SEAD Platform

Tiger-II

Does anyone else think the Tomcat would have excelled at the SEAD role?

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

With enough money in the upgrades - easily. All in all, the dedicated weasel aircraft in USAF were F-105 and F-4.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yes it is. It can make SAMs' launch lots of missiles by deploying TALD decoys. Eventually they run out of missiles and become sitting ducks

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Actually they just shut the radar off. They're not congenitally stupid.

Dou you mean in real life? becasue in game, they spray the sam missiles

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I thought by the verbiage used in the author's opening post that we were talking about real life.

I think it would have. Two sets of eyes better than one, and back then you needed a guy back then to do all of the detection work and getting weapons onto targets. I think once the availability of tech to support one man ops, like say the later versions of Viper that does this mission as a single seater, it would have gone the way of Weasel IV/V.

what you guys arent remembering is that they picked sead platforms based on how willing they were to lose them

the f-100 was the first wild weasel airframe because they were already second string aircraft behind the f-4. later on, old f-4s got the job.

then f-16s drew the straw, not strike eagles.

• 1 month later...

What HARM could it do?

I'll see myself out... ;)

F14B

AV8B N/A

F-15C

A-10A

Black Shark 2.0

NTTR, PG

X55 Rhino

FreeTrackNOIR, .

i7 6700k, 16GB, GeForce GTX 970

"A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round and reciprocating parts going up and down - all of them trying to become random in motion."

Funny exchange, that. Enjoyed it quite a bit!!

These kinds of exchanges are quite STANDARD here.

(lame attempt)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Ah the puns :)

F14B

AV8B N/A

F-15C

A-10A

Black Shark 2.0

NTTR, PG

X55 Rhino

FreeTrackNOIR, .

i7 6700k, 16GB, GeForce GTX 970

"A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round and reciprocating parts going up and down - all of them trying to become random in motion."

There is a very specific reason different aircraft and different squadrons perform a given mission...and it's not based on how willing anyone is to lose an aircraft because losing an aircraft implies you are willing to lose the CREW and that is NEVER part of the planning process.

Money.

Every squadron has a wartime mission and the funds allotted for training are based on that mission. The F-14 might have made a great sead platform...but it would have required additional funding to train the crews and maintain currency in performing the sead role. And then there is the problem that time and money spent training on sead weapons and procedures would take away from their primary mission which was fleet defense.

Same holds true with Aircraft like the F-16...a Guard Squadron with an Air Defense wartime role spends more time flying Air combat Training missions than it does Air to Mud delivery and vice versa...A Squadron with a SEAD mission spend far more time training for that than Air Defense.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Ahh. Real world vs DCS... What have come to...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).