Operation Clear Field - Caucasus PvE Playground

v108 is up

Changelog v108

- Due to the result of recent testing in multiplayer environments, all AI flights (red and blue) will now start from the air

- Due to the above, the timings between red squadron spawns have been lengthened slightly

- To stop catastrophic mayhem on the carrier deck when all 8 slots spawn at once, Hornets will start on the catapults and Tomcats will start parking hot, this is to hopefully avoid them spawning on top of each other

- Carrier decorative static aircraft on elevator 1 removed due to the reasons above

Note: I am going to see if I can come up with something later down the line so that if you are running it in single player the AI flights start from the ground for immersion, and

start from the air if it is running in multiplayer. I didn't really want to have to make it air starts but too many issues come up in multiplayer otherwise.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This mission is absolutely fabulous. We spend hours on it.

Yesterday we have had a request (for you) :

the same mission BUT .... only with Cold War units (15,sabre,21,19...T55 sa2 and sa3 etc,etc .....)

Is it possible for you to spend time on this idea ? PLEASE !!!!!!!

This mission is absolutely fabulous. We spend hours on it.

Yesterday we have had a request (for you) :

the same mission BUT .... only with Cold War units (15,sabre,21,19...T55 sa2 and sa3 etc,etc .....)

Is it possible for you to spend time on this idea ? PLEASE !!!!!!!

Not at this stage, I have spent the last week re-writing the code for both this and Operation Snowfox and am busily re-testing everything before I send out the next update. Also I don't own the MiG-15, Sabre or MiG-19 so that makes testing it problematic!

v109 is up:

Changelog v109

- F-16CM bl.50 added to Kobuleti (4 slots) and Kutaisi (4 slots). Loaded with HEI-T gun ammo and no fuel tanks since we can't jettison them yet

- Extra F/A-18C's added (4 slots)

- Extra F-14B's added (4 slots)

- Plane tail numbers slightly adjusted

- More efficient code

- Pinpoint strikes can now attack ground units (the current mission target must be in the sector they were called to)

- F-15E added to the roster for pinpoint strike planes

- GameMode flag switch added which will swap the game mode between multiplayer (air starts for AI) and single player (ground starts for AI)

Note: I will post instructions with a screenshot on how to change the game mode in the Snowfox thread shortly.

This is a great mission, my friends and I have been playing it almost every night. Thanks for your hard work.

Typically its just two of us playing at any one time. Even with a fighter sweep and CAP up we're finding it difficult to complete missions in the Gudauta area because we're spending our time trying to clear enemy fighters. It's like we can't carry enough missiles while carrying any A2G stores.

Can't tell you how many times the Gudauta fighters spawn right under us.

How can I increase the time between waves? Is it just modifying the LowInterval and HighInterval values in the A2A Defense System lua?

This is a great mission, my friends and I have been playing it almost every night. Thanks for your hard work.

Typically its just two of us playing at any one time. Even with a fighter sweep and CAP up we're finding it difficult to complete missions in the Gudauta area because we're spending our time trying to clear enemy fighters. It's like we can't carry enough missiles while carrying any A2G stores.

Can't tell you how many times the Gudauta fighters spawn right under us.

How can I increase the time between waves? Is it just modifying the LowInterval and HighInterval values in the A2A Defense System lua?

That is correct, you can mess about with the timing there. I will look into increasing the intervals before the next update :thumbup:

Quick question (i know u can do it in the client) but is there a way for me in my server to disable the firing sounds by default??

Thanks

Martin

Yes the variable is inside the main script routine of the Operation Clear Field script. Look for 'OnShotSoundsEnabled = 1' and change to 0. Can't say i'm not disappointed though as I spent a lot of time getting that stuff working :(

Yes the variable is inside the main script routine of the Operation Clear Field script. Look for 'OnShotSoundsEnabled = 1' and change to 0. Can't say i'm not disappointed though as I spent a lot of time getting that stuff working :(
I love the sounds, great job with those!

Edit: and the sam launch sounds.. very cool!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I love the sounds, great job with those!

Edit: and the sam launch sounds.. very cool!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Did I mention how much I love Norwegians? I was in Kristiansand in June and I absolutely loved it, will have to come back some time and go further north and see the lights!

That is correct, you can mess about with the timing there. I will look into increasing the intervals before the next update :thumbup:

Thanks for the response. We doubled those values tonight but it still felt overwhelming. Almost like there are more than one cap group being spawned in the cap zone. But looking at the script that doesn't seem to be possible.

But,

Is this a typo? Is the Kuznetsov cap group supposed to spawn in Zone 4?

--ZONE 5 / Theta / Admiral Kuznetsov
REDA2ADispatcher:SetSquadronCap( "Theta", CAPZoneRed4, 1000, 10000, 600, 800, 800, 1200, "BARO" )
REDA2ADispatcher:SetSquadronCapInterval( "Theta", 1, 600, 1500, 1 )

Thanks for the response. We doubled those values tonight but it still felt overwhelming. Almost like there are more than one cap group being spawned in the cap zone. But looking at the script that doesn't seem to be possible.

But,

Is this a typo? Is the Kuznetsov cap group supposed to spawn in Zone 4?

--ZONE 5 / Theta / Admiral Kuznetsov
REDA2ADispatcher:SetSquadronCap( "Theta", CAPZoneRed4, 1000, 10000, 600, 800, 800, 1200, "BARO" )
REDA2ADispatcher:SetSquadronCapInterval( "Theta", 1, 600, 1500, 1 )

I will check it, lots of stuff got changed around it's possible a typo got made. Keep in mind the Western side the red air spawn and defend closer to their home base than the Eastern side, as the Eastern side bases are North of the mountains and they have further to travel to get into position. Therefore the Western side is more heavily defended, if you want to look at it that way. Sochi in particular is a hard target, similar to how Havadarya and Bandar Abbas are hard targets in Operation Snowfox.

Edit: Yes it was a typo it should be CAPZoneRed5 which is slighly more West of Sochi. I remember mucking about with it and must have forgotten to change it back. Good spotting! Fixed internally will be in the next build.

Edited by Surrexen

Version 110 is up now:

Changelog v110

- Bullseye waypoint added to F-16 groups to allow TGP to work

- Black Sea Fleet CAP Zone has been changed to a moving zone around the Kuznetsov

- Minor adjustments to red air spawn timers

By correcting and changing the way the CAP zone around the Black Sea Fleet works, It should allow for slightly more breathing room in the Western side. Therefore I have not changed the spawn timers significantly, but the maximum time has been extended to 15 minutes. Be aware since the Kuznetsov moves towards Sochi, over time the CAP zones will get closer together until the boat turns back around. Should be an interesting one to test out.

Are there any tips on identifying a target when it is a static object? As an example, the mission to destroy the "Ochamchira - Train Station" was tough in an aircraft like the F-14 where I couldn't get the precision target coordinates. I had to load up the mission in the editor just to figure out which one was the real target. Thanks!

Are there any tips on identifying a target when it is a static object? As an example, the mission to destroy the "Ochamchira - Train Station" was tough in an aircraft like the F-14 where I couldn't get the precision target coordinates. I had to load up the mission in the editor just to figure out which one was the real target. Thanks!

Yeah I could see that one being tricky in certain planes if you are doing it for the first time. Originally that mission was an actual train and not the station, but the train caused problems so I had to take it out. If you get stuck on one like that call in a pinpoint strike on the target and watch where they bomb to learn where the target is. I will take another look at that particular target and see what I can come up with to make it more visible.

I guess you could mark it with smoke, but one of the best aspects of this mission you've created is that it really teaches you how to navigate and target things without making it easy. I've learned so much about a lot of these jets on that front that it makes me feel very capable.

On one mission I, I pulled up the map and placed my mouse over the exact point listed in the target report. Using the Sat layer on the map I was able to line up the roads and other landmarks to ID the location of the target (I think this was Ochamchira - Military HQ). Then used the TPod on F-14 to find the precise building. It felt realistic, a bit of work to do this, but very rewarding.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been playing with the mission for a while and right now I'm facing a serious issue, either I'm doing something wrong or maybe there's a serious bug?

So I launch with the hornet from the carrier and immediately north there are 3 SA-8, before reaching Sukhumi. I killed them all with HARMs, actually saw the rocket smash into them, but in the end they don't die. After finishing the mission, it tells me I have zero kills, and the next time I run the mission, they are obviously still there.

Hi,

I've been playing with the mission for a while and right now I'm facing a serious issue, either I'm doing something wrong or maybe there's a serious bug?

So I launch with the hornet from the carrier and immediately north there are 3 SA-8, before reaching Sukhumi. I killed them all with HARMs, actually saw the rocket smash into them, but in the end they don't die. After finishing the mission, it tells me I have zero kills, and the next time I run the mission, they are obviously still there.

The HARM's didn't get a clean hit by the sound of it. I've seen that happen before on occasion. Sometimes the HARM will do enough damage to knock out the radar but not kill the unit. If the unit does not actually have a dead event, it won't get listed in the persistency file as being dead.

Anyway, I haven't changed any of the weapons behaviours or anything like that.

The problem is that I tried it multiple times, the HARM couldn't have missed every time, right? At least 6 shots.

The only thing that I changed in the mission was the startup time (that dawn was really getting on my nerves:P ). By the way, can the startup time be randomized a bit? That would be cool, since pilots don't go on missions at the same time of day all the time.

And of course, thank you for all the effort you put into this

The problem is that I tried it multiple times, the HARM couldn't have missed every time, right? At least 6 shots.

The only thing that I changed in the mission was the startup time (that dawn was really getting on my nerves:P ). By the way, can the startup time be randomized a bit? That would be cool, since pilots don't go on missions at the same time of day all the time.

And of course, thank you for all the effort you put into this

I dunno man, I've never had that many HARM's fail in a row. Certainly not a problem in the mission.

No the mission time can't be changed via script unfortunately, otherwise I would have made the mission start time persistent.