Is F14 worth buying? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #41
westr

I don’t agree with the posts that the F18s F16s feel horrible to fly in comparison to the F14. I find the F18 really nice to fly, very stable and great pitch authority at low speed, the F16 as well, lethal in air to air and fun to fly. F14 is a different experience, in some ways it can feel a bit clumsy probably because it wings rock and it shudders, this is a testament to the developers and I take the words of the Tomcat flyers giving feedback on the flight model saying it’s really good.
But even though the F14 can maybe feel a bit more dated or lacking in FBW stability, I would in no way say it is out of its depth against more modern opposition, for me personally I have more success with the Tomcat in air combat in terms of enemies destroyed and survivability than any other aeroplane in DCS. I feel this is a combination of factors such as long range missiles, Great situational awareness with a RIO and datalink from awacs, great speed which can get you out of trouble, great range and levels of fuel enabling you to open the throttles when needed. It’s a competent aeroplane in my opinion.

RYZEN 7 2700X Running at 4.20 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti
32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz
Oculus CV1
westr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #42
*Aquila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by westr View Post
I don’t agree with the posts that the F18s F16s feel horrible to fly in comparison to the F14.
I agree. One should compare the feelings of the F-16 & F/A-18 with the one of the Mirage 2000. FBW planes are to be compared with FBW planes.

Quote:
for me personally I have more success with the Tomcat in air combat in terms of enemies destroyed and survivability than any other aeroplane in DCS. I feel this is a combination of factors such as long range missiles, Great situational awareness with a RIO and datalink from awacs, great speed which can get you out of trouble, great range and levels of fuel enabling you to open the throttles when needed. It’s a competent aeroplane in my opinion.
Same. Even when things come to a knife fight in a telephone booth. Which shouldn't happen but hell, let's have fun.
*Aquila* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:04 AM   #43
Bearfoot

Quote:
I don’t agree with the posts that the F18s F16s feel horrible to fly in comparison to the F14. I find the F18 really nice to fly ...
You have misread the posts. "Nice" not in terms of how well the plane flies. But rather how nice it is to fly in terms of fun/satisfaction. The F-18's (and to a larger extent?) the F-16's computer definitely flies the plane "nicely" for you, and probably a lot nicer for an new or beginner pilot, picking up a lot of slack and making up for shortcomings. But that is why it feels relatively antiseptic/on-rails compared to the F-14, and that is why it does not feel so satisfying.
Bearfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #44
*Aquila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfoot View Post
But rather how nice it is to fly in terms of fun/satisfaction. The F-18's (and to a larger extent?) the F-16's computer definitely flies the plane "nicely" for you, and probably a lot nicer for an new or beginner pilot, picking up a lot of slack and making up for shortcomings. But that is why it feels relatively antiseptic/on-rails compared to the F-14, and that is why it does not feel so satisfying.
Two different worlds... I've been flying the F-16 a huge lot with another simulator, "It Which Cannot Be Named Here". While being different, a bit less aseptic, the Hornet in DCS was an easy one for me. I've been flying warbirds as well, so even if I had to work, I felt good with the Tomcat. And now, believe it or not: I'm able to refuel a Tomcat or a Harrier without any problem, whatever the tanker, by night and day. But I became strictly unable to catch the freaking basket with the Hornet!
Old 10-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #45
Pikey
Veteran

When given the decision to either join the Hornet sqn in 132nd or begin the arduous task of creating a Tomcat sqn from scratch, writing all the training for Pilots and RIO's, the SOP and figuring out the interoperability in Air to Air between airframes and puzzling how the AIM-54 fitted in, I leapt at the chance to do the hard work and pick the Tomcat over the Hornet.

The challenge is just one part of the attraction. If things are always challenging, they hold my interest. I know I'll never master anything to do with the Tomcat and so I'll continue to be entertained.

I have no idea what it feels like to fly an F-14 Tomcat, but if someone said, which plane out of all of the DCS modules do you want to race like you stole it, I'd pick the Tomcat every time. The weight and inertia of the thing is conveyed through the simulation. The FBW's, I don't _hate_ them, I just think of them as tools that have a purpose, that I can use to fix a problem in a multiplayer mission. The Tomcat I think of as something I love and I want to make it work for everything I do in DCS. "Helicopter mission"? Right, can I take my Tomcat and flat spin it instead?

In multiplayer, having someone in the back seat to write down the 9 line or handle the ATC, discuss tactics or the weather, is amazing in DCS. A Wingman is cool, but a RIO is something else. I feel bad for the people that are unable to play it to it's full capacity in Multiplayer, it's just an amazing feeling every time. The Tomcat still has wow factor for me six months later. I understand people want XYZ, or to be the 'best', or to have it simple. It's actually easier to land than the FBW's, it's really stable, acts more like a plane that wants to fly, tells you when you are doing bad things. As for combat, if you have a good RIO with you, you have nothing to fear and the longest reach in the sim. For air to ground, it's a bit old, again, with a RIO and LANTIRN, you can achieve pinpoint targetting and testing CAS last night we could get a new mission and be hot on the next lap. And the fuel and vul times you can achieve are insane, we laugh at the Hornet pilots . It's the delightful mix of simple and complex, Hard and easy, old and new, best and best.
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #46
*Aquila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
It's the delightful mix of simple and complex, Hard and easy, old and new, best and best.
You, Sir, found the exact words!
Old 10-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #47
Harlikwin
Veteran

IMO, I think its currently the best module in DCS by a pretty long margin. I don't fly it a ton, mainly because I do A/G solo and for me that isn't its role, I'll certainly try it when jester can do lantrin things. Its fun as hell in A/A mode though.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #48
jester224

I love this aircraft because of the quality of the model. Not just the flight model which is fun but the whole package. The weathered and used cockpit, the rattling on the edge of the envelope. The wonderful noise and animation of the missiles. Jester and his little witty comments.
jester224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:03 AM   #49
6Gun

The 14 was out for an hour when it was released for Pre-Purchase. I bought it within the first hour. I have not been disappointed with the module. Needs some things working. It's not complete but, it released more complete than other modules i've spent money on.

WIN10-64 HOME I7-3820 3.6GHZ, 32GBDDR3, GTX1070ti, 1TSSD.
6Gun is offline   Reply With Quote