F-18 Cockpit Zoom bug

Using the latest version, when I try to zoom in using default * key or zoom out using /, the zoom will always automatically return to neutral zoom, not staying zoomed. This doesn't happen to external view zoom. If I press and hold zoom-in or out, the screen will flicker. Is this a known issue?

Thanks

Actually, if I disconnect my Hotas Warthog, the problem goes away. So it does seem like the X,Y axis is bound to zoom in/out. However, when I look at the control setting in DCS, I only see keyboard * and / assigned to zoom in/out. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

erase your saved games/config folder

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Actually, if I disconnect my Hotas Warthog, the problem goes away. So it does seem like the X,Y axis is bound to zoom in/out. However, when I look at the control setting in DCS, I only see keyboard * and / assigned to zoom in/out. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Sounds like you may have already done this, but I'd suggest...

Go to Options -> Controls -> F/A-18C Sim and then select Axis Commands from the dropdown. DCS World handles analog axes differently to digital inputs.

Scroll to the bottom and make sure that Zoom In/Out only has keyboard assignments. You won't be able to check this unless you're looking at the Axis Commands page. The axis info is hidden even if you're looking at the All page.

Hope that's helpful. Apologies if that's all old info to you, though.

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I'm sure the problem is caused by the default mapping defined in the file "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.diff.lua" under "...\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input". This file has an entry that assigns Zoom to the slider axis on the TM WH throttle. This is the entry:

["a2012cdnil"] = {
           ["added"] = {
               [1] = {
                   ["key"] = "JOY_SLIDER1",
               },
           },
           ["name"] = "Zoom View",
       },

You can check that theory by moving the slider forward and backward. It should change your zoom.

Personally I find this a good solution, certainly better than using the keys "*" and "/". But if you don't want the slider to control the zoom you need to clear that binding under Options/Controls. Click on the button "Assign Axes" in the bottom and review all the axis bindings, and remove any unwanted ones.

PS: do not try to modify the file "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.diff.lua" with an editor!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the TM Warthog throttle using the grey lever just right of the throttles as a zoom. I couldn't figure out what to use it for so asked here. 3-4 responded to use it for zoom so I do.

I don't like using the slider. You have to take your hand off the throttle to use it. Not good when your holding on speed to land.

I prefer two buttons. That works perfect for me and no need to remove either hand from HOTAS.

Buzz