"A" or "R" below altitude?

Jak525

When in A/G master mode and employing bombs, an "A" or "R" sometimes pops up underneath the altitude box. I can't figure out what triggers either of them - not mentioned in the manual or any videos I've seen.

k6qR4GX.png

Edited by Jak525

R = radar altitude

B = barometric altitude

Generally when your radar altimeter is on as the HUD altitude source.

Negative, it's not correlated to the barometric / radar altitude indication. That still shows up (when source is set to radar), to the right, independently of the A or R indication

Negative, it's not correlated to the barometric / radar altitude indication. That still shows up (when source is set to radar), to the right, independently of the A or R indication

Right you are, sorry the R and B is next to the altitude anyway!

No idea what that is either!

R, B and A are shown only when a bomb is selected.

I believe, based on my observations and also some of the documentation of similar HUD displays, that it relates to the sensor that takes part in CCIP calculations.

When you are below 5000 feet it shows R initially. Above 5000 feet it shows B which corresponds to the radar altimeter scale as well.

A is shown while in dive.

I think it still shows R - Radar altimeter used for the bombing in CCIP (irrelevant of RALT switch position);

B- barometric altimeter;

A - (?) available (?)

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

A - Most probably is calculating the slant range and hight using the A/G radar. Because for accurate CCIP you need the range too. Further when you are in steep dive the RALT is not accurate due to the location of the radar at the tail.

I also saw a "B" below too. When I turned off the radar altimeter the "R" would consistently go away immediately (and come back when I turned it back on), so it's definitely got to do with using that. I'd imagine B means barometric, yeah. I have no idea what A means though. It's not the radar -- I turned that off to test.

Maybe ED can let us know, as I've never heard this mentioned.

now im confused, i thougt its like this: R shows when ralt is selected and you are below 5000ft and in normal attitude (not upside down). when you go above 5000ft you get a blicking B meaning it shows barometric now, or you should switch to balt. when you switch to balt, the B vanishes and you now have only the numbers.

SFMBE

Correct

now im confused, i thougt its like this: R shows when ralt is selected and you are below 5000ft and in normal attitude (not upside down). when you go above 5000ft you get a blicking B meaning it shows barometric now, or you should switch to balt. when you switch to balt, the B vanishes and you now have only the numbers.

Yes you are right. This is how it works.

We are talking about another indication, just below altitude box on the HUD.

A, R, or B is visible in addition to the above when you select a bomb.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I also saw a "B" below too. When I turned off the radar altimeter the "R" would consistently go away immediately (and come back when I turned it back on), so it's definitely got to do with using that. I'd imagine B means barometric, yeah. I have no idea what A means though. It's not the radar -- I turned that off to test.

Maybe ED can let us know, as I've never heard this mentioned.

Look here how the "A", "B" and "R" changes depending on height, angle and range.

For a high level of certainly,

the "A" is calculating range and height by A/G radar.

Where "B" is calculating range and height by Barometric Altimeter and INS.

And "R" is calculating range and height by Radar Altimeter and INS.

So, how that can help?

When you see "A" that's mean is most accurate, then "R", the "B" is the least accurate.

How does it decide when to use what? Can it be manually comanded to use a specific source (A,B,R)?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg