R-27AE

domini99

Hey all.

I've recently stumbled across the R-27AE missile over some Russian websites.

It would appear this is an active radar guided missile. I haven't found much information yet and I don't know what kind of guidance it uses for it's first stage and whether it was employed on the SU-27 or not.

Does anybody know more? And would it be technically possible for us to fire one from our SU-27?

Using some offline mods I already figured the SU-27 can fire AMRAAM's without a problem (hehehe), but this is not really a realistic pointer.

According to modding the SU-25t can fire HARM missiles and the SU-33 can drop 12 MK-82's from each pylon.

It would be cool if someone else knew more about it, and it would also be cool to have an active missile instead of a SARH.

You requested an Add from RL and then you talk about mods for the Su-27 with AMRAAM... Good point

The R-27EA is not officially in the Russian air force. the missile have the same form and body of the brother R-27ER, so they can easily hide the existence of such missile.

They unveiled the R-27EP just one year and half before, but this missile was already in the internal inventory. they only unveiled for export.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You requested an Add from RL and then you talk about mods for the Su-27 with AMRAAM... Good point

The R-27EA is not officially in the Russian air force. the missile have the same form and body of the brother R-27ER, so they can easily hide the existence of such missile.

They unveiled the R-27EP just one year and half before, but this missile was already in the internal inventory. they only unveiled for export.

The part about the mod was meant just as a fun, not as super-duper ultra serious fact...

Anyways... It's cool to know more about the missile, if it is hidden we can obviously not develop about it.

It isn't hidden, it was simply never produced. It was proposed and abandoned as R-77 entered production, but even that was limited and VVS did not use it AFAIK.

R-27EP may be low-inventory, 'special purpose' missile as far as anyone can tell - and that's through contacts with VVS and even that information is uncertain. RL pilots say they haven't ever trained with it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 4 years later...

I remember using this missile on old Lomac. It was fun and awesome along with EM version for 33 until ED removed it then Ubi forum exploded with protest. Swingkid (where's he now btw?) posted some good explanations regarding this (more or less same with Tharos post above).

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

R 27 modernization

10 October 2019

p1742613_main.jpg

The Ukrainian Radionix X-band active radar-homing seeker for the R-27 AAM. Source: Reuben Johnson

Ukraine's Radionix presented a full spectrum of options for modernising Russian-made fighter aircraft and air-defence systems during the 8-11 October Arms and Security expo in Kiev. The options that the company offers would enable countries still operating the Mikoyan MiG-29 or Sukhoi Su-27 and Su-30 models "to carry out a complete upgrade of their air force", said one of the senior engineering executives.

According to Radionix, MiG-29 and other Russian aircraft now in operation with former Soviet/Warsaw Pact states have not been upgraded much beyond being made NATO compatible or receiving cockpit upgrades.

"Almost none of these modernisation programmes have extended the range of the aircraft's radar or improved the range of the missiles," said a company design engineer. "In order for the aircraft to be survivable in a modern air war scenario, those Soviet-era systems have to be significantly enhanced. Otherwise it is not much of a 'modernisation'."

What the company also emphasises as its primary strength is that it does not require the assistance of Russian industry to carry out these modifications. This gives any country that adopts a Radionix upgrade autonomy from Russian suppliers, which are increasingly difficult to work with due to sanctions and other banking and trade embargoes imposed on Moscow.

Radionix offers three main upgrade options: a new radar designated the Esmerelda that would replace the Phazotron N019 model installed in the MiG-29 and the NIIP N001 in the Su-27; a new-generation electronic warfare system, the Omut-KM, that can be fitted to the aircraft internally or in an external pod; and a range of new seeker heads that can be retrofitted to Vympel R-27 (AA-10) air-to-air missiles (AAMs).

The new missile active head!

https://www.janes.com/images/default-source/news-images/fg_2413076-jdw-641.jpg?sfvrsn=55a1145c_2

Talk about thread necromancy.

Let's keep this short: You are never getting the R-27AE.

Why?

Because no one ever purchased it, and the RuAF will certainly not be purchasing it from Ukraine.

Not only that, but the MiG-29s and Flankers simulated in DCS might be capable of equipping this missile at all - it may well depend on the SM+ upgrades.

And for that reason, you're not getting any RVV-SD either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I don't need to watch the video, I've been in this for 20 years. You're not getting it. The R-27EA was deliberately removed because it was never seen in production.

Case in point, your radar brochure is NOT the radar that the simulated MiG-29 and Su-27 use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am not speak to R 27AE. I link the video Ukraine presented to R 27R and R 27ER missile modernization. Great solution to Flanker pilots. And you dont understand to problem all Flanker pilot in BVR air combat. R 27ER full useless vs Amrram like online PvP servers!

Sorry bad english!

And you dont understand to problem all Flanker pilot in BVR air combat.

Of course I do.

R 27ER full useless vs Amrram like online PvP servers!

R-27 series of missiles are not good competitors for an AMRAAM platform. They should always be at a disadvantage in BVR, and you should never expect a fair 1v1 experience.

If you want a better radar and newer missiles, ED or some 3rd party would have to provide the Su-27SM+ that is actually capable of using those.

In the absence of that, get your friends and work up effective tactics for many vs many.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry to necro this thread. I was searching the forum for Flanker MFD export and the result was one of this thread lol. Didnt see the date it was posted and just a little bit nostalgic of me I was tempted to reply lol.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze