In such conditions, even a human F-5 owns you.

Try this little training mission: you're face to face with a Flogger set to 'excellent', both angels 10, both having guns only. Keep him a bit on your right or left side until you merge, so he doesn't snipe you with his gun. Switch roll SAS off. Merge at Mach 0.9 and after crossing, turn hard to him. Just avoid blackout, which means you'll have to play between mil power and PC. Just do what you can to keep the bandit as long as possible just above your front canopy frame. You'll see how the MiG-23 leaks out its energy while turning, and how your F-14 doesn't. At a moment, you'll just need to put him in your HUD and shoot him down to avoid boredom
Interesting. I'll try this in a bit. I already have several 1v1 gun duel missions I've set, starting about 2nm apart, face to face, excellent rating, and about angels 6. I feel a bit sloppy at it but I can regularly shoot down mig21, F-5, M-2000C, and F/A-18C. I'll add one with the flogger and try it out.

I leave Roll SAS on, however. And I'm not using flaps because I don't think it's reasonable to practice something that is destructive to the aircraft. The tomcat deploys maneuver flaps automatically, deploying landing flaps and having them damaged in every fight seems like a bad habit to practice.

Edit: I out-turned him immediately after the merge and was on his 6 after the second merge. My understanding of some of the terminology is not great yet, I assume this was a one-circle. I turned right on the initial merge, and he turned turned left/up. We merged again with the angles in my favor so I turned left and came into his 6 and shot him down easily. The 21's AI is better at this sort of thing. So really I should have just kept turning horizontally in the situation in the OP.

Last edited by Relic; 10-13-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
*Aquila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
The tomcat deploys maneuver flaps automatically, deploying landing flaps and having them damaged in every fight seems like a bad habit to practice.
You can take advantage of the maneuver flaps by using them manually and that's why there's a HOTAS command wheel for this on the real plane. But of course, the use of the landing flaps for maneuvering is nonsense.
*Aquila* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #13
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aquila* View Post
You can take advantage of the maneuver flaps by using them manually and that's why there's a HOTAS command wheel for this on the real plane. But of course, the use of the landing flaps for maneuvering is nonsense.
Yeah yeah sorry, I do understand that the maneuever flaps can be used manually, though I personally don't know when to use them yet as they seem to deploy as needed.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #14
TLTeo

They do deploy automatically depending on Mach, wing sweep and AoA (I can't remember the exact conditions), but you also have the choice to do so manually.

Always do turn roll SAS off during air to air combat however. Keeping it on makes for a much more messy ride at high AoA, as the system is not designed to work in that regime.
TLTeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #15
Relic

Well I'll take your advice on the SAS roll and try to remember to disengage it. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #16
launchedsquid

helpfully the F-14's paddle switch will turn off your roll sas for you.
launchedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #17
fenderplayer946

The paddle switch will disengage roll and pitch SAS I believe.
fenderplayer946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #18
captain_dalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderplayer946 View Post
The paddle switch will disengage roll and pitch SAS I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by launchedsquid View Post
helpfully the F-14's paddle switch will turn off your roll sas for you.
Interesting, i didn't know this one!
How does it work, is it a toggle or press and hold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
They do deploy automatically depending on Mach, wing sweep and AoA (I can't remember the exact conditions), but you also have the choice to do so manually.
Have you used them in this way? What is your general impression? I tend to live them on AUTO and have only dropped the big ones manually when VERY slow over the top.
captain_dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:37 AM   #19
Viking_355th

It's a one-way toggle. The paddle disengages autopilot (if enabled) and physically flips the pitch and roll SAS switches. You have to flip those two switches up again to un-toggle, and autopilot won't work until you do.
Viking_355th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:45 AM   #20
javelina1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_355th View Post
It's a one-way toggle. The paddle disengages autopilot (if enabled) and physically flips the pitch and roll SAS switches. You have to flip those two switches up again to un-toggle, and autopilot won't work until you do.
Wow, glad I came across this thread. Did not know this. Will definitely check that out now. Great!

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 32 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, GTX1080SC, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Rift "S", Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PW Supply, PointCTRL
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote