How do I make my TAD cursor the SPI? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Oceansize

Default How do I make my TAD cursor the SPI?

I've got the process of slaving all to where my TGP is pointing down pat, but I am not having the same luck slaving all to where my TAD cursor is pointing. When my _TGP_ is SOI and is in 'Point' mode, I direct it to my target, then hold TMS forward (long) to make it my SPI, then hold China Hat forward (long) to slave all to my SPI. Works like a charm.

However, when my _TAD_ is SOI instead of the TGP and I want to slave all to my TAD cursor, I would have thought the process is the same: put the tad cursor over the spot you want to make SPI (such as JTAC's red diamond 'attack' cursor), then hold TMS forward (long) and then hold China Hat forward (long). You'd think my gbu's or mav's would now be slaved to this point, but they never are.

Am I missing something? I still am kind of dim when it comes to using the 'Mark' or 'Hook' functions and am curious if this has something to do with my TAD targeting frustrations. Basically what I'm trying to do is quickly and easily slave my TGP or weapons to the red diamond 'attack' cursor that I get from JTAC after correct 9-line readback. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ocean

Last edited by Oceansize; 05-29-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Oceansize

Thanks Nikola. To be clear, is what you're describing called 'hook'ing? I see that pressing the TMS up (short) while in TAD mode is the 'hook' function. I still don't know what 'hook'ing means or is for (in the context of this simulation, that is!!!) :-D
Oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
nemises

"Hook" means to select an Object on the TAD.

However, in order to "hook" an object, there must be one there in teh first place!
Valid objects to hook are:
- Aircraft symbols
- Steerpoint symbols
- transmitted SPI symbols (mini wedding cakes)
-Bullseye symbols
- and , most importantly for you, MARK symbols

Try this,
-Set the TAD as SOI, and slew the cursor to where you are interested.
- set the TAD display to "Mark" display mode (func+8 I think on the UFC...it'll say "mark" on the correct UFC button anyway)
- press TMS-Right_Short , and it will drop a "MARK" symbol on the TAD...this can now be selected as a steerpoint, or made a SPI, to which you can slew your Mav , TGP and HUD designator to.

Good luck!
nemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
PlainSight

Another VERY useful thing is using the EXP mode. In this mode, the map is fixed to the cursor, not the plane, so you can hook stuff more easily. You can also browse the map by moving the cursor.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
mooshim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemises View Post
"Hook" means to select an Object on the TAD.

Try this,
-Set the TAD as SOI, and slew the cursor to where you are interested.
- set the TAD display to "Mark" display mode (func+8 I think on the UFC...it'll say "mark" on the correct UFC button anyway)
- press TMS-Right_Short , and it will drop a "MARK" symbol on the TAD...this can now be selected as a steerpoint, or made a SPI, to which you can slew your Mav , TGP and HUD designator to.

Good luck!
Been flying for months... never knew that.

Really helpful,

Thanks Nemesis...

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570
"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"
mooshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
DAZnBLAST

Watch this guys tutorial, what this dude don't know ain't worth considering!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTIguQdI4ZI
Old 11-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
P*Funk

Basically what people are saying is that its a pretty stupid limitation of this otherwise powerful software that you can't use the map cursor to direct the rest of your sensors.

Considering the plethora of options available just for the Hook-To function it seems odd that you couldn't just slave SPI to the TAD cursor when you can do it with the TGP and the MAV (which is a much less useful function as sensor).

It has obvious benefits to do this since if you knew for instance that something was on a road and you wanted to scan it with your TGP you could just slave the TGP, slew across the road or whatever and get a faster track to it. This is solved kind of with a Markpoint but still, its not that helpful if you want to just do a bit of visual reconnaissance.

In the end though if we ever get a block upgrade to our represented A-10 in the sim (unlikely) one day we'd get the Head Mounted Display system which I imagine will let you do all kinds of cool stuff with SPI.

However, what we seem to have right now is still plenty powerful, just sometimes you wish there was just one more thing.
P*Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
lubey

What you can do is just slew around the TGP, and look at it's diamond on the TAD. But yeah it is a bit weird if you're looking behind you because down and up slewing would be reversed.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Dejjvid

Well, the "limitation" is not really a limitation at all.

TMS RIGHT SHORT
TMS UP SHORT
TMS UP LONG

Take 1.5 seconds, and you get rewarded with a mark point.

http://www.132virtualwing.org

HOTAS Warthog mod tutorial
Dejjvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
cercata

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZnBLAST View Post
Watch this guys tutorial, what this dude don't know ain't worth considering!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTIguQdI4ZI
30 mins watching things I already knew, at a very slow pace, and when he arrives on how to handle mark points, it makes on 1 min, he doesn't even say how to cycle between them, he you says you can do it and he does it ...

And after that even worst, he doesn't even click on the UFC so we can see the cursor, he uses mapped buttons, so he has the TArget in the TGP like by magic ... wasted time that video.

Last edited by cercata; 10-13-2019 at 02:57 PM.
cercata is online now   Reply With Quote