Wishlist: fix the default pilot position like the DCS F-16 Viper

OttoPus

Yeah, to be clear you should adjust the seat and view until you just barely see the top of the uppermost HUD frame. From this view, the two nuts on this frame forward and aft should line up with each other so they are essentially stacked on top of each other.

Habu

Got it. I'll give it a try.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Tip regarding seat possition in VR.

Hold down Right Shift and Right ctrl and use the 1-9 numeric keyboard to move your possition..

This work quite good, BUT if you recenter the view during flight you end up

back in the old possition.

( it would be nice if the above adjustment became the new default vr view and the game remember your last known possition or at least do so during an entire flight so you can reset the vr view back to the one you manualy selected ).

You can save the position once you find it. Then it will return to the one you manually selected when you recenter. You just have to physically be in the same position you were in when you start the sim. Have a look at this old post of mine. The key combo to save the position is at the bottom. You can do this same procedure with all the aircraft modules you own, and they will all start up with you sitting in the position you saved.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3620449&postcount=19

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yeah, to be clear you should adjust the seat and view until you just barely see the top of the uppermost HUD frame. From this view, the two nuts on this frame forward and aft should line up with each other so they are essentially stacked on top of each other.

Habu

Tried it last night, and saw the same thing Lobo did. The top 1/3 of the HUD is no longer visible after doing that. With my view position set where I usually have it, I can see the whole HUD without leaning forward or hunching down.

In the real thing, what does that longer screw on the left side of the HUD do? It almost seems like that might be an adjustment screw to change the angle of the glass panels in the HUD to adjust for pilot/seat height.

This issue, in VR at least, is caused by the simple fact that the HUD information does not scale up or down as you get closer or further away from it. It stays the same size and as the rest of the cockpit is scaled correctly, when you move closer to the HUD, the HUD information effectively has more space to be projected on and, conversely, when you move further back, there is less space and the HUD information effectively gets "cropped" at the bottom and top.

I wonder if this is a result of the fact that the HUD information, particularly targeting brackets, has to perfectly align with objects in the real world, so it has been drawn on a distant plane, in the background, rather than in the foreground, like the rest of the cockpit graphics.

Either way, the fact that it has been an issue for so long and that it has yet to be fixed, wouldn't fill me with that much optimism of it being fixed as part of the upcoming cockpit improvements. We can live in hope i suppose.

Edit: Just been flying the F16 and the HUD information behaves in exactly the same way, but it has far more space and enough to not be cropped, even with the pilot back in their seat. Maybe the data projected on the A10c HUD is just being drawn too big?

Edited by Greyman

This issue, in VR at least, is caused by the simple fact that the HUD information does not scale up or down as you get closer or further away from it. It stays the same size and as the rest of the cockpit is scaled correctly, when you move closer to the HUD, the HUD information effectively has more space to be projected on and, conversely, when you move further back, there is less space and the HUD information effectively gets "cropped" at the bottom and top.

I wonder if this is a result of the fact that the HUD information, particularly targeting brackets, has to perfectly align with objects in the real world, so it has been drawn on a distant plane, in the background, rather than in the foreground, like the rest of the cockpit graphics.

Either way, the fact that it has been an issue for so long and that it has yet to be fixed, wouldn't fill me with that much optimism of it being fixed as part of the upcoming cockpit improvements. We can live in hope i suppose.

Edit: Just been flying the F16 and the HUD information behaves in exactly the same way, but it has far more space and enough to not be cropped, even with the pilot back in their seat. Maybe the data projected on the A10c HUD is just being drawn too big?

Maybe, they can share the fix for the F-16 with the A-10, this really needs some attention, hopefully, soon.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

No fix will come until new a10 pit is released same with issues in ka50 pit and lights and such. Check Russian forums.

Is there a specific mention to default position and hud for the new A-10C in the russian forum? Can you please link the post?

Maybe, they can share the fix for the F-16 with the A-10, this really needs some attention, hopefully, soon.

I haven't tested any more, but i suspect that all aircraft have HUD information that doesn't scale. If that is correct then there just isn't enough room for all of the information, at its current size, in the space available on the A10c, unless the pilot is sat on top of the stick. So to solve the issue, without messing up every other aircraft, would probably mean that the size of the information would need to be reduced.

We'll see in the not too distant future, if it gets fixed i guess.

On VR you can easily adjust your position, being so close was really awfull. You just go Forward, and the push the "Recenter VR" button, they should add something like that for people without VR, that works in very module, not just this one.

yup, i remember those days of sitting on top of the stick and being able to see the whole HUD, but when ED moved the pilot position back, although it did put you into a more realistic seating position, the top and/or bottom of the HUD got cropped, for the reasons discussed above.

moving your position has become a compromise and i remain to be convinced that this situation would be realistic. why would the R/L cockpit designers go to the trouble of presenting all of that information on the HUD and then not making to easily visible to the pilot? especially when the pilot is likely to have their hands full with staying alive and the mission objectives.

For the sake of having in in this thread, the procedure to save head position is as follows:

1. Bind control UI | 'VR Center' to something you can reach without moving your head (I use the ENTER/RETURN key on my keyboard.

2. Ensure 'User Snap View Saving' is enabled in main settings.

3. Ensure head position is centered with the above key.

a. Ensure your head stays centered for this whole process.

4. Adjust head position with the keyboard.

a. Do not press any 'snap view' keys (RAlt + Numpad #'s)

b. Keyboard combinations for translation are RCtrl RShft + Numpad #'s

5. Center view again, just to be sure.

6. Press RAlt+Numpad 0 to save the current view as default.

a. remember that it is saving the 'center' of the VR world space, not where you're head actually is at that moment. i.e. if you save the view, then lean to the right in VR (or trackir for that matter) without touching the camera control commands, then save again, nothing will change.

I did this for all the modules I own when I upgraded to the O+, and it took about 5 minutes.

It's worth the time to open the mission editor and create a mission file with all the aircraft you own set to CLIENT | RAMPSTART, so you can quickly jump from one to the next without a long loading time.

there is a thread on the Russian forum which explains why the HUD does not scale. as i think i said, it is something to do with the HUD being effectively projected well off into the distance. either way however, it doesn't explain why they can't set the image to a size where it will fit within the HUD frame, regardless of how far back the pilot is sitting in the cockpit. the image should not be truncated.

• 3 weeks later...
there is a thread on the Russian forum which explains why the HUD does not scale. as i think i said, it is something to do with the HUD being effectively projected well off into the distance. either way however, it doesn't explain why they can't set the image to a size where it will fit within the HUD frame, regardless of how far back the pilot is sitting in the cockpit. the image should not be truncated.

+1:thumbup:

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Normal imagery say with writing on a piece of paper you bring the paper closer the paper and the writing get bigger in angular size. That is because the distance from your eye to paper and eye to writing are the same. HUD works differently. HUD image is collimated. The HUD frame is a few feet away but HUD image is however thousands and thousands of feet away. Movement within the cockpit does not meaningfully change the distance to the image nor its angular size.

Imagine you are 20' away from a 1' wide window. Beyond this window 30 miles away is a big mountain. At 20' away this window only lets you see a small part of the mountain. If you walk forward to 10' away you see twice as much of the mountain. The mountain hasn't gotten bigger either physically or in angular size. What's new is that your window is bigger (in angle) because you are closer to it. This is the correct way to think about HUD glass and HUD image. The glass may be within arm's reach but the image is very far away. The HUD frame is your window to look at the glowing green symbol-filled distant scene.

The TVV symbol on the A-10 HUD is a certain size (in angle). Normally it easy fits onto the HUD glass. If you move the eye away from the HUD glass the glass gets smaller in angle which is normal behavior of objects. However TVV size remains constant in angle at any distance. At some distance perhaps 30' away from the HUD glass the TVV symbol itself will be larger than the entire HUD. The TVV hasn't "gotten big" instead the HUD has "gotten small."

A-10 HUD imagery has defined angular positions and sizes. It can't be scaled. Something which is 5 mils wide is always 5 mils wide. If the entire HUD scene takes up 10% or 900% of the available display capability that cannot be helped. The image should absolutely be truncated in some situations.

That is correct, but why can't the size of that HUD information be reduced so that it fits within the available "frame". It would be fixed at that size and although the frame would be larger than the image, when you lean/move in, it would not be clipped when you move back to the more realistic position. The other aircraft manage it, so why can't the A10c?

That is correct, but why can't the size of that HUD information be reduced so that it fits within the available "frame". It would be fixed at that size and although the frame would be larger than the image, when you lean/move in, it would not be clipped when you move back to the more realistic position. The other aircraft manage it, so why can't the A10c?

This was developed way back when and with no VR in mind. I think it will be updated for screen and VR with the new update (Latest tech F/A-18 etc).

It was originally set and developed for this specific set training view perhaps?

attachment.php?attachmentid=170812&d=1508281211

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hey what virtual squadron is that, their training set-ups are far out!

Very serious, maybe too serious...:lol::lol:

You're probably aware of it, but for historic awareness:

The above image has been circulating for ages. To the best of my knowledge, it shows students of the Air National Guard (not sure which state, though) using the A-10C Desktop Simulator developed by Eagle Dynamics. This very Desktop Simulator was then turned into the consumer product DCS A-10C as we know it today under a contract between Eagle Dynamics and the ANG, requiring Eagle Dynamics to simplify, remove or change some of the systems for the consumer version and limiting ED to a specific set of features of the A-10C (the so called Suite 3; upgraded RL A-10C aircraft are currently fielding Suite 8, if memory serves, and so far ED never, ever commented on creating a consumer product of such a more modern suite. I keep repeating that I would pay full price for such an upgrade, though, to let the powers that be know that there is a market for it :D)

Then again, I've heard of LAN parties that look a lot like that. Just that the virtual pilot's pits look a lot more impressive than the ANG's training gear. ;)