how long can A10 be flown inverted

agrasyuk

About 10 seconds. :)

The A-10 has an auxiliary fuel tank that is fed by the rest of the system to feed the engines during inverted flight (well, technically it's negative G that matters, but this usually only becomes an issue specifically with inverted flight, that G-profile wouldn't be sustained very long when initiating a dive). Once this runs dry, your engines cease to be fed fuel, and the shut down.

This is all as it should be, but lots of fun when you first encounter it. For me I "noticed" this feature back in testing while doing some stunts at low level, flying inverted over another guy who was heading in to land. I was surprised, to say the least, and I have never worked so hard and so fast to get my engines spooled back up. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yea, the A-10 is not meant to be flown inverted. I think it has some kind of small, inverted-flight tanks to supply the engines so that you can fly upside down for a short period, but the main fuel tanks are gravity fed I think. So if you need to fly for a while inverted, cut the throttle to idle- you will use up your inverted feed fuel much more slowly.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

10 seconds if you sustain inverted level flight....

I was going to do a top gun moment of flying upside down, on top of my wingman and wave hello. But as soon as you fly inverted, the nose starts to drop towards the ground, to which you respond by pushing the stick forward, which causes even more negative Gs. Lets just say it took about 3 seconds before everything shut down, and I was too low to restart... My spine had a wonderful time with the ejector seat boosters... :(

Not all, but certainly a fair few. Most can fly negative g for longer than the hog, but most are still limited.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Guest Fury_007

I was able to fly inverted for about 40 seconds at idle. I got up a bunch of speed and then threw throttles to idle before rolling over. The engines didn't quit so I flipped back over not wanting to push it. Anyone gone longer?

Wait, does the auxiliary fuel tank refills after a while? I'm surprised that this still happens in modern planes. I thought the fuel injectors changed that. Are all planes like that?

Modern plane?..the A10?? ;)

Avionics are pretty new, but the fuel / hydrolihs / electrics is allll 1960's tech afaik

To be strict, on the question asked in subject I would answer "until it will fall". At least, after the engines will shut down, plane still can fly inverted. ;-)

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

About 10 seconds. :)

The A-10 has an auxiliary fuel tank that is fed by the rest of the system to feed the engines during inverted flight (well, technically it's negative G that matters, but this usually only becomes an issue specifically with inverted flight, that G-profile wouldn't be sustained very long when initiating a dive). Once this runs dry, your engines cease to be fed fuel, and the shut down.

This is all as it should be, but lots of fun when you first encounter it. For me I "noticed" this feature back in testing while doing some stunts at low level, flying inverted over another guy who was heading in to land. I was surprised, to say the least, and I have never worked so hard and so fast to get my engines spooled back up. :D

There is no way you can tell me that you were flying over a guy who was about to land (so maybe 2000 feet) and you got your engines running again with the APU? NO WAY! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

There is no way you can tell me that you were flying over a guy who was about to land (so maybe 2000 feet) and you got your engines running again with the APU? NO WAY! :D

Heh, I was just wondering this myself.

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

If you notice the engine failure quickly (like a good pilot should ;)) then you don't need the APU to restart the engines. All you need to do is push the engine operate switches to ignition, and provided the core RPM is still high enough they will re-light. Speed is essential when it comes to an engine flame out, both in respect of spotting the flame out and reacting to it.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• 6 years later...

Tried this last night. Good thing I had spent so much time practicing cold starts on the ground. I hadn't realized the benefit of that, until I had to get the engines restarted and everything back on-line while maintaining my airspeed to prevent falling out of the sky. Pretty cool stuff! :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: