IFF Range

If I understand correctly, and please correct me if I am wrong, IFF system works in such a way that the transponder (on the "painted" airplane) awaits interrogation from an external radar and once "pinged" it replies, ie. transmits a reply signal.

Under the premise that the above is true:

What could be the max. range of such a system?

Does it have bigger, smaller or equal transmitting range then let's say a radar on the same aircraft or similar family or aircraft?

One thing I've also noticed in DCS, is that in ECM environment once the radar burns through the jamming signals, the IFF also somehow starts working. Unless I am completely wrong, this doesn't make much sense since I can't imagine the IFF transponder having a more powerful signal than the ECM pod/system.

Then again I might be completely wrong here as I am by no means competent to make such a claim.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

No expert on this, but for the last question, how would the IFF system know to correlate the IFF response to the ECM strobe? Remember, you do not have range/altitude information in HOJ. Just azimuth and relative elevation angle.

EDIT: misunderstood your question. Ignore lol

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

ECM and IFF are of course extremely simplified, but something to consider with ECM & IFF is that IFF is usually a different, much lower frequency (at least the one found on Su-27 and MiG-29) than air to air radars, so ECM designed to jam X-Band radars may not affect it.

Edited by BlackPixxel

Keep in mind IFF in DCS is currently binary - either Foe (but can be Neutral or Friend without working system) or Friend (positive ID). Jamming the IFF signal does not make sense anyway because the enemy cannot spoof it and will not send Friendly code. If it was Friend it probably wouldn't want to jam it's own IFF system against your interrogation signal.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

If I understand correctly, and please correct me if I am wrong, IFF system works in such a way that the transponder (on the "painted" airplane) awaits interrogation from an external radar and once "pinged" it replies, ie. transmits a reply signal.

Basically yes. With recent IFF it's also all encrypted so fibbing gets difficult.

What could be the max. range of such a system?

Does it have bigger, smaller or equal transmitting range then let's say a radar on the same aircraft or similar family or aircraft?

Depends? But generally you'll see IFF responses beyond radar range. This is how ATC is done.

One thing I've also noticed in DCS, is that in ECM environment once the radar burns through the jamming signals, the IFF also somehow starts working. Unless I am completely wrong, this doesn't make much sense since I can't imagine the IFF transponder having a more powerful signal than the ECM pod/system.

Actually you're thinking about this all wrong. First, the IFF (VHF frequencies) doesn't even come close to working on the same frequency as your (more than likely) X-Band radar. The SPJ likely isn't even looking at such a low frequency to jam, and it's not a tracking signal so it would have little reason to even try (and thus waste power on something it doesn't need to waste power on).

The IFF response would identify correctly on the scope, even if jamming. Now, calling the ECM strobe 'friendly' might be a step too far, but that all depends on how the system is programmed, in other words, it's a choice.

DCS has this part wrong WRT FC3 birds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda