new player questions

Gwalker99

Skip the masses, get the module you think you will enjoy. For instance, if you are into helicopters, get a RW module (Ka-50, Mi-8, etc). If you look for CAS only, go for the A-10. Something faster? Harrier, for instance. If you want a fighter, start by something like the Mirage. The ultimate module, for capabilities, weapons and different experience (CV ops) is probably the Hornet (some core functions are still WIP).

The F-14 is an amazing module, you will spend some hundreds hours learning the FM as a pilot but eventually you're going to need a human RIO to reach the peak of this module.

RIO-wise, the manual has all the info you need to start, the rest is practice, especially offline.

The manual also links some of Jabbers' videos. If you want more videos, Spiceman (CVW-11 IIRC) has done a long and in-depth overview video about the backseat. RedKite has done some as well.I did some tests and basic things about the RIO too, feel free to check them.

Google definitely provides many more sources on the matter.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

ok.. I mean like did everybody buy the map modules etc?

I did..... well....except for Normandy. That one kinda seamed way too period specific. But for most online play you don't need anything but the Caucasus. It's by far the most used map on the most populated servers. :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

The map modules are nice to haves, rather than required - unless there is a particular mission, campaign or server you wish to fly.

The Persian Gulf is nice but there are more Red Flag missions/campaigns for the older Nevada map (Note: I haven't counted how the numbers stack for the F-14).

95% of my flying is done on the Caucasus map, YMMV.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

No, not at all. I have the maps but I flew the Ka-50 from 2008 to 2019, right until the early access of the F-14. I have a couple more modules though, I bought them on discount/pre-sale (the F/A-18C for instance is the ultimate module: it does everything basically, CV included). I bought BS1 on day-1, then the upgrade and than BS2. That's basically the same module for 11 years.

My point is: don't waste your money. It take months (years if you totally new to flying) to learn a module very well, unless you can invest an incredible amount of time in it (and wife/sons/work usually prevent that).

The avionics has tons of secondary features that the guides online usually won't tell you that can be real game changers during a mission (therefore start with the manual, read it a few times). As well as minor details of the flight model that allow you to push a little bit further a break a stall, win a dogfight or save your virtual skin. So take your time, don't rush, enjoy learning and studying :)

Maps are a different topic. I have all of them, all but PG bought them on sale. Normandy, I was a backer, so I got 2 modules, asset pack, map for 40$ or 50$.

You can do everything on the free, base map. It good and offers different scenarios, from the sea to very high peaks. Unless your friends constantly fly in a different map, don't bother for now and save money for a decent HOTAS/TrackIR/VR/whatever you prefer. If you really want to get a map, PG is the best in terms of size and popularity.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack