Rudders - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #11
filthymanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
I suspect this is a multi-faceted issue.

1. The real Mk.IX was almost certainly directionally neutrally stable; note that we have a small tailed IX - later incarnations of the IX and XVI (essentially a IX) and from introduction the VII and VII (all powered by a two stage supercharged Merlin series with a 4 bladed prop) all had a broader chord and taller rudder which would indicate the small tail, unchanged since the Mk.V, was a bit insufficient to cope with the extra power and additional blade on the prop.

We have a small tailed IX so there should be an element of reduced directional stability. This will manifest itself with some measure of lack of damping to yaw oscillations, aka wobbliness.

2. Hardware - I hear a great deal of divergence from players based solely upon the Manufacturer and model of the PC Rudder pedals they use; this comes down to all sorts of variables; the geometry of the pedals (pedal travel, both angular and linear displacement), the quality/method of the interface between the mechanical input and the digital output (pots vs hall sensors etc) and the weight/damping of any spring centring can have profound effects.

If you're using a twist stick the resolution of your control inputs will be tiny in comparison to what a real pilot faces when making small rudder inputs, plus you introduce the issue of inadvertently introducing rudder inputs whilst making displacements in pitch or roll.

3. Lack of feedback - a problem for the vast majority of PC hardware, and nearly all PC pedal controllers is there is no way to currently feedback simulated rudder airloads, which can make a profound difference.

I have Saitek Pro Pedals that are nearly 15 years old now; I find precise, refined control in any a/c in DCS a challenge with the Spit particularly sensitive, however l have developed a few workaround/hacks that make it more than manageable:

A. Use the Spitfires Frise ailerons to good affect; they almost eliminate the need to coordinate ailerons and rudder particularly with small-mid aileron displacements, so roll rather than yaw for gunnery or formation corrections.

B. Use rudder trim to try and keep the brute coordinated - or something close - in sustained flight regimes.

C. During aerobatics/ACM use tiny amounts of rudder to compensate for gyroscopic/torque effects and only go large for full aileron displacement manoeuvres.
Thank you for taking the time to explain. I've had another go and taken your advice. I've eased right off the rudder and flattened out the curves even more. This has helped and less is more. I've accepted that using trim and roll to control is more the norm.
filthymanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #12
r4y30n

There’s a reason the pedals have two rungs in the Spitfire. Most pilots during the war were taught to put their heels on top of the pedals for normal maneuvers to discourage using the rudder.
r4y30n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4y30n View Post
There’s a reason the pedals have two rungs in the Spitfire. Most pilots during the war were taught to put their heels on top of the pedals for normal maneuvers to discourage using the rudder.
IIRC I've listened it's because higer is better for holding G's while for cruising long periods it's more comfortable the lower ones.

S!
Old 10-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #14
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
IIRC I've listened it's because higer is better for holding G's while for cruising long periods it's more comfortable the lower ones.

S!
That’s correct.

"The Big Show" Spitfire Mk.IX Campaign
"Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" P-51D Campaign
"Jagdflieger" Bf-109K-4 Campaign
Follow my FACEBOOK PAGE for regular updates
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote