Is F14 worth buying? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
Mr_sukebe

Depends.
IMO it's not the most effective aircraft in game. It does have the depth of weapons systems that say the F18 does.
Making up for that it is probably the most charismatic aircraft with it's peculiarities, and to get the best from, requires genuine dedication to learn to fly well (not me by a long way I hasten to add).

Personally, I love it, and would happily recommend it to anyone.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #12
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoqumba View Post
I don't want to spend money on products that will be thrown aside because of new modules, because it's a bit wasteful.
I play SP exclusively and completed already 2 campaigns and a dozen missions so it already payed off. I'm still looking for more because of the fun I had. That means it's almost completed and totally combat mission ready for both a2a and a2g, carrier ops, dogfighting, aar... you name it.
Nothing prevents you from ditching it for a new module though, that's life. But even if you spend 10 hours in it - it will be worth every penny
Old 10-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
Top Jockey

Even though you mention you do not feel anything special for the F-14, you will soon realize it does have a special charisma.
I have many hours on several DCS aircraft... but none has the +40 hours I have logged in the Tomcat.

It's up to yourself to know if you have the minimum interest in the Tomcat - in that case I can HIGHLY recommend you buy it.
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO
O.S: Win 7, 64 bit

FC 3 , MiG-21 Bis , F/A-18 C , F-14 B
Caucasus , Nevada
Top Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
viper2097

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
I play SP exclusively ...
You need to give it a try in MP with multicrew. There the cat really starts to shine...
Old 10-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post
You need to give it a try in MP with multicrew. There the cat really starts to shine...
As much as I want it currently I play mostly at night with my kid sleeping in the room, so I have to keep quiet

OP: Don't you think it'd be a bit biased to ask such question in the module subforum?

Last edited by draconus; 10-11-2019 at 11:09 AM.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #16
*Aquila*

Quote:
OP: Don't you think it'd be a bit biased to ask such question in the module subforum?
I own a few modules I'd strongly advise not to buy if you ask the question in their subforum
*Aquila* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #17
TOViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2097 View Post

100% true
| CSL | i7 6700 @ 4.0 GHz | GTX 1070 8GB | 24GB 2666MHz DDR4 | 256 GB SDD + 1 TB HDD | CH 568 Combatstick USB | Win7 Professional 64-Bit | <<< pretty slow grafix this is meanwhile ... oh, and btw: I am using Oculus Rift CV1
TOViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #18
Relic

Quote:
As much as I want it currently I play mostly at night with my kid sleeping in the room, so I have to keep quiet

Same. Except my kids are in the next room. Also, I want to upgrade my computer some more before hopping online
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #19
westr

Without a shadow of a doubt. And if you’re like me and have loved the Tomcat since a child it’s essential. There are some things that need sorting, I’m finding the experience in VR is not immersive enough because of not having the Virtial pilot. But was relieved to hear it’s coming to the Viggen soon so it will eventually work it’s way to the F14.
As an aircraft in the sim I find it extremely effective as an all round fighter. With BVR you put you enemy on the back foot with you’re Phoenix missiles if you don’t take them all with the Phoenix you have a situational advantage because of their resulting defensive tactics and I often find I’m able to take down remaining enemies with the sparrow. And if it does come to the merge the Tomcat is still effective particularly if you’re light. I’ve been successful against Mig23s flankers Mig 29s and F16s, although I have to say i find it’s tough in the merge against the F16 and Mig29. The attention to detail will be apparent if you buy this module, you would see the extreme effort they put into making it. The jester RIO makes it unique and a different DCS experience, I view it as a WIP still but I still love it and am happy to support the team in buying it. Once fully complete it will probably become the best of all the modules in my opinion.

Even if you have no particular interest in the F14 you only have to look at it externally. It’s one beautiful beast it looks awesome and it is so fast.

RYZEN 7 2700X Running at 4.20 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti
32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz
Oculus CV1

Last edited by westr; 10-11-2019 at 12:20 PM.
westr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #20
uri_ba

Answer is naturally all subjective.

However,
1. As far as the level of execution of this module - it's the best you can imagine.
2. is it fun to fly? - yes, very much. it's a wild bronco. it's just so alive and fun, but very challenging to master.
3. depending on what you do in SP, it can be very fun even with the limited JESTER you have today. (I.e "Cage the bear" campaign is wonderful).
4. in MP you have even more challanges as you can get a human RIO (or a human pilot) and really really have fun.. Landing on a carrier with a buddy is an experience for the RIO. especially in VR.

5. if you fly VR - This module is almost a must, it's really really immersive. (unless you are biased towards pilot body like westr up there )
uri_ba is offline   Reply With Quote