Is the Tiger getting a cockpit facelift?

Mizzy

It needs one. Last I checked, there is no blue (metallic) channel. There is also no normal map. I don't believe work on the diffuse is that needed, other than removing baked shadows

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Is it ?

Not planned atm as far as I know. ED is currently bussy with updating the Ka-50, followed by the A-10C.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Even if people spruce up the roughmet, the cockpit won't look up to par without a normal map though. I had considered making a cockpit mod for the Tiger, but when I came to realize I can't add a normal, I dropped it. That part is in ED's hands

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Not sure if it really needs one.I use to love the F5, but at some point it got worse and worse and I just gave up. Seeing the history, I would say that they should ether a) fix the plane, or b) if they fixed it, not touching it again.

Edited by Cotoi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 5820K, 32GB DDR4, 3x250GB SSD RAID0, nVidia GTX 1080, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, Virpil WarBird base with Thrustmaster Warthog grip, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals - 2484.

Not sure if it really needs one.I use to love the F5, but at some point it got worse and worse and I just gave up. Seeing the history, I would say that they should ether a) fix the plane, or b) if they fixed it, not touching it again.

Hi I am interested in the module is it still broken now ?

Thanks Jamie.

Thanks Jamie.

i'm not under the impression that it is broken, but since i don't fly her very often maybe also consider other opinions.

there are some inaccuracies with radar and rwr, but this is by no means game breaking.

the cockpit looks "ok" i would say. the newer modules look definitely better, but it's neither broken nor offending.

It works, it just doesn't look as good as the more modern modules. Plus as Kev2go has pointed out in other threads its a bit of mix-master F5.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Graphically the whole module needs a touch up. Textures in particular

Graphically the whole module needs a touch up. Textures in particular

If only we could have higher quality normal/AO maps for both interior and exterior, that would be great.

Diffuse and rough/met maps could easily be done by community members, even in 4K. But normal and AO require access to the max model to be rendered if i'm not mistaken.

(oh, and the radar please ;))

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

There isn't a DCS module that couldn't use some love, but whatever warts the DCS F-5E has, it is still my go-to DCS plane. Over time, I have flown it more and more. If the F-4E is ever released, I will surely shift my preference, as the Phantom II is my all-time favorite airplane. The F-14B and F/A-18C are absolutely amazing, but too modern for me. The 1960s/1970s jets are my favorites and the F-5E still has that analog feel while having the simplicity of early digital systems. It is easier to fly and fight in the F-5E than anything before or after it. The P-51 and F-86 are more complex in terms of engine management and the F-14 and F/A-18 are way more complex in terms of cockpit switches/MFD menus. The F-5E is right at the sweet spot between analog complexity and digital complexity. The only aircraft that might be better would be the F-15A and F-16A which would have similar analog/digital complexity, but would have the insane turn performance and thrust-to-weight of modern fighters.

Note: I fly VR about 75% of the time since getting the Rift S (previously about 50% with the original Rift), so I generally don't see the huge improvements in graphics between older and newer aircraft unless I fly with my 4K 49-inch monitor, therefore the F-5 cockpit doesn't really look all that bad to me compared to other newer cockpits.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If only we could have higher quality normal/AO maps for both interior and exterior, that would be great.

Diffuse and rough/met maps could easily be done by community members, even in 4K. But normal and AO require access to the max model to be rendered if i'm not mistaken.

(oh, and the radar please ;))

The Tiger's cockpit was a project I had considered undertaking, but upon learning there are no normals, I decided to do other things.

And ambient occlusion is included with the roughmet/PBR maps, as the red channel

In all honesty the F5E needs more than just a cockpit refresh of textures or lighting......

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=247412

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

And getting the basics right would be great too which means, being able to fly IFR with an artificial horizon that's still indicating the correct pitch attitude after e.g. a touch & go.

A F-5 that has the identical performance in a head and in a tailwind.

Despite all these shortcomings it's still the airplane I'm flying almost exclusively in DCS and I'm enjoying it a lot.:)

Since this is pure manual flying, I even doubt that the FWB F-16 will change this.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

And ambient occlusion is included with the roughmet/PBR maps, as the red channel

Not for the exterior model, still using specular last time I checked.

And the unofficial roughmet patch red channel is based off the specular textures (instead of "shadows" included in the texture template) ;)

I tried updating the normals for exterior while doing a 4k retex of some swiss skins, but quickly gave up.

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

Thanks Jamie.

sorry for late reply.

I didn't fly it for over a year now, but since the bugs were kind of big, (one of the wheels would not come down, radar controls were not working and so on) my guess is they fixed it. Also since I don't see people talking about these or any big issues, makes me guess that is indeed the case. other then that, it is a simple and fun to fly, go for it.

Edited by Cotoi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 5820K, 32GB DDR4, 3x250GB SSD RAID0, nVidia GTX 1080, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, Virpil WarBird base with Thrustmaster Warthog grip, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals - 2484.

sorry for late reply.

I didn't fly it for over a year now, but since the bugs were kind of big, (one of the wheels would not come down, radar controls were not working and so on) my guess is they fixed it. Also since I don't see people talking about these or any big issues, makes me guess that is indeed the case. other then that, it is a simple and fun to fly, go for it.

I think you quoted the wrong person