Can listen, but can't talk to AWACS

Caveman

I only play in multiplayer. I've never had the option to query AWACS from the Huey, it's not even an option in the comm menu. I can listen to bogey reports for other players, but can't query the AWACS myself. I had just assumed it was designed that way, but I was watching another players stream and he was able to call for bogey dope.

I'm setting the UHF to the AWACS frequency of whichever server I am on, setting T/R, select radio 2 and can listen only. Am I missing something?

Caveman

Check your switch to make sure you not broadcasting over intercom. It should be a rotary switch above the rocket panel if I’m correct labeled 1,2,3,4 etc

The radios aren't the problem. The problem is, as the OP pointed out, that the AWACS entry isn't even available in the comms menu when flying the Huey!

@ED: I would be glad if the AWACS option could be added to the Huey's comms menu. I've been in situations as well, where I really missed this option. :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

• 3 weeks later...

I came across a patch or mod to put the AWACS and JTAC options into the KA-50.

After closely looking at the files included in the little mod I made out only two lines of code that actually include the menu items. By adding them to my Huey's config I got both AWACS and JTAC to work.

You need to do the following:

1. Find the file called "comm.lua" in your Huey's config. It is located inside DCS here: "\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\Uh-1H\comm.lua".

2. Make a copy of the file for backup. It is ok to make a copy right in the same location.

3. Open "comm.lua" with a text editor.

4. Scroll to the very bottom of the file where you find bunch of lines starting with "utils.verifyChunk(utils.loadfileIn( ...".

5. Add the following two line to the end of the file:

utils.verifyChunk(utils.loadfileIn('Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/Config/Common/JTAC.lua', getfenv()))(9)
utils.verifyChunk(utils.loadfileIn('Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/Config/Common/AWACS.lua', getfenv()))(10, {tanker = true, radar = true})

This will add the JTAC menu as F9 and AWACS as F10 items.

6. Save and close the file. Done.

As with all other radios in the Huey you have to make sure to be on the right frequencies on the right radios to get a response. AWACS works as usual, for JTAC to show up in the menu make sure you have weapons loaded (took me a while to figure that out :lol: ).

I attached a little mission to test this out.

I assume this "mod" would work on all aircraft in this manner.

My understanding is that the two lines of code simply chain load two other config snippets that implement the JTAC and AWACS menus.

Have fun! :joystick:

Fast Mission AWACS Test.miz

Edited by BenBenBeartrax
  • Thanks 1

I came across a patch or mod to put the AWACS and JTAC options into the KA-50.

After closely looking at the files included in the little mod I made out only two lines of code that actually include the menu items. By adding them to my Huey's config I got both AWACS and JTAC to work.

You need to do the following:

1. Find the file called "comm.lua" in your Huey's config. It is located inside DCS here: "\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\Uh-1H\comm.lua".

2. Make a copy of the file for backup. It is ok to make a copy right in the same location.

3. Open "comm.lua" with a text editor.

4. Scroll to the very bottom of the file where you find bunch of lines starting with "utils.verifyChunk(utils.loadfileIn( ...".

5. Add the following two line to the end of the file:

utils.verifyChunk(utils.loadfileIn('Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/Config/Common/JTAC.lua', getfenv()))(9)

utils.verifyChunk(utils.loadfileIn('Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/Config/Common/AWACS.lua', getfenv()))(10, {tanker = true, radar = true})

This will add the JTAC menu as F9 and AWACS as F10 items.

6. Save and close the file. Done.

As with all other radios in the Huey you have to make sure to be on the right frequencies on the right radios to get a response. AWACS works as usual, for JTAC to show up in the menu make sure you have weapons loaded (took me a while to figure that out ).

I attached a little mission to test this out.

I assume this "mod" would work on all aircraft in this manner.

My understanding is that the two lines of code simply chain load to other config snippets that implement the JTAC and AWACS menus.

Have fun! :joystick:

Will this mod pass the IC ?

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Tried this out today, couldn't get the copied text to work but used the lines from my Viggen comm file instead and now works great in single player, dont show in Online servers but passes integrity checks.

• Thanks 1

Huey. Intel X5660 4,2ghz, 24gb ddr3, gtx 1060 6gb

AJS37. Cyborg evo

Yak 52. Opentrack ir

KA-50

P-47