Data Link Range

MBot

I noticed that while an E-2 will detect a bomber at over 300 NM and make respective radio calls, it will only submit it via data link once the target is about 150 NM from itself (target distance from AWACS, not Tomcat). Is there a reason why farther out targets are not received via DL?

I'd also like to know why there is a discrepancy between the range difference between when the AWACS apparently detects a contact, and when it is transmitted to receivers on the net.

Also, is there a place where the maximum range of the system in game is documented?

Great question!

+1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

BRA calls are from bullseye if you ask for a picture. In case of bogey dope they're directly related from your ownship.

The point is, they give you BRA calls which means they see things on their dish - but you won't get them via DL unless you get close enough to the AWACS itself even though you can get the info already via comms.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

You mean BRA calls? If so they are from bullseye .

No. That is not the question. What he means is, AWACS can detect an enemy at 300 miles as it is showing up on a tactical commander view, but it does not show up on link 4a data link until that same enemy is less than 150 miles from the AWACS.

BRA calls are from bullseye if you ask for a picture. In case of bogey dope they're directly related from your ownship.

The point is, they give you BRA calls which means they see things on their dish - but you won't get them via DL unless you get close enough to the AWACS itself even though you can get the info already via comms.

DL radios should have more range than audio under almost all conditions. IRL at least.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 11 months later...