How complete is the Hornet module

sackman

There's a reason ED is "taking it slow" with Hornet. It's attention to details. It's a complicated system (like most other 4 gen fighter jets) and I'd rather they do it "slow" and right and not quick and wrong.

I'd be pretty leery of using the "detail" argument. Lots of stuff is not modled right or at all. Esp with GPS guided munitions at the moment. And sensors.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the answer is about 20%. Still can't even do simple basic functions like entering grid coordinates. Can't dim the MPCD map background without a mod. HOTAS is unreliable and underutilized. No FACQ/AACQ fixes. Still can't step L&S with undesignate. Can't swap the SA and HSI pages with HOTAS. Can't pull up default master mode pages with the castle switch. Still don't have TWS or SCAN/RAID, WACQ, or AZ/EL.

I really don't think now is the right time to be working on things like Harpoon or Walleye but maybe that's just me.

Personally I am a bit disappointed that we have to pay $79 for a Hornet module that has only a tiny dev team working on it.<snip>...

Best $79 I ever spent. I was more than happy to do so because at that price this caliber of flight sim is a killer deal.

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

The plane is very capable even at its current state. It's strike capabilities even without all weapons having all attack modes available. There is also more than enough systems to keep you busy learning. Learning to land on a carrier using proper pattern and consistency could take up a lot of time alone.

It is good for air to air but not as capable against multiple targets as the F-15C yet since it's TWS is still in development. However, it does have the SA page with datalinked information that trumps what the current F-15C in game is capable of. So there are ups and downs. For BFM it is very capable and currently would be my choice for a dogfight.

Overall, the plane is extremely fun to have. And it will only get better as development continues. After reading comments I can say that bugs do get fixed. However, because it is in development, adding new features can break other features. But I'd rather have a jet in early access than waiting for an additional 1-2 years without getting to fly it around trying its capabilities out as they get developed.

I hope the answer is about 20%. Still can't even do simple basic functions like entering grid coordinates. Can't dim the MPCD map background without a mod. HOTAS is unreliable and underutilized. No FACQ/AACQ fixes. Still can't step L&S with undesignate. Can't swap the SA and HSI pages with HOTAS. Can't pull up default master mode pages with the castle switch. Still don't have TWS or SCAN/RAID, WACQ, or AZ/EL.

I really don't think now is the right time to be working on things like Harpoon or Walleye but maybe that's just me.

It is not just you. I can assure you of that.

• ED Team

So while the more complicated systems which are taking longer and bug fixes are being implemented you think all other work should just stop?

This is not how it works, team members can not just be sat around waiting for other work to be completed, work must continue.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Personally I am a bit disappointed that we have to pay $79 for a Hornet module that has only a tiny dev team working on it. I'm sure they are working very hard but I mean, no wonder things are taking so long...

...But you just made that "tiny dev team" sh*t up - you have absolutely no idea how many people are working on the Hornet at any given time, where the bottlenecks are, and/or the expected timeframe for development.

I'll give you that if E.D. were more forthcoming then people wouldn't have to make up fantasy schedules, air them, then get everyone pessimistic about the dates pulled out of people's buts, but really - your statement is based only on you own imagination.

Cheers.

So while the more complicated systems which are taking longer and bug fixes are being implemented you think all other work should just stop?

And that's OK except for the fact that those guys that should be dealing with more complicated systems apparently are working on the Viper right now.

That's the appreciation that we have from outside

60€ it costed the preorder phase, almost cheaper than AAA PC game titles.

But.... Getting hundreds of hours out from the module, far more fun per hour etc... Nothing comes easily close in pc games.

But compared to other modules? It is all up to who likes on what aircrafts.

I am thinking that I will have more fun with up coming MoG-23MLA than with hornet, but that is me and interested to get challenged with "inferior" aircraft.

But that is the problem in DCS that hinders whole simulator, lack of GCI, realistic radar, weather, ground units etc etc.

Is hornet worth the money at this phase? Yes... Even more than previously before we had TGP, harpoon etc etc.

And lots of small thing are to come.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team
And that's OK except for the fact that those guys that should be dealing with more complicated systems apparently are working on the Viper right now.

That's the appreciation that we have from outside

And how would you know who is working on what products? Sure you can guess, make assumptions but you would be wrong.

Different teams working on different projects. Only cross over will be with art / Model work but those team members always work on the next project as the previous model / art work wraps up.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

And how would you know who is working on what products? Sure you can guess, make assumptions but you would be wrong.

Different teams working on different projects. Only cross over will be with art / Model work but those team members always work on the next project as the previous model / art work wraps up.

It isn’t possible to know how many people are in hornet team ? this will reassure us i think

• ED Team

I will ask if we can share more detail about the team, but I can not promise anything.

BIGNEWY,

I think that WAGS done an excellent job so far to communicate the status of the development. With that said, a few month back he would post what every eng was dealing with. It was very interesting and gave us as costumers a really good sense of progress and what to expect to. If possible - please return updating us this way. It's AWESOME and answer a LOT of questions.

Thanks!

P.S

Congrats on joining the ED team. Your answers quantity, quality and speed of response is very appreciated!

• ED Team
BIGNEWY,

I think that WAGS done an excellent job so far to communicate the status of the development. With that said, a few month back he would post what every eng was dealing with. It was very interesting and gave us as costumers a really good sense of progress and what to expect to. If possible - please return updating us this way. It's AWESOME and answer a LOT of questions.

Thanks!

P.S

Congrats on joining the ED team. Your answers quantity, quality and speed of response is very appreciated!

Thanks for the kind words nickos86 :)

Why it takes so long for completing F-18

I have been flying F-18 for over a year, but why it's still not fully functional, update comes up piece by piece like it never ends, this really affects me not to buy F-16, and I am not going to buy another jet with only flyable function and then just fly and land,its a merchandise , and if you sell it, it's gonna be working as it should be when we pay for it, at lease not to take so long to complete it, this business is not normal.

Because software development is complicated and takes time.

Because staff do not work 24/7, they need holiday, time off etc.

Because you are impatient and unable to comprehend what Early Access is.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Remember when it was released as an Early Access product? Come on buddy this is getting old.

The answer is to wait until a module is announced as completed before you buy it/use it. Don't complain about it while its EA.

Also you may want to read Fridays newsletter as ED addresses this directly.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

OK, understood, this is so encouraging not to buy EA.

Yes, dont buy EA and use finished aircrafts only, like the A-10C .. while the rest of us go around on our Hornets, learning the new weapon systems as they came along, I actually enjoy being able to learn the aircraft gradually :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team
I have been flying F-18 for over a year, but why it's still not fully functional, update comes up piece by piece like it never ends, this really affects me not to buy F-16, and I am not going to buy another jet with only flyable function and then just fly and land,its a merchandise , and if you sell it, it's gonna be working as it should be when we pay for it, at lease not to take so long to complete it, this business is not normal.

OK, understood, this is so encouraging not to buy EA.

Early Access is exactly what it says, early access to the product while it is in development.

Why does it take so long?

Because it is complex and takes hard work and developer time to complete.

Early Access is not for everyone, if you don't like to wait or be part of the development process it is best to wait until the product is feature complete.

Thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

It's also worth noting that they are getting into some of the meatier systems in the Hornet. Some of which are brand new systems to DCS. With the way DCS operates, it's crucial to get these things right, as they will likely be the foundation that is built upon for the foreseeable future.