South Atlantic Theatre aircraft and equipment. - Page 16 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #151
Harlikwin
Veteran

Its a good question. I basically look at it like this and this is only a guess but its what I'd do if I were running their company. They have a bunch of 3d guys, of course they will mostly work on the upcoming planes, but what about when those are mostly done? Then you either move them to the next plane or move them off to build stuff for south atlantic until they need to fix something on the hi-fi planes. Or maybe they get bored, and the south atlantic project lets them build something than highly detailed undercarriage all day long.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #152
Richard Dastardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Its a good question. I basically look at it like this and this is only a guess but its what I'd do if I were running their company. They have a bunch of 3d guys, of course they will mostly work on the upcoming planes, but what about when those are mostly done? Then you either move them to the next plane or move them off to build stuff for south atlantic until they need to fix something on the hi-fi planes. Or maybe they get bored, and the south atlantic project lets them build something than highly detailed undercarriage all day long.
Or someone came along with some skills & enthusiasm for the conflict & they thought "hey this is a great idea", and they took it on board. Game DLC is an incredibly fluid environment - I've done contract code work for the original dev house & three different addon-producers for one title, meanwhile all of them were looking around at publishing other people with a solid idea & some concrete work / skills.

The stumbling blocks aren't usually artists, they can work on their own if they're briefed as to how to set up models, even systems work is somewhat independent although at that point you're interfacing with the base - it's the people who have the detailed knowledge of the base who tend to be in short supply, so FM work & pointing out that the fancy system design that got proposed isn't going to work, etc.

I always smile when people say "stop making new stuff & fix bugs!" - do you really want a 3d artist fixing your code?

RAZBAM - please find someone who wants to make helicopters
Old 09-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #153
Harlikwin
Veteran

Agreed on that. Their 3D to coder ratio seems skewed from what I can tell, or their 3D guys just work faster. Hence give them some "additional" stuff to work on other than new modules.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #154
Dusty44

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
NATO war stocks? I thought they were supplied directly from the USA bilaterally. That's at least what the harrier squadron commander aboard the HMS Invincible Nigel "Sharkey" Ward said in his book "Sea Harrier over the Falklands". There was no word on NATO war stocks.
Picked up this magazine at airport to take on my holiday and it had and article covering just that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	217158   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	217159   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	44