What will Jester do with the Lantirn? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
IronMike
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
But holding the bank angle is not sophisticated at all. Even if it was, I would be happy, if Iceman could at least hold the position of my joystick and throttle when I go back to the RIO seat.
Actually I do not care if Jester could control the lantirn some day. He even struggles to lock enemy on the radar, so I do not have much faith in him working the lantirn. All I want are simple but helpful features for Iceman and Jester that are currently missing.

We might implement an orbit function for Iceman, but no promises. Anything beyond that would mean starting to develop a new AI, which is outside of our capabilities atm.

As for Jester - improvements will come, but the reason for him losing lock often is mostly the lack of TWS Auto, which we are still working on. Players then often maneuver the bandit out of the cone, which does not update with the new aspect. If the bandit is kept within parameters, he does not lose lock (also it is not Jester, but the radar that loses lock). That said we of course understand his current limitations and have them in mind concerning his further evolution.

As for Lantirn, it is still a bit early to say, but work progresses on it. We will have a bigger update for you, once it is closer to completion.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
Tiramisu

Thank you for your respond Ironmike! Once the AI issues are gone, I will be very satisfied with this module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
We might implement an orbit function for Iceman, but no promises. Anything beyond that would mean starting to develop a new AI, which is outside of our capabilities atm.
Actually it would suffice to add in a mode for Iceman, in which he keeps all settings of the cockpit the last time the player left it.
E.g. if Iceman would not change the autopilot settings, then the player could simply use the orbit function of the built in autopilot, before he goes to the RIO seat to use the Lantirn himself.
Or when you are in a turnfight, this mode would let Iceman keep the player's stick and throttle setting in order to sustain that turn, while you are able to go back to the RIO seat for a few seconds.
Btw. you could call that mode the Freeze-Mode. It would go well with Iceman's name.

Quote:
As for Jester - improvements will come, but the reason for him losing lock often is mostly the lack of TWS Auto, which we are still working on. Players then often maneuver the bandit out of the cone, which does not update with the new aspect. If the bandit is kept within parameters, he does not lose lock (also it is not Jester, but the radar that loses lock). That said we of course understand his current limitations and have them in mind concerning his further evolution.
I was not referring to Jester's ability keeping a lock. I meant the problem, that Jester is often not able to lock targets by himself when you order him to do so. The reason for this problem is probably, that in the moment you tell Jester to lock something, he checks if there is any contact on his radar or else he fails to do so, even when a contact appears just a few seconds later.

I suggest that instead there should be a lock mode, in which Jester is constantly looking for contacts and locks them up until he got a bandit. Then the player would not have to give the lock command over and over again until Jester finally locks something.

Last edited by Tiramisu; 07-17-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #13
ebabil
Veteran

It will cause a new form of CTD

Youtube
Z390 / i5 9400F / Gtx1070 / 16 GB Ram / 500 gb SSD and 1 tb HDD // CH Fighterstick - MS FFB2 - TM Warthog Throttle - CH Pro Pedals - TrackIR 4
ebabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
DoctorDigital

Any status update on this?

Would really be great if Jester could do some ground target lock and lasing. Maybe with the option to switch to "next target" or "previous target" or something like that. Or even selecting the highest value target by himself.
DoctorDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
Yeti42

Quote:
As for Jester - improvements will come, but the reason for him losing lock often is mostly the lack of TWS Auto, which we are still working on. Players then often maneuver the bandit out of the cone, which does not update with the new aspect. If the bandit is kept within parameters, he does not lose lock (also it is not Jester, but the radar that loses lock).
F14 is great, best module out there IMHO but... Jester allows the radar to loose lock frequently when there is no manoeuvring going on, obviously, this is because the bandit moves out of the current cone. A Real RIO would adjust radar elevation/Azimuth etc to keep lock but Jester does not appear to do this on all occasions.

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4
Yeti42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #16
VFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDigital View Post
Any status update on this?

Would really be great if Jester could do some ground target lock and lasing. Maybe with the option to switch to "next target" or "previous target" or something like that. Or even selecting the highest value target by himself.
Quote:
Jester LANTIRN
This feature is rapidly nearing completion, and we are now in the final phase of its development. We will make a separate update on this feature before release. This has been a very challenging task, but we believe we’ve found a good way to make JESTER operate the LANTIRN both quite independently, but also at the pilot’s command and disposal. Weaving this functionality together in an immersive and realistic way has been integral to our efforts.

One core component to this effort has been to make a new human emulation system for the way JESTER will actually utilize the LANTIRN controls. This includes simulating the way a human would search an area and avoiding any sort of robotic jankiness. This has proven to be a challenging endeavour. Search patterns that make sense and feel authentic have been developed as part of this effort.

Certainly, communication with JESTER is key to achieve your goals. The player will be able to tell JESTER to look at either a Waypoint, coordinates or a map marker, and command the area and size of the area to search in. You will be able to instruct JESTER to e.g. prioritize SAMs or armor or ships - and much more. All in all, we hope we’ve found an appropriately immersive and functional way to integrate JESTER Lantirn, and we hope you’ll enjoy this feature once it launches. Currently, the last remaining items are to record the remaining voice lines required for this and run the feature through a few final cycles of testing.
From here:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251618
VFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #17
DoctorDigital

Thanks! I appreciate the answer!
DoctorDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #18
Bearfoot

They have stated they will look into improving Iceman a little -- e.g. giving him (or her) orbit capability.

Last edited by Bearfoot; 10-11-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Bearfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #19
MobiSev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfoot View Post
They have stated they will look into improving Iceman a little -- e.g. giving him (or her) orbit capability.
"her"? i'm pretty sure its a guy lol

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B
MobiSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #20
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiSev View Post
"her"? i'm pretty sure its a guy lol
how dare you

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote