Best VR set for 2.5?

Belisarius

I personally still thing the Oculus Rift provides the best overall experience, especially for the price. Until true second generation product comes out, which is not likely until maybe late 2019 at the earliest.

The Rift just works, and works quite well. And with the Touch Controllers really provides a unique experience especially with some other games. Yeah when first got my Rift in Jan 2017 I thought I would only be using it for flight sims. After hooking up the Touch controllers, I could not resist some other experiences, and very glad I did. Still my main love is flight sims, but I enjoy having the ability to run many of those other games from time to time. Even enjoy decorating my own Oculus Home as well.

Ok so the main drawback to current gen VR is resolution. For me, the immersion I get from it far outweighs that. In fact have not games on my monitor since Jan 2017.

However there are a couple of other options for a little increase in resolution:

Samsung Odyssey - A windows mixed reality headset, that is getting some good reports. VR can be broken down into some categories - a mobile headset that requires a phone, a WMR headset like the Odyssey and others, then high end PC-VR headsets like the Rift and Vive,

Vive Pro - An update to the current Vive with little better resolution. However a very pricey one, much more than headsets mentioned above. Original Vive is about like the Rift, little more pricey. Vive Pro also has some drawbacks, like poor audio ( many use their own headsets), and some are even replacing the lenses in it with a Gear VR lens. Not a good sign for such an expensive piece of gear.

I would suggest reading up on the Rift, Vive, Vive Pro, and Odyssey and making as good a decision as you can for yourself. I personally think the Rift still offers the best value for the money with a great overall experience. And they are really working on some neat things for their next generation product.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I tried Odyssey, but gave it back. Still find the resolution too low to feel comfortable enough in DCS.

Things are blurry, you can't read all the info on MFCD.

At this moment Odyssey's resolution starts to be sufficient for warbords with big guages and robust feel.

Steam Index, i7 8700K, 32Gb, GTX 1070Ti, NVMe.

Hotas Warthog, Virpil, RX Vipers

Right now, the best is the Vive pro.

A few thoughts however:

- The Vive is better, but it's a LOT more expensive than a Rift. If you don't care about cost, then just do the Vive and be happy

- The Vive, Vive Pro, Rift and Odyssey are all basically 1st generation consumer level VR (though someone is likely to disagree with my view on things).

I see the real leap being when headsets not only get higher resolution, but also include eye tracking and can facilitate foveated rendering. Foveated rendering is expected to significantly reduce system requirements for VR. Putting it another way, we use the same gear, and it'll help our kit more easily cope with higher resolutions.

There's been lots of talk in the last 6 months about eye tracking capability, but I've yet to see a genuine production level solution even being tested. Based on that, we're probably looking at a minimum of 6 months before we get that next generation of kit.

So if money is burning a hole in your pocket right now, Vive Pro, then Rift, depending upon your budget.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

If anything else, just to give you even more of the first time "Wow this is cool experience" than us early VR adopters had :D !

I will say I have been doing VR with my Rift for well over a year, and I still have that Wow feeling every time I get into the cockpit for a flight.

Nothing quite like it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Its a tedious time to look at VR. The Pimax is coming in the next month or two for backers and I'd assume within 6 months for everyone else. The Vive Pro looks good, The new Rift is enroute and they all have their speculation. '

Personally, I backed the 8K Pimax because of the 200 Degree FOV and I think it will provide the best experience of them all but time will tell. I'd buy a used Rift for now and put more funds into the next gen.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Samsung Odyssey. Highest resolution, 70+% more pixels than the Rift and Vive, AMOLED screens. Easiest setup, No towers or cabling to run, plug and play with Windows10. Works flawlessly with DCS.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Its a tedious time to look at VR. The Pimax is coming in the next month or two for backers and I'd assume within 6 months for everyone else. The Vive Pro looks good, The new Rift is enroute and they all have their speculation. '

Personally, I backed the 8K Pimax because of the 200 Degree FOV and I think it will provide the best experience of them all but time will tell. I'd buy a used Rift for now and put more funds into the next gen.

Bet ya $10 the commercial Pimax doesn’t hit the market this year.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Bet ya $10 the commercial Pimax doesn’t hit the market this year.

Could be, who knows.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Hi! My 2 cents....

I’ve had and used them all and by far, the VivePro is the best. Allbeit, not perfect. The WAU! factor is built-in in all of them. After admiring the views for awhile, you start to look at instruments a litlle closer and with the others you have to really look CLOSER to read all of them. Off course the tiniest prints in M2000 still are unreadable. The cost for having the clarity with acceptable FPS is, you’ve got to have a very powerfull rig.

If you want VR now and price is no object, go with VivePro. Or, get A second hand Rift and wait for price drop on VivePro. Rift2, Pimax8K should be available within a year.

Waiting for my 8K :)

i9-9900K 4,9Ghz, 2080ti, 32Gb, 1Gb m.2, Index, WinWing throttle, Baur BRD-N, Crosswind pedals, Orbwiever and tm mfd`s, all in a Hornet simpit.

I've had both the Vive and the Rift and if I had to choose between them the Vive with the deluxe headstrap is by far the better HMD (tracking, clarity, brightness).

I haven't used an Odyssey yet but it presents the best value for resolution (same as Vive pro) at the moment with the easiest physical setup.

Of course if money is no object, vive pro is probably the way to go for the best experience today.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

The vive Pro is maybe the best, but very expensive too. As base stations and controllers are not provided with, and they cost the price of a vive. So to get the vive Pro you need to buy a vive, then a vive Pro.

So you could just get the vive :)

This is what I have the vive, and it works great. Of course VR is a bit blurry, but that is the case of all current gen VR headset. The vive Pro has better resolution, but it comes to a cost, and not a small one.

About blurriness you could play with the new feature in DCS for VR, dont remember the name, which helps with that. The vive has a knob to setup that but I'm not really happy about the max range of this setting. The dcs setting allows you now to setup this as you wish. And with that you'll see better the instruments. Not crystal clear of course, but better.

Don't forget as well that in VR you could lean to watch an instrument, this is easy and quick, or you could also use the zoom feature mapped on a button.

But really once you tried flying (or racing) in VR you couldn't go back to flat screens.

I got the vive as well for room games but it is a bit too complicate to always move the living room table when I want to play so I stick with flight and racing sims :)

Good luck...

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Value-wise, the Odyssey is far and away the best choice right now.

The tracking is 100% spot-on for desktop simming. The knocks the Odyssey gets for tracking have to do with scenarios outside the scope of sitting at your computer (e.g. can't track controllers behind you).

Resolution-wise, it's significantly better than the Rift (which I've also tried). I think a lot of the people who say it's not that much better didn't wear it properly. It is very sensitive to positioning and IPD adjustements. Give it a few hours of playing and fine-tuning the fit before you judge.

I can't think of any reasons to spend over double the cost of the Odyssey to get the Vive Pro, which has the same screens and no discernible tracking difference in DCS.

Value-wise, the Odyssey is far and away the best choice right now.

The tracking is 100% spot-on for desktop simming. The knocks the Odyssey gets for tracking have to do with scenarios outside the scope of sitting at your computer (e.g. can't track controllers behind you).

Resolution-wise, it's significantly better than the Rift (which I've also tried). I think a lot of the people who say it's not that much better didn't wear it properly. It is very sensitive to positioning and IPD adjustements. Give it a few hours of playing and fine-tuning the fit before you judge.

I can't think of any reasons to spend over double the cost of the Odyssey to get the Vive Pro, which has the same screens and no discernible tracking difference in DCS.

Or we're old and can't discern the difference. :D:D Trust me, I tried to adjust it every which way. So I came to the conclusion that my tired eyes simply are not able to discern it. (I had the Vive, but chose Rift, then bought the Odyssey but returned it). So I did A/B test each step of the way.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents,

I started using DCS with the Rift and have recently started using the Samsung Odyssey and both work great in DCS, but the HW requirements for running the Odyssey in DCS smoothly are basically state of the market at this point in time. If you are using a 1080ti you shouldn't have much trouble running either with higher settings. I've included my DCS System settings that I use with the Odyssey and the Rift if that helps. Also I have Pixel Density at 1.4 for the odyssey and 1.6 for the Rift.

I expect that the WMR SW will improve with time, but it's basically OBE due to Steam VR's level of control on things like asynchronous reprojection.

1027348702_DCDSVRSettings.thumb.PNG.3f5ef86ba76c3f28573ea183056d3094.PNG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fair Winds and Following Seas

• 7 months later...

in the past year, i have read alot, and came up short with a conclusion, its just information overload. I will say this is probably one of the better threads I have read thru because its short and seemingly to the point. That is why Iam finally making a post. I realize its an older thread. I am about to pull the trigger on something. Thinking of staying with my current GPU and getting a Rift or buying a 1080ti Hybrid and MAYBE a headset a notch better than Rift, whatever that is these days? I wear glasses, that is a big factor, and fly Helicopters from my desktop, not looking for any other games really. Would love to do without those remote sensors too.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

If you wear glasses, you're going to have to get VR goggles/glasses as most glasses don't play nice with HMD.

Odyssey+ seems to have great clarity, has no cube/sensors, but tracking can drift if the background is white/bright.

Rift is comfortable, but is oldest of the bunch, and the sensors are easy to setup as they only require USB3.

Vive Pro is the most expensive, and the sensors require USB as well as power.

Odyssey+ users are having some issues with alignment and seems to be a known issue with Windows Mixed Reality.

Since you're in the NE, you can probably find a Microsoft/BestBuys and can return the Odyssey+ if you don't like it. Same for Rift.

But 1080Ti is highly recommended.

Good luck

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

If you wear glasses, you're going to have to get VR goggles/glasses as most glasses don't play nice with HMD.

Two things with the Vive Pro:

1. The headset works with glasses (you can physically 'push' or 'pull' the HMD screens away from your eyes to accommodate them); and
  2. The 'Lightboxes' don't require USB, just power.

No argument on the $$$ though :shocking:

Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | Gigabyte X570-Aorus Ultra | Gigabyte GeForce 4090 | Samsung C34F791 | Varjo Aero | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | too many flight controllers...

Thank you sir, I was not aware that there were "VR Goggles" vs "HMD", I thought they were all pretty much the same outside of some manufacturing differences.Thanks for the advise regarding the different options for me.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Odyssey+ seems to have great clarity, has no cube/sensors, but tracking can drift if the background is white/bright.

Rift is comfortable, but is oldest of the bunch, and the sensors are easy to setup as they only require USB3.

Odyssey+ users are having some issues with alignment and seems to be a known issue with Windows Mixed Reality.

Since you're in the NE, you can probably find a Microsoft/BestBuys and can return the Odyssey+ if you don't like it. Same for Rift.

But 1080Ti is highly recommended.

Good luck

Note: The odyssey + Alignment is a DCS issues and does not happen in WMR. ED is working on the fix. Also, it doesnt effect all Odyssey + HMDs, only some. Mine is fine.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Note: The odyssey + Alignment is a DCS issues and does not happen in WMR. ED is working on the fix. Also, it doesnt effect all Odyssey + HMDs, only some. Mine is fine.

Ooops. That's what I meant. The MS guys supposedly contacted ED re: the problem.

As for glasses, yes, some fit OK. But not all glasses fit. It's a hit and miss. I actually refitted one of my kids glasses with my prescription. Then gave up and got the VR goggles from VR Lens lab. Way better, IMO.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

ok,, please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean you gave up and got VR Goggles?

What exactly did you give up, the Rift? And what are these VR Goggles you speak of? Thanks,

ok,, please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean you gave up and got VR Goggles?

What exactly did you give up, the Rift? And what are these VR Goggles you speak of? Thanks,

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/vr-frames-virtual-reality-glasses/

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2