[ACKNOWLEDGED]]Hypoxia - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #21
ivo

set AIR SOURCE to RAM, cockpit depressurize. try and let my know....I get depressurize set to RAM

My wishlist: F16C/F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40C Tomawhak

ivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #22
Dee-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo View Post
try and let my know....
Oky ... will do

ASUSTeK ROG MAXIMUS X HERO / Intel Core i5-8600K (4.8 GHz) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / 16GB DDR4 Ballistix Elite, 3200 MHz / Windows 10 Home 64-bit / HOTAS Cougar FSSB R1 (Warthog grip) / SIMPED / MFD Cougar / ViperGear ICP / Track IR 5
Dee-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #23
randomTOTEN

Just tried it, yes the cockpit depressurizes when AIR SOURCE is set to RAM.

Quote:
Its works fine ?
It's not perfect, but it's not broken.

Quote:
IMO, considering the type of canopy, we will be closer to a rapid decompression than a slow decompression.
DJ you make a great point about the canopy seal. So we wouldn't have a "slow leak" as that seal has basically failed.
But I guess that it isn't a rapid decompression. My only evidence for this is the existence of a DUMP setting in all these aircraft (Viper included). If depressurizing the seal performed the same action, what would be the point of having this switch setting (i.e. it would be redundant)?
randomTOTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #24
Dee-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomTOTEN View Post
If depressurizing the seal performed the same action, what would be the point of having this switch setting?
Because it would be unsafe to "unlock" the canopy during the flight ... especially if cockpit is still pressurized and ΔP not zero! ...

On some other aircrafts I've flown ... canopy lock and canopy seal inflating command is not the same.

Here is on Alpha Jet (more or less the same on Mirage and Jaguar) :

"Climat" switch is turning ECS "ON" and inflates the rubber seal ...

Red handle is just locking the canopy.

ASUSTeK ROG MAXIMUS X HERO / Intel Core i5-8600K (4.8 GHz) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / 16GB DDR4 Ballistix Elite, 3200 MHz / Windows 10 Home 64-bit / HOTAS Cougar FSSB R1 (Warthog grip) / SIMPED / MFD Cougar / ViperGear ICP / Track IR 5

Last edited by Dee-Jay; 12-04-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #25
randomTOTEN

Quote:
Because it would be unsafe to "unlock" the canopy during the flight
That's true, but I was trying to suggest that you could depressurize the canopy seal by setting the AIR SOURCE switch to either OFF or RAM... no physical unlocking of the canopy required (although that too deflates the seal) and no DUMP position required.

Looking at the Hellenic AF manual, it states that both DUMP and RAM open the "cockpit pressure dump valve." DUMP keeps the air supply going, and RAM introduces ram air into the system. Air leaking past the canopy must not be enough to rapidly depressurize, thus the ability to open the valve, but pressure loss would still be substantial by my guess.

Have you guys ever depressurized the cockpit in flight? as part of training?

EDIT: Those controls look identical to the RAZBAM M-2000C

Last edited by randomTOTEN; 12-04-2019 at 11:02 PM.
randomTOTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #26
Dee-Jay

OFF DUMP and RAM does not do the same. DUMP is only opening the outflow valve to external pressure but does not turns off other systems such as OBOGS ... G suit supply ... etc ...