Mig 15 slow flight trim - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
KalAbaddon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 87
Default Mig 15 slow flight trim

I find that when I am in slow flight I can not trim the plan enough nose up to keep level without significant back pressure on stick ( Trim is working, I can adjust it fine at faster speeds, and my engine power is up so nothing is turn off because of idle. and I can see the trim level move) It just seems out of its range for slow flight. This was with the smallest drop tanks on. and flying for a few mins.

I was flying ~ 250 kph.

Is this an issue that crept in or can the mig not trim for slow flight? or does it need to be low fuel before I can trim for slow flight? Will try that next.

was full flaps and gear down. Also this is about trim limits.

Last edited by KalAbaddon; 04-24-2019 at 09:35 AM.
KalAbaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
KalAbaddon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 87
Default

Ok lower the fuel to 30 percent and no tanks and now I can maintain level flight trimmed at slow speed of ~270(still cant hit 250 and keep level.) and that again is full trim nose up, should it be so close?

to compare and contrast I can get the Sabre to trim in level flight full flaps and wheels down at ~130 kts and have nose up trim to SPARE.

so just checking to see if maybe the MiG is supposed to have such a small effective trim?

Last edited by KalAbaddon; 04-24-2019 at 09:30 AM.
KalAbaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalAbaddon View Post
Ok lower the fuel to 30 percent and no tanks and now I can maintain level flight trimmed at slow speed of ~270(still cant hit 250 and keep level.) and that again is full trim nose up, should it be so close?

to compare and contrast I can get the Sabre to trim in level flight full flaps and wheels down at ~130 kts and have nose up trim to SPARE.

so just checking to see if maybe the MiG is supposed to have such a small effective trim?
i can tell only one thing sabre =/ mig 15
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
KalAbaddon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 87
Default

only put it there to compare and contrast not cause I expect the mig to be the same aircraft or modeled identically. I did kinda expect that in general most aircraft would allow you to trim straight and level for slow flight. main question is if MiG-15 is supposed to have such a limited trim range I guess.
KalAbaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalAbaddon View Post
only put it there to compare and contrast not cause I expect the mig to be the same aircraft or modeled identically. I did kinda expect that in general most aircraft would allow you to trim straight and level for slow flight. main question is if MiG-15 is supposed to have such a limited trim range I guess.
those are designe features of plane and those are based on fligh traditions of the country of origin of the plane so you will expect difrences in handling of the planes from difrent countries.

why you want fly slow try flying fast try flying 0.9mach at SL then you will complain about lack of triming and you can find this feature in mig-29 and su-27 they all tend to pitch up at high speeds
btw 250kph is way too slow for mig-15at this speed if you bank airplane it will stall hard

Last edited by grafspee; 04-24-2019 at 02:10 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
KalAbaddon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
those are designe features of plane and those are based on fligh traditions of the country of origin of the plane so you will expect difrences in handling of the planes from difrent countries.

why you want fly slow try flying fast try flying 0.9mach at SL then you will complain about lack of triming and you can find this feature in mig-29 and su-27 they all tend to pitch up at high speeds
btw 250kph is way too slow for mig-15at this speed if you bank airplane it will stall hard
Well I was asking to get an official or at least solid answer. Not a one liner telling me mig is different then sabre, which is not an answer but just comes across as combative and insulting imho(na fam Of course they are both made by GE right?). Then couple more sentences that while less aggressive gave me bad info to make a point, telling me all rus craft cant trim at near .9 mach to nose level when they can, and also telling me I shouldn't fly the way I want to which is also not an answer?

so I tested and the su27 and mig29 both can trim nose level at near mach, the mig 29 has a brief moment of getting close, but the mach tuck fixes that as it get closer to mach one and passes it. and aircraft would be expected to be harder to trim for straight and level if you are flying near the mach limit. be above it or below it, not at it. I would test slow flight in those 2 aircraft as well but I have very limited interest currently in flying and learning them.

Anyways I was reading more of the manual and it seems that 250-270 is more for final glidescope. so while it works for slow flight in that it fits the criteria for being called slow flight. It might also be considered outside the performance envelope, in which case it makes more sense to not be able to trim for level flight at that speed.

