What about FOUR Sidewinders??

Rick50

Ok so for some reason, I seemed to have a fuzzy memory on this, but I had been under the impression that at least one airforce had on occasion mounted FOUR sidewinders on the F-5 at some point, instead of the usual two. Meaning, two extras carried under the wing on pylons.

But just now, having not seen this in very long time, decided to check pictures from Google image search, and not one of them had more than the standard two on the wingtips. So I thought "ok I must be remembering this wrong". Yet a look at the Wiki page for the F-5 suggests it can carry 4 Sidewinders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5#Specifications_(F-5E_Tiger_II)

So now i'm confused. I know this was not common if it's real, but... is it true? Did any of them have wiring to have two extra rails on lower pylons?

I know that some CF-5's had wingtip tanks, they were sorta shaped like an old glass Coke bottle, maybe us Canucks sometimes carried 'Winders on rails because the wingtips had fuel??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CF-5

On another subject, is it possible to add the air refueling probe added as a option? I know it was fixed, meaning it did not fold out of the way, and most users did not use this, but considering the range limitations, and that some users might want more fuel for longer strike missions, maybe this might be a worthwhile addon? I'm not sure, maybe the probe was unique to CF-5's only...

• Like 1

This has been gone over in the past. F-5E carried only 2 sidewinders. Since they've modelled the E version don't expect features from other variants. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

...is it possible to add the air refueling probe added as a option? I know it was fixed, meaning it did not fold out of the way, and most users did not use this, but considering the range limitations, and that some users might want more fuel for longer strike missions, maybe this might be a worthwhile addon? I'm not sure, maybe the probe was unique to CF-5's only...

Several countries modified the E to carry the Python3 on the outboard pylons. Normally not used together with the AIM-9. Some sort of helmet mounted system too, but was not a Northrop mod. I do not remember seeing the E with 4xAIM-9. Would be a pig for dogfighting with 4xAAM too.

Fuel probe, several export customers had it. Was asked for before, IIRC official response was "thinking about it but will be difficult". Data exists, it might be that the work is too much for the project to be considered financially viable. My #1 request for the F-5 though.

Problem is, for some reason, they decided to simulated a training version for the F-5E. Even de real Sidewinders and guns are unrealistic since this version is meant to carry only simulated weapons to act as "agressors" in Red Flag and other exercises against Phantoms and F-15´s.

Edited by Kongamato
  • Like 1

Problem is, for some reason, they decided to simulated a training version for the F-5E. Even de real Sidewinders and guns are unrealistic since this version is meant to carry only simulated weapons to act as "agressors" in Red Flag and other exercises against Phantoms and F-15´s.

Not exactly correct.

Not exactly correct.

I have better things to do than spend time googling the specifications of the international users of the version F-5E-3, but I know that most of the international users of the F-5E Tiger II have modified the plane to have INS, ILS, 2 COM radios, inflight refueling and other improvements. And USAF, USMC and NAVY only used this version of the plane as trainer.

…but the fact of the matter remains that the -3 model can fit 2× AIM-9 and comes equipped with 2× M-39. It is not a modified version that can fit anything else. Just because the end users only used it as a trainer, and mostly loaded it with training munitions, does not mean that its capabilities change.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Remember all. The actual version has on aggressor F-5E, no a export model. No changes in the module and now has develop "closed". No another post "make my a dream version".

Sure, I get that. But you will notice that the only request I asked for was POSSIBLY the refuel probe, which I didn't realize was model specific. Notice that the discussion of 'heaters was only ASKING for more INFORMATION. I figured the makers of the Tiger module know what they are doing, and would not make such a simple mistake. But I was looking for clarification about whether ANY F-5's, not just the Tiger 2, not just the E model, not just units in American service, but ANY F-5's ever carried more than two rails.

Thank you all for the information! :thumbup: :joystick: