HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Sorry, no I didn't mean that at all. Beauty of internet forums, eh?

However, I still don't know what people mean by the Index being 'made purely for gaming'. What does that mean?

Ok, maybe I tend to overrate exclamation marks :D

What I meant by "made for gaming"

The Index has been developed in such a way that it works directly with SteamVR games and doesn't rely on WMR. The HMD is even comes with a copy of Half Life (not that I'd play it though) which to me indicates their focus on gaming. But I could definately be wrong.

But, tbh, my main point of doubt is the Reverb's limited fov compared to the Index. I also saw a review from a guy going from cv1 to Reverb and saying the fov felt even less than the cv1. Which was probably due to him having and ipd of 69 (my ipd is around 66-68 )..

Anyways.. I'm still very much leaning towards the Reverb... Guess I just hope for that last push from some unexpected angle :P

If doing evaluation of which set to get, do not countthe install on Reverb as a big minus. Cause it really insnt.

You can choose the Index for FOV, thats a valid evaluation point. But not setup.

Ok, point taken :)

I'll scratch the installation part off my "con" list then

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

So it's just refresh rate that people are talking about to make it 'purely for gaming'? I find that odd, I mean, when I tried refresh rates 90+ on the Index, I could see no difference from 90, but that may just be me. Anyway, 90Hz is more than good enough for games. How may people here are achieving 90 anyway?

From what I could tell when I was active in Index threads/forums, not many were using the higher than 90 rates anyway, so it definitely is a moot point.

If you go on to sim racing forums there are some who believe higher refresh rates make it more responsive and hence they faster. Not sure how much is a placebo effect though. certainly 144Hz monitors are considered "better" for gaming. How much is marketing is another matter...

When it comes to FPS games on monitors, higher refresh is definitely considered a plus for competitive gaming

If I could run DCS at a solid 90fps on high detail levels I would be stoked so I don't really care!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

The Index has been developed in such a way that it works directly with SteamVR games and doesn't rely on WMR. The HMD is even comes with a copy of Half Life (not that I'd play it though) which to me indicates their focus on gaming. But I could definately be wrong.

WMR is pretty much focussed on games though: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-mixed-reality

I wouldn't really put that as a compromise, it just adds another layer.

A key difference IMHO is of course the Reverb is made by HP who make all manner of devices and the Index by Valve who are a gaming company. I might expect Valve to put more effort into the gaming performance. I do think it is a more polished product, the fact the Reverb works great for DCS might be more by chance.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Well, the WMR layer is not that big a deal. SteamVR works perfectly well with the Reverb as it did with the Index. You could say the same about all Oculus HMDs being not native to SteamVR.

Bundling Alyx is just a marketing tool. No significance there, I would say. (Personally, I am really looking forward to that coming in March!)

But, tbh, my main point of doubt is the Reverb's limited fov compared to the Index. I also saw a review from a guy going from cv1 to Reverb and saying the fov felt even less than the cv1. Which was probably due to him having and ipd of 69 (my ipd is around 66-68 )..

Yep, the reduced FOV compared ot the Index is a bit of an issue, but anyone used to Vives or Rifts won't see any difference, it's just that the Index is wider.

I must admit, at first, when going from Index to Reverb, I did notice the FOV difference, but after a day or two, I didn't.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

If you go on to sim racing forums there are some who believe higher refresh rates make it more responsive and hence they faster.

Of course the industri want you to believe stuff, buying their more high tech stuff....but...

I did a lot of car racing (IRL, and also on computer) during the 90:s. When internet came along, of course online also.

I know for sure that for example TOCA and TOCA2 was games that had FPS dependent calculation for keeping the car on the road. You didnt have to have a 144hz screen, but you had to have a very good computer and disable Vsync to get the good stuff.

I built a PC specific for this with Overlocked dual SLI Voodoo2 cards and with a highly overclocked CPU I actually had the possibility to be among the fastest there was. My friend, also TOCA2 gamer couldnt run ass fast on his computer(same steering wheel etc) so he came to me, also using my computer for the fastest laps.

I dont know if this is the reality today. Hope not, of course. If calculations of speed, G-forces etc. is’nt involved in the graphic part it should really matter what FPS you see on your screen.

(Maybe a side note to this thread...)

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

That's what makes it more realistic. You have to twist your whole body in real life too, since depth perception suffers the further you move your eyes to either side.

I'm all for reality, and if that's the way it works, that's great. I saw a video where a guy playing DCS wearing a headset was making really exaggerated movements, even more so than we would use in real-life. That's what prompted my question. I can't find the video, but if I come across it again, I'll post it.

I'm all for reality, and if that's the way it works, that's great. I saw a video where a guy playing DCS wearing a headset was making really exaggerated movements, even more so than we would use in real-life. That's what prompted my question. I can't find the video, but if I come across it again, I'll post it.

You have to because of the lower FOV in the headsets compared to real life peripheral vision and having no swivel chair. When using a swivel chair it's about moving as much as in the real thing roughly.

Isn't the Index FOV a little higher than 110?

Hmm, could be. I haven't kept up following up on other HMD details since I got the Rift! :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The Valve Index actually has fov 130

This, the fact that the Index is more plug and play and is made purely for gaming, still hold me back from purchasing the Reverb.

Maybe someone here can push me over that line (although people here are probably biased :P)

The resolution would hold me back. Once you have Reverb clarity, it's hard, really hard, to go back.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well, the WMR layer is not that big a deal. SteamVR works perfectly well with the Reverb as it did with the Index. You could say the same about all Oculus HMDs being not native to SteamVR.

Bundling Alyx is just a marketing tool. No significance there, I would say. (Personally, I am really looking forward to that coming in March!)

Yep, the reduced FOV compared ot the Index is a bit of an issue, but anyone used to Vives or Rifts won't see any difference, it's just that the Index is wider.

I must admit, at first, when going from Index to Reverb, I did notice the FOV difference, but after a day or two, I didn't.

Yeah, I had the Pimax 5K+ and Rift at the same time. I gave away the Rift, and sold the P5K+. When I went back to Rift, I finally understood what people meant when they said "looking through a scuba mask"

But when I got the Reverb, the added clarity overcame the smaller FOV. I wish I could have both, but I can't so I chose resolution over FoV. Can the 8K finally deliver both? Maybe. But the software on 5K+ was finicky. Usable to a VR veteran, but newcomers may find it too daunting.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

There was an FA18 aviator checking six. And it was pretty exaggerated. I remember that sticking out. Although it could have been a Viper driver. But there's a reason why fighters have handle bars to grab as you turn. In VR setting, we could *all* use something like that. As I often reach out to grab the bars that I see in the game. :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Hmm, could be. I haven't kept up following up on other HMD details since I got the Rift! :D

The Index FOV is around 130. As I said above somewhere, at first, when I went from the Index to the Reverb, I really noticed the difference, but after a few days, it didn't matter.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The resolution would hold me back. Once you have Reverb clarity, it's hard, really hard, to go back.

I can confirm...i had good performance with the rift s and now i have awful performance with the reverb...but i am stuck here as I cannot go back

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I can confirm...i had good performance with the rift s and now i have awful performance with the reverb...but i am stuck here as I cannot go back

:ermm:

Seriously?

I am kinda on the last step of ordering a Reverb (checking from which webstore I'll purchase, or maybe grab one 2nd hand), but reading your post is disturbing, as your system is better than mine..

After reading quite a lot of discussions here, I pretty much convinced myself that the lower PD settings would allow me to enjoy the Reverb without having to upgrade my system :P

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

:ermm:

Seriously?

I am kinda on the last step of ordering a Reverb (checking from which webstore I'll purchase, or maybe grab one 2nd hand), but reading your post is disturbing, as your system is better than mine..

Many people reports better performance then me....i don’t know what to say.

I simply cannot mantain 45fps in every situation as i could with the rift s (40 fps) and with the rift i used pd 1.4 while with the reverb also on 100% ss (which is reverb native res) the situation is the one I described.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

My systems comparable and I have good performance most of the time 45-90 fps and for the most part smooth ...not sure why your not ....that sucks

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

My systems comparable and I have good performance most of the time 45-90 fps and for the most part smooth ...not sure why your not ....that sucks

In the next days/weeks i will try to format my pc.

Maybe there is something i am missing software wise. Or maybe my gpu is not a good 1080ti.

I literally lost weeks trying every possible trick to optimize, so I simply decided to use 60hz option in wmr

Maybe there is something i am missing software wise. Or maybe my gpu is not a good 1080ti.

You followed the thuds guide on vr4dcs.com ? Updated win10 to 1909 ?

I cant be really sure becausae I upgraded my computer just before getting the Reverb.

Doesnt feel like they need that much extra performance. I actually get better smooth framerates with the reverb than with the Rift CV1, samt settings exept PD wich is 100% on the reverb and 1.6 on the Rift.

I have a feeling that it should be fixable in your case.

I overclock my GPU, always have with DCS. But in your case you should get everythin working good and nice first, then the OC can get you a few extra frames, keeping you above 45fps more of the time.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I literally lost weeks trying every possible trick to optimize, so I simply decided to use 60hz option in wmr

Are you sure you have PD set to 1.0 in DCS? Or maybe you jacked up SS in SteamVR too high?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

You followed the thuds guide on vr4dcs.com ? Updated win10 to 1909 ?

I cant be really sure becausae I upgraded my computer just before getting the Reverb.

Doesnt feel like they need that much extra performance. I actually get better smooth framerates with the reverb than with the Rift CV1, samt settings exept PD wich is 100% on the reverb and 1.6 on the Rift.

I have a feeling that it should be fixable in your case.

I overclock my GPU, always have with DCS. But in your case you should get everythin working good and nice first, then the OC can get you a few extra frames, keeping you above 45fps more of the time.

Thanks guys I really tried everything...

I also tried the guide on vr4dcs site.

I recently upgraded to windows insider slow ring, just to try the new wmr settings (60hz screen with same quality settings of 90hz).

My issues with 90hz are of two different kind

1) missions like hornet free flight instant action on persian gulf or stock hornet campaign mission 2 (cas) there is no settings that can keep me to 45fps over dubai or over the battlefield in the mentioned mission i go as low as 36/37 fps with dips on the 20nties

2) on normal load missions like caucasus free flight instant action or a10c weapon training mission i can basically keep 45fps but the fps is not constant...also putting motionvector (so always 45fps not auto) i have a red square every two or 3 seconds.

I tried to lower the settings but the result don’t change...also the shader’s mod didn’t help.

As i said it are months that i am hoping for some improvement and I tried every possible fix or tip on this forum.

With the oculus rift s at PD1.4 that did not happen and the 40fps were constant...in some scenes i had also 80fps if i lowered the settings. So maybe is a software thing, and maybe i will need to format my windows install

Edited by VirusAM

Are you sure you have PD set to 1.0 in DCS? Or maybe you jacked up SS in SteamVR too high?

100% supersampling in steam vr and 1.0 PD in dcs.

Now that i use 60hz setting i cranked steam ss to 120% but left dcs setting on 1.0

With the rift s i used oculus tray tool.

Thanks guys I really tried everything...

I also tried the guide on vr4dcs site.

I recently upgraded to windows insider slow ring, just to try the new wmr settings (60hz screen with same quality settings of 90hz).

My issues with 90hz are of two different kind

1) missions like hornet free flight instant action on persian gulf or stock hornet campaign mission 2 (cas) there is no settings that can keep me to 45fps over dubai or over the battlefield in the mentioned mission i go as low as 36/37 fps with dips on the 20nties

2) on normal load missions like caucasus free flight instant action or a10c weapon training mission i can basically keep 45fps but the fps is not constant...also putting motionvector (so always 45fps not auto) i have a red square every two or 3 seconds.

I tried to lower the settings but the result don’t change...also the shader’s mod didn’t help.

As i said it are months that i am hoping for some improvement and I tried every possible fix or tip on this forum.

With the oculus rift s at PD1.4 that did not happen and the 40fps were constant...in some scenes i had also 80fps if i lowered the settings. So maybe is a software thing, and maybe i will need to format my windows install

Stating the obvious, there is something going on with your setup.

Running the IA PG Free Flight over Dubai, I get a rock solid 45fps at 12500ft and 3000ft. I get 90fps when looking at the sky and 90fps when flying over the inland desert area away from Dubai.

I run at 150% SS, no FSAA, mostly high other DCS settings with shadows low and terrain shadows flat.

Now, I know you have a 1080Ti compared to my 2080Ti, but you should be seeing way better performance than you are, especailly running at 100% SS.

Can you post an image of your DCS settings page?

Stating the obvious, there is something going on with your setup.

Running the IA PG Free Flight over Dubai, I get a rock solid 45fps at 12500ft and 3000ft. I get 90fps when looking at the sky and 90fps when flying over the inland desert area away from Dubai.

I run at 150% SS, no FSAA, mostly high other DCS settings with shadows low and terrain shadows flat.

Now, I know you have a 1080Ti compared to my 2080Ti, but you should be seeing way better performance than you are, especailly running at 100% SS.

Can you post an image of your DCS settings page?

Sure.....

I am out of home now but i can remember most of the settings

Right now i have (60hz screen settings)

Texture high (both) - visibility ultra - shadows low (cockpit) and flat only (ground) - civilian traffic low - heatblur off - no effects - trees 100% - chimney smoke 0 - preload radius 100% - cockpit 1024 no msaa or ssaa at all. Pd 1.0 steam vr ss 120%.

For 90hz screen settings

I lower visibility to high

Shadows to flat (but the effect is really bad)

And cockpit to 512. Pd 1.0 vr ss 100%

I tried also lower settings (visibility medium - no shadow at all, trees 60%) but the gains are not able to take me up to 45 and the picture quality is significantly worse.

And yes i have prefer maximum performance in nvidia control panel for dcs.exe.

I also use process lasso to use only physical cores (no visible changes without it). Tried also to disable hyper-threading with no change at all.

I tought also of a psu issue but inhave a 850w bronze bought less then two years ago. Is there a way to verify how much wattage it is giving?

Thanks for your help.

I get your point, you are having good performance and quality with a 2080ti running SS at 150% i should have the same results at about 120%.

Edited by VirusAM

Are you sure about the effect of the visibility setting?

I changed it from high to medium and it made a huge difference in performance (like 15-20 fps). Also, I didn't really notice any visual degradation, but that's probably because the cv1 has poor resolution anyways :P

System specs:

Are you sure about the effect of the visibility setting?

I changed it from high to medium and it made a huge difference in performance (like 15-20 fps). Also, I didn't really notice any visual degradation, but that's probably because the cv1 has poor resolution anyways :P

I can try it again...but that doesn’t change the fact that my hardware with 100% SS and the same imacken settings, should be capable of similar fps

Edited by VirusAM