Regardless I would still like to hear an official answer because I am interested in it and why the craft was designed that way if it is correct behaviour.
KalAbaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
AeriaGloria
Senior Member
 
AeriaGloria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: LA
Posts: 1,872
Default

Do not fly a level approach. Go below 300kmh when your nose is pointed down at the runway using full flaps. It should be more stable in a nose down attitude.
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
grafspee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalAbaddon View Post
Well I was asking to get an official or at least solid answer. Not a one liner telling me mig is different then sabre, which is not an answer but just comes across as combative and insulting imho(na fam Of course they are both made by GE right?). Then couple more sentences that while less aggressive gave me bad info to make a point, telling me all rus craft cant trim at near .9 mach to nose level when they can, and also telling me I shouldn't fly the way I want to which is also not an answer?

so I tested and the su27 and mig29 both can trim nose level at near mach, the mig 29 has a brief moment of getting close, but the mach tuck fixes that as it get closer to mach one and passes it. and aircraft would be expected to be harder to trim for straight and level if you are flying near the mach limit. be above it or below it, not at it. I would test slow flight in those 2 aircraft as well but I have very limited interest currently in flying and learning them.

Anyways I was reading more of the manual and it seems that 250-270 is more for final glidescope. so while it works for slow flight in that it fits the criteria for being called slow flight. It might also be considered outside the performance envelope, in which case it makes more sense to not be able to trim for level flight at that speed.

Regardless I would still like to hear an official answer because I am interested in it and why the craft was designed that way if it is correct behaviour.
i didnt say that i said that they all have pitch up tendency while accelerating
insulting answer ?? it was joke right ??
i was shocked from where you took need of trimed flight at 250kph in mig-15 thats all. 250kph is very close to touch down speed
answer is preaty simple becouse trim mechanism has limit and you hit this limit at low speeds why they did like that ask mig's designers
in mig-29 problem is whne you change speed a lot if you are trimed for near mach and slow down to 400kph.

Last edited by grafspee; 04-25-2019 at 07:06 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #9
AeriaGloria
Senior Member
 
AeriaGloria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: LA
Posts: 1,872
Default

If you have a FFB stick trim won’t work perfect either in the flankers
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
KalAbaddon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
i didnt say that i said that they all have pitch up tendency while accelerating
insulting answer ?? it was joke right ??
i was shocked from where you took need of trimed flight at 250kph in mig-15 thats all. 250kph is very close to touch down speed
answer is preaty simple becouse trim mechanism has limit and you hit this limit at low speeds why they did like that ask mig's designers
in mig-29 problem is whne you change speed a lot if you are trimed for near mach and slow down to 400kph.

If it is an insult or not is in the receivers opinion. I am glad you "ment it as a joke" but it's the rare insult where the person does not try to pass it off as a joke, I believe you meant it as a joke, but that does not change the fact that it was not wanted or appreciated.

Also Glad you are shocked at what I do for fun in the game.

If we are talking about trim limits ands how they affect trimming level for slow flight, what was the point then of bring up the fact that other aircraft nose up at high speed? the only connection I made was that you meant it had trim limits issues in both direction, but that was not the case, so what does pitch up tendencies at speed of different aircraft have anything to do with what I asked? especially when you end the sentence bring them up with "then you will complain about lack of trim" .

Slow flight is right before stall speed, I was not stalling at 250kph so therefore it is slow flight.

I didn't even start by assuming anything was wrong. I ASKED the question better understand why it is acting that way.

So lets get to the bottom of it then, are you telling me you are 100% sure all russian jets follow a philosophy of "we do not trim for slow flight speed"? are you a pilot of a mig 15? or are you just responding on this thread to defend it with your "assumptions" of russian aircraft design?

I got a question for you then, what is your motivation for replying, you are not answering what I am asking but instead bringing up a whole bunch of stuff only partially related to my question at best. and also attacking my premise by making light of waht I want to do in game.

You know what. why not just dont reply any more in this topic. you are doing nothing but getting me agitated and I already got IRL issue with health from stress issues.

I asked a question about trim limits, you answered by making fun of me for wanting to fly one way, acting like I didn't know the difference between sabre and mig15, bring up red herring points about completely different era planes not even in same flight attitude and having nothing to do with trim even tho you said it was about trim. then act like like I shouldn't of made that connection. but never once gave a solid other then I assume it so reason for it being the way it is. so it seems you also have no idea if it is correct....

Last edited by KalAbaddon; 04-25-2019 at 08:00 PM.
KalAbaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:52 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.