"Pathway in the sky" for carrier landing trainng mission?

Tord Hoppe

Hey, I´m guessing that this is not do-able, but I was wondering if those squares in the sky that for instance the nav training missions have are possible to anchor to a moving object, i.e. a carrier? If so, it would be neat to have those displaying at least the groove, or final section before landing. Maybe also the other "fixes" along the circuit, the 180, 90, 45 etc.

Just a thought to help out with getting up the learning curve a bit faster. :)

Hey, I´m guessing that this is not do-able, but I was wondering if those squares in the sky that for instance the nav training missions have are possible to anchor to a moving object, i.e. a carrier? If so, it would be neat to have those displaying at least the groove, or final section before landing. Maybe also the other "fixes" along the circuit, the 180, 90, 45 etc.

Just a thought to help out with getting up the learning curve a bit faster. :)

Good idea. :thumbup:

Perhaps post this on the wish list section at the top of this forum.

I was just looking at that in the editor LOL.

They would need to allow the Rings to be attached to the Carrier as it moves, just like the static objects do. This would allow the rings to move along at speed. At the moment the rings are add with scripts and a location etc.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Woud it be possible to place some other static objects in that fashion and make them non-crashable?

Yes you can..:thumbup:

Someone good at doing mods could even make something at the correct heights! 800, 600, 500 at the 90 deg etc.

With a static object and the current system they will follow along too and you can fly through them.

Quick test.. Not aligned

attachment.php?attachmentid=186603&stc=1&d=1528199165

Markers.thumb.jpg.129b1f083e9804b67bdf4fb43fd213e2.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

This could be a good thing for some that really need help? You don't want to introduce any negative training, I don't think this would? Perhaps the markers would be just enough for help and you control the heights, so your only getting help with the path.

I do recommend if you are struggling to do touch and go's around the ship. Leave the hook up, it's like doing bolters off the ship then go back into the pattern.

When you come back off the deck, wait till you get to 400 feet and start your 30 degree left turn back into the downwind leg and back up to 600 feet at a distance of 1.3 miles. Keep going round and round doing the touch and go's.

This will help more with learning to get good at judging the needed distances in the sim and this is how they do it and on land.

We need this field system, yep it's in the wishlist.

Do what these guy's are doing, just off the ship, no hook down.

Round and round they go.

Edited by David OC

i think its negative training. people who are learning to juggle who are already dropping the ball won't be helped if you throw in yet another "goal" for them to worry about, especially not a trivial one like "how high" which is exactly what trying to define the size of the pattern constitutes.

the foundations to a good landing has nothing to do with the size of the pattern. people break patterns because they're dropping the ball on basic component maneuvers. they're missing end speed or end altitude because they're simply_not_proficient so they're slow at responding to all the signs being constantly thrown at them.

a redcarpet path here only adds to the number of stimuli that is already overwhelming the new pilot. it's not a "training wheel" because it does not offload any work.

the only true solid way to help an overwhelmed player is to tell them to step back and work on refining fundamentals of disciplined flying outside of the carrier pattern.

you need to be able to throw and catch one ball before you can juggle three.

Edited by probad

I guess it would be OK for the guy's that are more into the gaming side of the sim and are not to serious about it all. I to was thinking when looking at this if it would introduce any negative training? I guess it might and you should avoid it if you are trying to learn the correct way. Do the training I posted above, this is how they do it do real before you are allowed out to the boat.

Just do it around the boat for now until we have a field system.

Just place waypoints around the carrier at correct altitudes and enable waypoint makers with a trigger to get a pathway. Did a mission like this for a friend with many different kinds of approaches to airfields and carriers, really helped him notice how much he was wandering around when he was supposed to fly straight.

They dont move with the carrier so it needs to be stationary, but anyone training crosswinds or moving carriers should already be proficient enough to not need waypoint markers to find the deck.

Hardest parts for me is matching my last turn in the pattern so that i end up perfectly behind the flight deck without having to make too much corrections. 300 landings and starting to get a feeling for the turns now:pilotfly:

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.