Why pull cyclic for hovering?

Jinker

The main rotor is tilted slightly forward when the cyclic is dead center, to help out a little when flying forward. Due to this you need to hold the cyclic slightly behind dead center when hovering to not move forward. Hope it makes it a little bit clearer.

Edit

Sniped by lemoen

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Holton is right. The main rotor mast is tilted slightly forward. Is this context, a cyclic hold back compensation is needed to deny forward movement. It's simple. Moreover, depending on the main rotor spinning direction clockwise or counterclockwise the mast is tilted left or rightside as well.

Edited by Panthir

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

Thanks for the answers.

This also means that normally the CG of the helicopter is in front of the main rotor axis, right?

Not necessarily. The CG should be close to it, but not necessarily in front of it. I don't know the details for the Huey though.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

For every input of one control (cyclic,collective, trim pedals) the other two will need to adjust to counteract the forces. The more collective the more left pedal. And left and rear cyclic.its best to read the manual throughly to understand the hueys control process. Because when you lift off slowly like you should you pull back and to the left for. A reason the first thing to happen is the skids toes clear the ground, then the rt skid and finally the left skid. Finally you have slipped the surly bonds of the earth.the you have to deal with thins likenige, one etl before you get into forward flight. Then remember what a friend told me “It’s easy to fly the huey, but it’s diffi to control her”

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Thanks for the answers.

This also means that normally the CG of the helicopter is in front of the main rotor axis, right?

Yes.

The CG limits usually is in front of the rotor mast. Stability in forward flight comes from balancing forces against each other. CG in front of rotor mast and stabilisator on tail boom gives a downward force in forward flight.

This is mainly the same principle as an normal stable fixed wing aircraft also.

For the UH1, the longitudinal cg limits is 130-144 inch rear of reference datum. Rotor mast is at 133.5 inches at the top, but is 5 degree tilted forward, making the longitudinal limits to be situated forward of the rotor mast shaft on the floor.

[Edit]Of course a typo did sneak in, the CG limits is 130-144(corrected above from typo, 140-144)

[Edit]Before getting shot down by anyone, when I say CG limits usually is in front of the rotor mast, this is a simplification of reality. But just to make it easy to understand. If I remember it correct the UH60 has the mast in front of the CG limits, and the last two helos i did fly and still fly has the rotor mast around the middle of the CG limited area. ( I sell CG calculation apps at app store, so I have at least some knowledge about it, http://sevenbytes.se/ )

Edited by Gunnars Driver

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

...but is 5 degree tilted forward, making the longitudinal limits to be situated forward of the rotor mast shaft on the floor.

Thanks, this is something I never thought of!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

You'll find that armaments in the DCS Huey will shift CoG forward.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

without back cyclic and centered cyclic the rotor disc is slanted forward, so when you increase collective the disc is already forward, so the aoa of disc is increased causing lift with forward thrust by rotor disc being angled.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Those of you explaining this with the rotor disc being slanted forward, you have not thought it through completely. It is true that the slanted disc requires you to apply aft stick when taking off, but that's just for the initial small pitch up required until the rotor disc is horizontal. After that, when you are in the air in a stable hover, what's important is the balance of forces, not the angle between the disc and some arbitrary "level" plane of the helicopter body. What matters then is the horizontal distance between the force vector of the rotor and the center of gravity of the heli, as well as trim and mechanical properties of the cyclic system. That's what's really causing the need for aft cyclic in a stable hover.

I suspect the reason to be designed like this is that the increase in speed results in a increase in pitch up tendency. I guess the rotor being centered in a slight pitch down position is to partially compensate that. If you take off without trimming (or hit trim reset), you'll see that after you gain a certain amount of speed you don't need to hold cyclic forward anymore and can leave it at rest in the center, and the helicopter will fly level. If you continue increasing speed, you'll have to push the stick forward instead of pull back, to keep flying level. Maybe if the rotor wasn't a bit forward when centered, you'd run out of cyclic travel forward in order to keep level flight at high speeds...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Sharkku makes a good point. Once in "level" flight, the built in forward tilt of the rotor mast serves mainly to allow the pilot to comfortably look forward without fatiguing his neck. Lateral tilt biasing on the other hand has more aerodynamic purpose.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

@PeaceSells: Nope, the forward slant would not be able to compensate for the pitch-up tendency at higher forward speeds by itself. It's there for the reason Chic mentions, to keep the ride more comfortable for the pilot and passengers. In normal cruise you need a forwards propelling force, that in a helicopter comes from angling the thrust vector of the main rotor forwards. Compensating for the pitch-up tendency is accomplished by cyclic trim and tail elevator angle.

I wasn't talking about rotor slant forward, I was talking about pitch foward moment, not the same thing, despite one might contribute to the other.

Plus, whatever is causing a pitch foward moment without the need to pull the stick (or trim) is already naturally compensating for pitch up moment.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

• 2 weeks later...
Yes.

The CG limits usually is in front of the rotor mast. Stability in forward flight comes from balancing forces against each other. CG in front of rotor mast and stabilisator on tail boom gives a downward force in forward flight.

This is mainly the same principle as an normal stable fixed wing aircraft also.

For the UH1, the longitudinal cg limits is 130-144 inch rear of reference datum. Rotor mast is at 133.5 inches at the top, but is 5 degree tilted forward, making the longitudinal limits to be situated forward of the rotor mast shaft on the floor.

[Edit]Of course a typo did sneak in, the CG limits is 130-144(corrected above from typo, 140-144)

[Edit]Before getting shot down by anyone, when I say CG limits usually is in front of the rotor mast, this is a simplification of reality. But just to make it easy to understand. If I remember it correct the UH60 has the mast in front of the CG limits, and the last two helos i did fly and still fly has the rotor mast around the middle of the CG limited area. ( I sell CG calculation apps at app store, so I have at least some knowledge about it, http://sevenbytes.se/ )

In fact its pretty simple.

Because control inputs are limited in any direction. It make sens to give the Helicopter a tendency in a direction you need it most. In Fact forward. Because nobody fly's with 80 Knots backwards.

Main rotor masts usually rigged to the left or to the right for compensating tail rotor trust, which not only controls the direction in which the Nose points. It also pushes the helicopter sideways.

CG may be any place in front or behind the main rotor mast as long it is in limits.

Limits are Coarsely defined by the ability of the controls to counteract the unbalance in load.In fact by burning fuel CG is moving during flight.

For example . If your GC is out of limits to the front. Pull back the cyclic all the way, will not prevent the helicopter from moving forward in a hover.

Always happy landings ;)