Just for the hell of it

Svsmokey

Anyone compare airspeeds gear up/down ? Being a trainer , i'm thinking the retractable gear is just for that purpose , rather than a performance enhancer . Planning on Yak as my next module .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks for that . I guess i'm trying to get inside the designer's head . It doesn't seem like the small difference in drag penalty up/down would warrant the extra weight , complexity and cost unless incorporated purely for training purposes .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Anyone compare airspeeds gear up/down ?

I've gotten the Yak-52 just recently and have flown it a few hours. To me, so far, it seems the landing gear has almost no impact on airspeed whether extracted or retracted, which surprised me a little. The flaps on the other hand act like an airbrake, pretty much as is to be expected.

However, I'm really just a novice in this aircraft, it's perfectly possible and probable that all is correctly modeled and I'm just applying unwarranted expectations.

Assuming that everything is modeled correctly, it still stands to reason that the landing gear can be retracted to protect it from the drag of the oncoming airflow at speeds exceeding V(LE). I don't think anyone would build a retractable landing gear just for the fun of it, especially not Russian designers who tend to be very practical about everything they do. :thumbup:

Can't say it surprises me ! We're talking about a VERY small difference in drag flat-plate area . Agree re Russian design . But training purpose would be practical .

Thanks . That kinda confirms my thinking .