F-15 new flight model is utterly superb!

atsmith6

Like some I chose to wait for the 1.2.8 release before trying the new F-15 flight model. This may have been due to the fact that the old flight models were way too artificial and so, in effect and given the highly simplified cockpit, I suppose I'd effectively written off FC3. The Consider I like study sims and am over-critical of flight models for context. Suspension of disbelief is a critical factor for me.

That said, with all the hype about the new flight model, I decided to install FC3 again mostly out of curiosity. Nothing could have prepared me for the first flight!

I can comformtably say that whoever implemented this model has done a most outstanding job. This is quite simply the most convincing experience of simulated jet flight that I've experienced on a desktop sim. It completely grabbed me and drew me in and I have subsequently spend a significant amount of time just flying touch and goes with different loadouts from light to heavy and have found no end of joy. Transitioning into and out of the region of reverse command is something I can tangibly feel on approach and I that's but one of the many highlights.

It's fair to say that the flight experience is such a significant step forward that despite my prejudice toward simplified cockpit functionality the FC3 F-15 is going to become a regular airplane for me now.

If they add an equivalent model to the SU-33, well, I can't believe I - off all people - am excited about a potential future FC3 upgrade!

I realise that programmers and engineers don't see 95% of what's written on forums but if someone at Eagle Dynamics reads this please forward a link to this post to the person or persons who did the actual implementation. They really deserve to know just how fantastic a job they have done. I personally feel that this new flight model is one of the best and most convincing I've ever experienced.

Kind Regards

• Like 1

What is "region of reverse command" mean?

Where you need less power to fly at a higher airspeed or more power and a lower airspeed in order to maintain stable altitude.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Well, I did the dance with the wife, and purchased the stand-alone module. Landed about yay short of the runway...what did I do wrong? :P Have ta agree the flight modeling. As soon as the wheels were off the ground you could feel this bad boy required your attention. It's not get up and enjoy the scenery like the A-10C. Thumbs waay up!

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Yes, AFM rocks! Thank you ED!

BTW, ED are you ready? Because (take a deep breath):

When do we get AFM for Su-27?

When do we get AFM for MiG-29?

When do we get AFM for Su-33?

When do we get AWM (Advanced Walking Model) for MANPADS and ground troops?

When do we get to walk out of the cockpit without having to eject?

When do we get a bar simulator (at an airbase) with all the drinks and stuff?

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

When do we get a bar simulator (at an airbase) with all the drinks and stuff?

:D

Good question, as it stands, the bar simulation system (henceforth BSS) is a little known feature that has been implemented since release. It is compatible with a wide range of alcoholic beverages*, and accounts for body mass, liver capacity, and blood content.

Feel the rush, as your head spins after too many beers.

Take the risk, that you would have not taken if you were sober.

See the beauty, of a world coated in Reelpuke. Watch the most realistic puke simulation ever created, as your lunch flows down your canopy, blinding you to the outside world.

*Product does not include the price of alcohol, must be 21 years of age or older to purchase in the United States.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

What's with all the fuss with F-15C being difficult to land etc? I landed on my third try, and this with having to constantly reaching down at the stick base to fiddle with throttle. :P

attachment.php?attachmentid=97311&stc=1&d=1398329419

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Noticed something new about the new F-15C model today. I was flying inverted for 2-3 minutes, and as soon as I went from mil thrust to full afterburner, both engines died on me. I managed to restart the right engine but it was too late. :(

I still don't understand what happened. Fuel starvation or compressor stall maybe?

:megalol:

Good question, as it stands, the bar simulation system (henceforth BSS) is a little known feature that has been implemented since release. It is compatible with a wide range of alcoholic beverages*, and accounts for body mass, liver capacity, and blood content.

Feel the rush, as your head spins after too many beers.

Take the risk, that you would have not taken if you were sober.

See the beauty, of a world coated in Reelpuke. Watch the most realistic puke simulation ever created, as your lunch flows down your canopy, blinding you to the outside world.

*Product does not include the price of alcohol, must be 21 years of age or older to purchase in the United States.

Noticed something new about the new F-15C model today. I was flying inverted for 2-3 minutes, and as soon as I went from mil thrust to full afterburner, both engines died on me. I managed to restart the right engine but it was too late. :(

I still don't understand what happened. Fuel starvation or compressor stall maybe?

I also experienced engine failure when climbing vertical and rolling at the same time, both died and was not restartable.

Where you need less power to fly at a higher airspeed or more power and a lower airspeed in order to maintain stable altitude.

In which altitude(s) for which speed(s) does this work? Are there any charts or data for that? Maybe a simple explanation (wikipedia will do it) of this phenomenon? :helpsmilie:

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In which altitude(s) for which speed(s) does this work? Are there any charts or data for that? Maybe a simple explanation (wikipedia will do it) of this phenomenon? :helpsmilie:

Usually for very low speeds. It is caused by induced drag.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

"Negative G flight is limited to 7 seconds at all power settings" - TO 1F-15A-1

So, basically if I perform the manoeuvre shown below I will be kissing the other guy 7 seconds after establishing "communication" ? :huh:

TG+2.jpg

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Bar simulator Jhaaa :D

I don't need a simulator for that... In fact I much prefer the real thing :D

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

kind regards,

Fire

In order to maintain a constant velocity at a constant altitude, your thrust needs to equal out your total drag. Total drag is a sum of parasitic drag and induced drag.

Parasitic drag is a result of the airplane "cutting" through the air and it increases with velocity squared. The faster you go, the more parasitic drag you have.

Induced drag is a result of generating lift and increases when velocity drops. At lower speeds, when you need to pull more AoA to get enough lift to stay in the air, you'll be generating more induced drag.

At high speeds, the total drag will increase with velocity (parasitic drag will increase faster than induced drag will drop). But at low speeds, the change of induced drag will be faster than that of parasitic drag, and your total drag will decrease as speed goes up.

This is mostly a consideration when landing (or flying at landing speeds for some other reasons). Throughout most of the flight, you're in the "high speed" region of the flight envelope. So if you want to slow down, you pull the power a little, airspeed drops and drag drops with it, until it's again equal to the new thrust, and the speed stabilises. But at some point during landing you'll go into the "slow speeds" part of the envelope. Then if you want to slow down, you should pull power, let the airspeed drop, then add power again beyond what you had in the beginning to equal out the increased drag. If you fail to do that, airspeed will continue to drop and drag will continue to increase, until at some point you won't have enough steam in your engines to recover without trading altitude for speed.

Edited by lmp

To keep it simple - probably )

Actually considering that scene is descibed as the "Mig" doing a negative 4g pushover, the tomcat was in supposedly 4G inverted dive that I suppose could theoretically keep the fuel flowing. If you manage to get in that position in under 7 seconds and surprise them, their immediate response is likely going to be forward stick.

Having never flown an F-15 myself, I can't comment on how realistically it handles like an F-15, but as a pilot, I can say that it handles more like an airplane than it used to. For one thing, it seems to depart controlled flight a lot more easily and realistically at high AoA. This is apparent as discussed above in that you have to be more mindful of your speed/AoA when landing, but more importantly, when in high AoA combat maneuvers. More than a few times I've yanked on the stick when a missile pops up on the RWR and been rewarded with an accelerated stall and it felt like I might have gone into a spin if I didn't relax pressure. Not sure if ED have said spins are possible, but either way, it's forced me to be a better pilot in the sim, which is probably a good thing.

Captain Bruce ex f15 driver;

"The f15 is extremely difficult to spin and very forgiving if you just let go of it. We had a problem years ago with maintenance doing outside patches on the ray-domes fiberglass. In short the patches were causing a difference in pressure at high AOA, at the furthest point from center of mass and would give you mister toads wild ride. But if you let go of the stick 99.9% of the time it would come out of it. It would be a little easier up high with stores but you would have to hold pro- spin controls to get it to do it. It is not very likely though because you would jettison your stores prior to doing high G or High AOA maneuvering."

"The f15 is extremely difficult to spin and very forgiving if you just let go of it."

That is interesting!

I look forward to hearing more on the subject, from a former\current F-15 driver, especially about the frequent engine shutdowns experienced with the new AFM during rigorous maneuvers.

Well, until I get a chance to Invite Bruce over to fly the afm I can only txt him questions. As with anything I do not want to just constantly be asking him questions. He is a busy man, he flys for FEDEX internationally so it's hard to get a hold of him.

Last I spoke to him he was very interested in flying the afm.

The quote I posted earlier was not specific to this page. I had asked him about leaving controlled flight 30+k ft with stores a month ago in regards to another thread.

Once I get him over to fly the PFM I'll report back on how exactly he says it compares to the real thing. BTW he flew early 80s to late 90s he has 2300 hours in the f15c. so pretty much the exact same modeled in dcs.

Thank you!

It would be interesting to know (as a FYI) the modeled conditions that lead to certain behaviors in-game and how closely it mirrors real F-15C mechanics. Though as already stated, this is still an early release of the functionality, and there will certainly be modifications in the near future.

Hopefully, the question of engine shut-downs during certain executions will be addressed soon. Because it is really difficult to restart the engines in-flight when they do fail. (I haven't been able to duplicate the one time I did recover status -- All other times, I've managed to slide into a rough landing w\no gear):doh: